Hello from Ireland

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 04:47 AM
Gaz
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Ireland

Hi guys, I just joined, nice site.
I got a 97 Civic hatch, 1.6 DOHC Vtec with a few minor mods, putting out about 170bhp. There's not many Honda-specific sites in Ireland or the UK for sharing information, so I'm way happy to find this! If I can just get my head round some if the different terms you use over there ..........

Gaz

Old 01-08-2002, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hello from Ireland (Gaz)

welcome!

There are a few other members here from Ireland, GB, and Europe. They'll probably be able to help translate for you.

Was that DOHC 1.6 the stock motor in your hatch? Is it an SiR? You guys get all the cool stuff over there. We have to swap in our B16's...
Old 01-08-2002, 05:24 AM
Gaz
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hello from Ireland (Barabus)

Thanks!

We get a VTi model here in the hatchback which uses the B16a as its stock engine, with 160bhp. That was in both the 4th gen and 5th gen Civic. I've added racing plugs to mine, induction filter, exhaust, took off the Catalytic Convertor and have an Apex Vtec controller on order. Its about 170bhp at the moment.

Thats the flagship model - the next one down the line uses a 1.5 SOHC Vtec, and the next one is just a standard 1.4 16valve.

Do you guys get the 6th Gen Civic Type R over there? Its just been released here, with a 200bhp i-Vtec engine as stock, with 145mph and 0-60 in 6.7 secs. Only £16k too!!

I find it very refreshing to find a site like this. Honda tuning is only taking off over here now cos they've suffered from an image problem for a long time (too many pensioners driving Hondas!) and a lot of the modders here have traditionally stuck with Vauxhall, Ford, Peugot, Citroen and Renault for tuning. As such, there's very little engine mods being done - its mostly wheels and bodykits. I have yet to see a Civic anywhere with a 2.2 or a turbo'd B16a. NOS is a fairly new thing here too, and only because everyone saw it in Fast and the Furious (which was hardly realistic lol).

Anyway, I look forward to picking up lots of tuning tips from you guys. Thanks for the welcome

Gaz
Old 01-08-2002, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh, VTi. Love Honda's label management... And, no we don't get the Type R. We get the Si, a watered-down version.

It's cool that the Honda scene is new and fresh over there. Here it seems played out sometimes. Well, let's just call it "well thought out." You'll get answers to all your questions here, for sure.
Old 01-08-2002, 05:42 AM

Hey do you have that thing armor plated?? Way to many bombs going off over there for my tastes.

So yeah there are a few other Honda sites like H-T on the net over here. I've discussed Hondas with people from Aussiland, Africa, Europe and South East Asia. Hondas are the universal language of love!!!

<FONT COLOR="Crimson">Civic + CRX + Prelude + Accord </FONT><FONT COLOR="blue">| the United Colors Of Honda | </FONT><FONT COLOR="crimson">Passport + Del Sol + CRV + S2000</FONT>

Hey if your going to steal this at least give me some credit for creative design.

[Modified by Civic242, 9:45 AM 1/8/2002]
Old 01-08-2002, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks!

Do you guys get the 6th Gen Civic Type R over there? Its just been released here, with a 200bhp i-Vtec engine as stock, with 145mph and 0-60 in 6.7 secs. Only £16k too!!

Damn, that makes me SOOOOO mad!!!

****** watered down piece of **** si!
Old 01-08-2002, 05:53 AM
Gaz
Honda-Tech Member

"Hey do you have that thing armor plated?? Way to many bombs going off over there for my tastes"

lol ........... its really not as bad as you guys read, or see on the news. Things have got a lot better than they were 25 years ago. Fact, I was in USA in the summer there for a while and felt more at risk in some areas than I do here! Thats not a reference to terrorism by the way, this was way before September.

I think we get the 1.6 Si here too, though its probably got a different badge. Why do Honda do that? Bloody confusing....

Gaz
Old 01-08-2002, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to improve the feel on the b16a:
first lightened flywheel (either shaved stock or get a aluminium or cromoly piece), stock can be usually done to 12-3lbs safely, most aftermarket are (7-10lbs), stock is about 18lbs....

then rechip your ECU, so that speedlimiter or different vtec or rev limit can be obtained and improved timing and fuel maps

lightweight wheels do wonders for response and handling, also low profile tires can improve the FD and feel as well

Old 01-08-2002, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hello from Ireland (eg6ajk)

Hey man welcome to the site! Your car looks nice if thats the one in your avatar! Sorry to point this out but those are the 7th gen Civics that just came out!

So anyways, what terms do you not understand?
Old 01-08-2002, 06:12 AM
Gaz
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hello from Ireland (eg6ajk)

Nice one. I don't have lightweight alloys but I am running on 205" 45" 17s.
Would like to go lower, but our Irish roads aren't great and this is my daily driver.

Talking of daily driver, my main priority to is to keep reliability - not go faster, but keep reliability and go faster.

As such, wot do you guys advise against? I'm not going as far as forced induction yet, but I've got my eye on a few cheaper mods while I save some cash. Are the vtec controllers harmful to the engine? I am aware that they don't produce any extra bhp, but is it sore on the engine to have the high-lift cam coming in 1000revs+ lower than normal?

Gaz
Old 01-08-2002, 06:14 AM
Gaz
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hello from Ireland (WAFFLES)

Thanks for the welcome again, that is my car in the Avatar.
I think the terms for some of the mods are different over here , e.g. we never say 'headers' or 'ground effects'. I'll tackle them as I meet them!

Gaz

Old 01-08-2002, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

VTEC controllers do help produce power by fully tuning your engine. Cams are good, like the R cams. Other internal stuff is good too.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:20 AM
Gaz
Honda-Tech Member

Thats my baby - Lexus rear lights, 17" OZ Velas, Sebring Twin exhaust, JR Induction kit, NGK Triple Groove plugs, de-catted. Custom guage pod (3 guages) in console. Gimme a chance, I've only started :D Hoping to get a Wings West kit imported over here soon.

Ok, thats 3 posts in a row, I'll give you all a break now :D

Gaz
Old 01-08-2002, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't go WW man, they're cheapo's! Get something like a CWEST or BUDDY CLUB or MUGEN, something real nice!

I like those wheels too man! NOt much for 17s but they're sweet looking anyway!
Old 01-08-2002, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What octane do you guys use up there?
Old 01-08-2002, 07:42 AM

nice hatch!
Old 01-08-2002, 07:45 AM
l

0-60 in 6.7 seconds?? how is that... maybe 0-100kmh is more like 0-62mph cause 6.7 seconds is slow.... VeeTec's stock TAURUS would be as fast as a new Civic TYPE R....
Old 01-08-2002, 07:46 AM

Thats my baby - Lexus rear lights, 17" OZ Velas, Sebring Twin exhaust, JR Induction kit, NGK Triple Groove plugs, de-catted. Custom guage pod (3 guages) in console. Gimme a chance, I've only started :D Hoping to get a Wings West kit imported over here soon.

Ok, thats 3 posts in a row, I'll give you all a break now :D

Gaz
LOL he's got Lexus Lights!!! **** we call them Altezzas from the JDM IS-300 which was the Altezza/IS-200.

Anyway nice looking ride, black and very clean looking too!! Like the side markers too. :thumbsup:
Old 01-08-2002, 07:47 AM
New User

Default Re: Hello from Ireland (mano77)

`if your gonna get a kit i'll buy the stock ones from u an make it worth your while.
do you have any more pics&gt;? email me at m1sledyouth@hotmail.com if you are interested.
thanks
jesse
Old 01-08-2002, 08:43 AM
Gaz
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hello from Ireland (misledyouth)

Oooops I meant to say Altezza - everyone over here knows it as the Lexus. Well there ya go, first example of our terminology problem!

0-60 in 6.7 ain't that slow. I know you guys tends to use the 0-100/km and Quarter mile times for comparisons, over here its all 0-60, max speed and BHP.
Remember, we have very different markets over here. There's no V6 or V8 market like you guys have over there cos petrol is so expensive here. We tend to have small hot hatches (e.g. 1.6, 1.8, 2.0), turbocharged saloons (Subaru Impreza WRX, Mitsubishi Evo), and the larger engines go into the more expensive stuff such as Porsches, Ferraris, TVRs. My dad just bought a BMW 850 CSi and while its a great car, it costs a fortune to run withs it V12 engine.
As such, the Civic Type R is pitted against competition which generally cracks 60 in 7-8 seconds and maxes out around 125-135mph. In that scenario, its quite a fast car for the money, and not hard to run either. There's really no other cars for sale at that price with the same performance, bodykit or wheels.

Gaz

[Modified by Gaz, 5:44 PM 1/8/2002]
Old 01-08-2002, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What's a "saloon"? Rally???
Old 01-08-2002, 08:48 AM
Gaz
Honda-Tech Member

Saloon is just a general 4-door family car. We would call the 5-series BMW a saloon, while the 2-door 3 series is a Coupe, for example.

p.s. general Octane rating in the uk is 95 RON, while you can pick up 98 Super Unleaded in the South of Ireland.

Gaz

[Modified by Gaz, 5:49 PM 1/8/2002]
Old 01-08-2002, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey.. im from Ireland to. Way down in Cork tho.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:51 AM
Banned

Default Re: Hello from Ireland (misledyouth)

EVERYONE and their mother with a 96-98 Hatch should be offering this guy a WINGS WEST KIT look at the bumpers he has on his car, they're the oh god allmighty JDM looking bumper with the molding all around!!! If I have an EK i'd be offering this guy a WW kit and some...he's got the bumpers everyone wants....oh JDM JDM JDM...! Hell GAZ you should go around to all the people u know with kits on their 96-98 hatches and get their stock bumpers and sell them on here!!!
Old 01-08-2002, 08:53 AM
Gaz
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hello from Ireland (fr0stee tr00per)

Hi Downeybear, nice to meet a fellow leprechaun! How long u been in US?

Forgive my ignorance here guys, but whats the fascination with my (stock) bumpers? And whats JDM - Jap Domestic Market? These are the standard bumpers over here, ugly bastards and I want rid of them asap.

I like the Wings West Tuner kit. Might be common as muck in the USA, but its rarity in this part of the world - I've only seen one Civic in the flesh with it.

Gaz

Quick Reply: Hello from Ireland