Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Height adjustable shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 05:24 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Height adjustable shocks?

This is pretty much a simple question but i've gotten like three different answers from several people. Are there height adjustable shocks out there? Every time I ask a shop they either try to sell me coilovers (i've dropped my car approx. 2.25 in. with H&R springs) or they say no such thing. One guy told me Konig makes some. Just thought i'd ask you guys. Thanks

p.s: I used to be an all show guy until i found this board. U guys have taught me a lot in a short time about engines and cars in general (i'm one of those guys who has a pretty nice ride but knows **** about it) Keep talkin and i'll keep learnin. Anyways, thanks guys.
Old 06-27-2001, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Height adjustable shocks? (BOne2000SiR)

uh..... I "think" that tokico Illumina's are height adjustable, and some koni's...... think being the key word here. I just got into suspension recently so you better wait for someone elses advice first..
Old 06-27-2001, 07:33 AM
Trial User

My Koni yellows are 3-way "height adjustable" using the adjustable spring perches.
Old 06-27-2001, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Height adjustable shocks? (ekimmel)

yes there are height adjustable shocks out there, but its better to adjust w/ springs
Old 06-27-2001, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"height adjustable shocks" may have different meanings to different people. Koni yellows are "height adjustable" in that the perch that the spring sits on is movable up and down. This is identical to how an adjustable coilover kit works, except the coilover kit would have more adjustment options since the adjustment's make via a threaded collar. However, this method is where the spring sits relative to the shock (lower the perch and the spring sits lower on the shock). Some shocks (mostly in coilover kits) have adjustable length shock bodies. In this case, the lower spring perch stays where it's at (thus the spring stays static relative to the shock) and the body of the shock itself can be lengthened or shortened. These types of shocks/coilovers are fairly expensive. the advantage of adjusting the shock body length snstead of the spring height relative to the shock is that you can keep full piston travel of the shock. If you lower the spring relative to the shock, the distance the piston w/in the shock can travel is shortened also and you'll hit your bumpstops quicker. Lowering the car via shock body length eliminates this effect. This is the better way to adjust height, if it's available on the coilovers you have. The spring perches should be used instead for corner-weighting if your shock is adjustable length.

p.s. In a sense, the guy that said Konig makes some is right as their coilovers have adjustable length shocks. Other brands include Tein, Zeal, Tanabe, Cusco, and a few other expensive ones.
Old 06-27-2001, 09:23 AM
New User

Koni Sport (yellows) allows you to move the spring perch up or down. And also allows you to adjust the rebound tension as well. Tokico only allow you to adjust the rebound.

My suggestion if you already have springs and want to go lower are the Konis. I love mine. But you should really get a coilover conversion like the Skunk2 or Ground Control... or any of the other thousand coilover kits they have these days.