Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hello, Im new and need civic help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:11 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, Im new and need civic help!!!!!

Ive wanted a honda for years, they are the koolest cars on the road...Im civic mad but drive a french hatchback, (bad i know, dont tell me about it)

I know a bit about civics etc...was looking at getting a jdm sir s spec prelude but with the rates locally the costs is way too high for me and not worth it by the time the car gets over here. You can get a 96 jdm dc2 for 5000.

So Im thinking civic, lots of parts available..used and new...and lots of options

even jdm eg6 SIR2's that come over imported are still expensive...too expensive i think for what they are....£3500-4000 often with a few mods on. That is an option but again the problem now is the very very poor £ to yen exhange rate....

170bhp standard and LSD and usualy jdm extras......you know the rest..

a car (eh eg6 sir2) that would usually cost 3000-3500 to import now costs well over 5000 ....great timing......

Another problem with the engine swap route is places to do it, there is none here where I live which sucks ***. So I then think well maybe just buy a jdm integra dc2 at £5000 but that will take quite a while and Im getting impacient. Also the extra inusrance costs all add to that.

I want to limit this to around £3500-4000 over time all in. Not sure how that woprks out in $ now but I can get a jdm b18c5 for approx £2200 and a civic 95 1.5 vtec for around £750-800. Thne Id have to find a place that would fit it who might have no clue about the job or the car etc....and it could all go **** up wrong and Id be left with a total waste of money....
also the 1.5 ls have drum brakes etc and crap suspention so Id then have to source either vti/sir bits and get them fitted...probly end up costing way too much for the budget..

and if the paint was a mess theres another 1000+

Whats the best option I have here.????

The idea of having a civic hatch eg/ek and insuring it as a 1.5 is appealing when really its a 200bhp integra motored beast. Im very into the clean simple jdm look.

So

Eg's are cheaper but are more prone to rust, ek's look better IMO....which handle better though because straight line blasting quarter mile aint my thing..I like tight twisty back roads to tear around so handling is important.

£3500-4000 fast civic hatch, any ideas?

ek4's over here still sell far too high in my opinion, they are often ruined too by stupid idiots putting cheap *** 17" wheels on, naff bodykits and stupid flashing crap inside with lame speaker system installs. I play in a rock band so I get my noise out there... If thats your thing, kool....

I love f1 and world rally so corners are my thing..

maybe Ive answered my own question here....jdm sir2 eg6....but they are expensive at the moment as i said...exchange rates are a bitch. I dont want to have to get any paint/bosdy work either

HELP honda fellow nuts!!

Oh i bought a book.....aint got it yet....maybe next week....Honda Engine Swaps
By Aaron Bonk. That will help a bit more.

another thought the jdm sir2 eg6..........is rated at 170bhp....will that be on jdm higher octane fuel.....over here UK...the regular petrol is 95 ron..and super unleaded is 98.....So it might not run to the 170bhp potencial.??.....and how easy would it be to squeeze more performance from a jdm sir2 b16a2....jdm integra intakes etc....? would that be the way to go......? bigger throttle body and inlet manifold etc? I donr want BIG expense mods..rather bolt on stuff I can fit myself.....(I aint a mechanic) getting one with uprated suspension, wheels and exhaust already on would be great i guess...and cheaper for me...but what you find importers charge more for all that .....more than they should....and the total price goes up.

eg theres a place selling a 1998 jdm sir ek4 for 4995....What a rip off....dc2 integras are the same price and better...see what i mean by price jumping because of a few mods...

£3995 fair enouhg...but 5k for a ek4....crazy...

WRC Sales bradford : HONDA CIVIC SIR JDM

edge
Old 04-03-2009, 09:23 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Hello, Im new and need civic help!!!!!

Originally Posted by jdmrule4life
I've wanted a Honda for years. They're the coolest cars on the road. I'm Civic mad but drive a French hatchback (bad, I know, don't tell me about it).

I know a bit about Civics.

I was looking at getting a JDM Prelude SiR-S, but with the rates locally the costs is way too high for me and not worth it by the time the car gets over here. You can get a '96 JDM DC2 for £5,000 ($6,741).

So, I'm thinking of the Civic. There are lots of parts available, used and new, and lots of options.

Even JDM EG6 SiR-2s that come over imported are still expensive. Too expensive, I think, for what they are. £3,500-4,000 ($4,719-5,393) often with a few mods on. That is an option, but again the problem now is the very very poor £ to yen exchange rate.

170bhp standard and LSD and usually JDM extras. You know the rest.

A car (EH EG6 SiR-2) that would usually cost £3,000-3,500 ($4,045-4,719) to import now costs well over £5,000 ($6,741). Great timing.

Another problem with the engine swap route is what places to do it. There are none here where I live, which sucks ***. So, I then think, "Well maybe I should just buy a JDM DC2 Integra at £5,000 ($6,741)." But that will take quite a while and I'm getting impatient. Also the extra insurance costs all add to that.

I want to limit this to around £3,500-4,000 ($4,719-5,393) over time all in. I'm not sure how that works out in cash now but I can get a JDM B18C5 for approx £2,200 ($2966) and I could get a '95 Civic 1.5 VTEC for around £750-800 ($1,011-1,079). Then I'd have to find a place that would swap it who might have no clue about the job or the car etc. It could all go **** up wrong and I'd be left with a total waste of money.

Also, the 1.5 LA have drum brakes, etc. and crap suspension so I'd then have to source either VTi/SiR bits and get them fitted. It'd probably end up costing way too much for the budget.

Plus if the paint is a mess there's another £1,000+ ($1,348+).

What's the best option I have here?

The idea of having an EG or EK Civic hatch and insuring it as a 1.5 is appealing when really its a 200bhp Integra-motored beast. I'm very into the clean, simple JDM look.

So:

EGs are cheaper but are more prone to rust, EKs look better IMO.\

Which handle better though? Because straight line blasting quarter mile isn't my thing. I like tight twisty back roads to tear around, so handling is important.

£3,500-4,000 ($4,719-5,393) fast Civic hatch, any ideas?

EK4's over here still sell far too high in my opinion. They are often also ruined by stupid idiots adding cheap *** 17" wheels, body kits and stupid flashing crap inside with lame speaker system installs. I play in a rock band so I get my noise out there. If that's your thing, cool.

I love F1 and world rally so corners are my thing.

Maybe I've answered my own question here. JDM EG6 SiR-2, but they are expensive at the moment as I said, exchange rates are a bitch. I don't want to have to get any paint or body work either.

HELP fellow Honda nuts!!

Oh I bought a book. I haven't gotten it yet, maybe next week. Honda Engine Swaps by Aaron Bonk. That will help a bit more.

Another thought: The JDM EG6 SiR-2 is rated at 170bhp. Will that be on JDM higher octane fuel?

Over here in the UK the regular petrol is 95 RON and super unleaded is 98 RON. So will it run to the 170bhp potential? How easy would it be to squeeze more performance from a JDM SiR-2 B16A2? JDM Integra intakes, etc? Would that be the way to go? Bigger throttle body and inlet manifold etc? I don't want BIG expense mods. I'd rather bolt on stuff I can fit myself (I'm not a mechanic). Getting a car with uprated suspension, wheels and exhaust already on would be great, I guess, and cheaper for me. But what you'll find is importers charge more for all that, more than they should, and the total price goes up.

There's a place selling a 1998 JDM EK4 SiR for £4,995 ($6,735). What a rip off.

DC2 Integras are the same price and better. See what I mean by price jumping because of a few mods?

£3,995 ($5,386) is fair enough, but £5,000 ($6,741) for an EK4? Crazy.

WRC Sales Bradford : HONDA CIVIC SIR JDM

Edge
I formatted your post a bit to try to get a better idea of what you're trying to say.

You have A LOT going on in that post. Too much, in my opinion. You need to clear your thoughts up a bit before you go and use Honda-Tech as Notepad.

CLIFFS

- Always liked Civics (EG and EK) because of the parts and options available.
- Wanted JDM Prelude SiR-S, but decided they're too expensive.
- Does not know where to get engine swap done locally and does not know enough to do the swap himself.
- Wants to limit the price to around £3,500-4,000 ($4,719-5,393) total.
- Likes the thought of buying a cheaper car and paying insurance for that lower trim level, but having better options, like the engine, than the stock chassis had.
- Says the EG chassis cars are cheaper, but are more prone to rust.
- Says EK chassis cars look better to him.
- Wants to know if the EG or EK handles better in twists and turns.
- Likes Civic hatches.
- Will UK gas affect the horsepower rating of an EG6 SiR-2? How could you squeeze out more power?
- Wants cheaper mods, not very expensive.
- Wants mods he can install himself.
- Would like the car to have upgraded suspension, wheels and exhaust already.

Cars Mentioned:

- '96 JDM DC2 = £5,000 ($6,741) (says interested in this, but will take awhile and he's impatient)
- '92-'95 JDM EG6 SiR-2 = £3,500-4,000 ($4,719-5,393) (TOO EXPENSIVE)
- '95 Civic 1.5 VTEC = £750-800 ($1,011-1,079) (but car has drum brakes, poor suspension and other things he would like to upgrade - is afraid this would bring him over budget)
- '98 JDM EK4 = £4,995 ($6,735) (too expensive, says £3,995 ($5,386) would be fair) (says likely to be riced out)

- JDM B18C5 = £2,200 ($2,966)

My Comments:

Anyway, from what I can see it looks like you aren't willing to pay what anyone is asking for the cars you would like to own.

I suspect if you pay what you would like to pay, you will end up with a cheaper car with more problems than you would like to deal with (or pay for).

Your expectations are a bit higher than they should be. You want a car with upgraded performance parts and a a DOHC VTEC engine, but want to pay the cheapest insurance (you like the idea of paying insurance for a lower trim with a lower horsepower engine) and the cheapest price for the car.

All the cars you mentioned are more expensive than you'd like to pay though.

You've got to pay to play.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:12 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i meant putting a jdm b18c in a 1.5 and insuring it as a 1.5..that way its cheaper for tax and insurance. I heard recently that the civic prices have dropped in japan but the exchance rates so poor, its not worth it. The ek 4's are expensive for some reason...over the eg6 version. Ive saw quite a few eg's around for approx 3200 but they are often tatty from photos etc on the web.

I think the engine swap route works out more expensive than buying a fast car to start with. for instance...

car 1000
engine 2300
labour (god knows) 500
parts (suspention etc) 100's
paint (likely required on a old car) 1000

dc2 jdm integra grade 4b, 4750

eg6 civic (when exchange rate improves) 4000 for a good one

I want the best drivers car. eg6 or ek4. Not sure whats best for handling as they come.

What I was saying about cost, cars come over with wheels, exhayst and maybe suspension and sellers bump the prices up unfairly because of that, over what they should be in reality. Some are fair but others charge too much for the importing.

theres a place a few hundred miles away that told me he could get one...showed me examples of grading etc...diff cars that went through the site....and 3500+ would get a good one and he would only charge 200 for the importing etc regardless of what the car sells for in the auction. I am going to have to hold out for the exchange rate to improve a lot.....who knows if it will and how long it will take

i get that tidy cars cost more...and through dealers...they cost a lot more....if i knew what i w3as doing id import it myself...but i dont....so the 200 charge is very good.

filter all that..
what handles best

eg6

or

ek4

a strange thing is ive noticed....jdm dc2 integras are 4500-5000 thats grade 4 50,000 miles

and the ek9 civic which isnt as good as the dc2 is well over 6000-7500

strange how values stick and some start to drop. Surely the integra is more car for the money...so you would think value would be based on that

speaking of values. a jdm sir2 with integra type r eingine in and a lot of other good spec mods just sold for 3300!!!! and looked pretty clean. Theres an example of good value. Was a private sale

here it is. i missed a chance there

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/949947.htm

heres another one on ebay now...31 miles from my house.,shame i aint got 3500+ sitting ready just yet

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CIVIC-IN...QQcmdZViewItem

heres a standard sir2. this guys cars are a little over the guide jdm prices but this one looks clean

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/573123.htm

and what i would call a good value ek4. sitting a little low and shame its had 17" rims on but...not bad.

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/910836.htm

heres an example of a rip off ek4

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/964342.htm

low miles yes....but price is too high for what is on offer. guide price is £3400+

so can you see how importers charge over the odds for cars with just a few mods on when you can get a car with all kinds of good specs for a lot less...private sales that is

Last edited by jdmrule4life; 04-04-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you expect to pay a little over $4,000 U.S. for that blue ek4? (used google for conversion)

thats what an ls swapped 2000 hatch goes for. stop trying to haggle like its the swap meet you get what you pay for