Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hello Honda

Old 07-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hello Honda

Hello everyone, new Honda owner here and looking to solve some problems or get insight on some possible fixes.

I just bought a 99' 69,xxx civic SI with a 10,xxx motor and turbo.

I love the thing, quick as **** and isn't AWD like my old WRX but still gets to the gone.

getting used to the honda scene and all the elements there are a few things I was wondering about that the seller told me about the car but my scatterbrain can't seem to replicate.

1.) the A/F ratio seems to always run toward rich. I've been told that isn't too much of a problem, and a good tune should fix it with the Hundata on the passenger side (don't know **** about that thing).

2.) The gear box seems great except for reverse which is harder getting into than a prom night virgin. I was told to just double pump the clutch and that it was a common problem but just wanted to know some thoughts on that. other than reverse, shifting is good.

3.) As I said before, I don't know squat about the b16's and 18's and all that malarkey but in the swap the A/C fan was taken out to make space for the new motor on the swap. it doesn't seem like there is much room for a replacement but some ghetto rigging seems to be possible.

4.) The owner popped the hood for me to check it out but I guess the switch is broken or something and theres a trick to popping it. haven't gotten in contact with the dude but there is a little steel rod with a plastic tip with alot of surrounding empty space under the sunroof panel control which I believe to be it.

5.) The car came with a turbo timer and I've never used one of those guys. is it better just to use it because I'm wary of just leaving the car running even for a few minutes..

Thanks all, really appreciate the look and any help possible. Looks like a great forum, can't wait to get myself all up in it.

Ian

Last edited by BOV gets em wet; 07-21-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hello Honda

I'll do my best here...

1) Was the car tuned or is it running a base map? Rich is good, compared to Lean.

2) Hard to get in Reverse? It's a Honda get used to it lol, Try putting it in 5th then Reverse, it's should make it easier.

3) AC is for losers, Depending on the setup, prob won't be able to use it, please don't ghetto anything on the car.

4)EK's are bad for the pop lever to break, Just grab whats left of the lever, which should still have some plastic on a piece of wire or something I can't remember, with a pair of pliers. (and keep them in the door storage pocket lol)

5) Turbo timer, never had a boosted car nor do I know how to work the timer so someone else will have to take that one lol,

Hope that helps a little, BTW got pics of the car?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xSteve_Ox
I'll do my best here...

1) Was the car tuned or is it running a base map? Rich is good, compared to Lean.

2) Hard to get in Reverse? It's a Honda get used to it lol, Try putting it in 5th then Reverse, it's should make it easier.

3) AC is for losers, Depending on the setup, prob won't be able to use it, please don't ghetto anything on the car.

4)EK's are bad for the pop lever to break, Just grab whats left of the lever, which should still have some plastic on a piece of wire or something I can't remember, with a pair of pliers. (and keep them in the door storage pocket lol)

5) Turbo timer, never had a boosted car nor do I know how to work the timer so someone else will have to take that one lol,

Hope that helps a little, BTW got pics of the car?

I'm pretty sure the car was tuned, seems a lil pointless to have an aftermarket ecu and not tune it.. but I'll see!

the hood latch works like a champ with the pliers, thanks!

AC I guess is something I can live without.. took me three cars before I had a working one my whole time in FL anyway lol. but I'll be going to hawaii here shortly so I might wanna look into that..

the reverse is still being a cranky bitch even from 5th, I wonder if this is a common problem with the 5mt or something else..

but thanks for the help anyway! I'll see If I can't upload some pics tommorow.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might try a fluid flush with some syncromesh for the trans... if everything but the ac fan is still in the car and hooked up, i'd look into getting a small slim fan, and attaching it to the front of the condenser once you flip it to push instead of pull.

j/w, do you have any pix? sounds like a sweet ride