Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Heel toe driving?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heel toe driving?

What does that mean. I see the pictures of the right foot hitting the break and the gas at the same time. I can't do that with my oem pedals.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Heel toe driving? (ramz7887)

yes you can. just practice more - it takes some time, but once you get it figured out its natural. i do it pretty well after a month of practice, its just hard to blip the throttle the exact proper amount. http://www.turnfast.com
Old 10-26-2003, 06:38 PM

yeah i tried to do it a few times. i had to turn my leg and my whole body like 90 degrees in order to hit both pedals and i still couldnt apply any pressure to either
Old 10-26-2003, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Heel toe driving? (TorganFM)

I tried it from time to time, but it doesnt seem to work for me to well. I would rather take a sharp turn feathering the clutch like crazy.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man its easy. Most people use the side of their foot to revmatch. Its extremely hard to actually put your heal on there and do it without aftermarket pedals.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heel toe driving? (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man its easy. Most people use the side of their foot to revmatch. Its extremely hard to actually put your heal on there and do it without aftermarket pedals.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, its not that hard, sometimes ill actually get my heel up on the pedal, but usually its just the side of my foot. the only trouble im having now is my toe slipping off the brake pedal sometimes.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Heel toe driving? (JUN EK9)

i dont use my heal and toes. i use the sides of my feet. Big toe on the brake, little toe on the gas. i dont do it often nor am i good at it.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:53 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heel toe driving? (kabaroo)

Use your ankel; not your leg.

Just keep practicing when you come to rail road crossings, stop signs, and stop lights. After a few weeks it's natural. And the OEM pedals are fine after practicing.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

feet are too big.

have to use the ball of my foot and my heel.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Heel toe driving? (clm)

yeah for me its not really heel toe. more like side of my shoe toe.
sit in your car with the engine off and practice the motion for fifteen minutes. brake, pivot your heel over, clutch, tap the gas, engage clutch. keep doing that over and over till you get it programmed in your head. then when you are drving you'll know what to do and wont just mash all kinds of pedals.

then just try it everytime you slow down, figure out what you need to do better and fix it. also, get good at rev matching first as its the whole idea of heel toe - just rev matching while applying the brake.

i figure it will take me about a year to be a pro at it. practice practice practice.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heel toe driving? (jwn7)

its called heel toe downshifting....u aply the brake wit the heel and blip the throttle with the toe to match revs...try braking wit just your heel first...don't use the clutch and tranny to slow the car down its just to make the downshift in gear smoother ...like a F1 car or f1 paddle shifting.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Heel toe driving? (jwn7)

These pedals make for some good heel-toe action

Old 10-26-2003, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Heel toe driving? (EG2 SiR)

aftermarket pedals make it quite easier......
Old 10-26-2003, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Heel toe driving? (SikCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SikCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its called heel toe downshifting....u aply the brake wit the heel and blip the throttle with the toe to match revs...try braking wit just your heel first...don't use the clutch and tranny to slow the car down its just to make the downshift in gear smoother ...like a F1 car or f1 paddle shifting. </TD></TR></TABLE>
seems like your backwards......
Old 10-26-2003, 09:33 PM

I press the gas with with my toes and leave my heel on the brake.

My pedals are stock, btw.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heel toe driving? (Brandon EM1)

No need to upgrade to blingbling pedals. OEM's work fine.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Me heel-and-toeing. It's about 95% natural for me now. Once in awhile I'll have to think about it, but usually I just do it. I use the ball of my foot on the brake and swing my heel over just enough so that I can blip the throttle. Your entire heel doesn't have to be on the gas pedal; just get it over enough so that when you press down, the tach needle moves. For me, it takes a bit of stretching because I have small feet, but you get used to it if you also have small feet. (No jokes, please. )

Heel-and-toeing is fun once you get the hang of it. I have an off-ramp that exits at a 90-degree turn. I heel-and-toe down 5-4-3-2, get on the gas, and accelerate through. Yeah, I really don't have to, but it's just neat listening to the engine in the process.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heel toe driving? (Daniel)

this might seem stupid, but what the hell is the purpose of this, i seen it on a japaneses video i downloaded of the type r racing
Old 10-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heel toe driving? (sleepingeg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleepingeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this might seem stupid, but what the hell is the purpose of this, i seen it on a japaneses video i downloaded of the type r racing</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you buy any Best Motoring tapes/DVDs, you'll see it done a lot more. As for why? http://www.turnfast.com/tech_d...lasso
Old 10-26-2003, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SikCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its called heel toe downshifting....u aply the brake wit the heel and blip the throttle with the toe to match revs...try braking wit just your heel first...don't use the clutch and tranny to slow the car down its just to make the downshift in gear smoother ...like a F1 car or f1 paddle shifting. </TD></TR></TABLE>

seems like you think your the backwards man
Old 10-26-2003, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heel toe driving? (JUN EK9)

lil fyi im right i learned it at a professional driving school the reason for heel on the brake and toe on the throttle is toe has more sensitivity than the heel...maybe all of you should invest in a weekend course at a real road course wit real drivers
Old 10-26-2003, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SikCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe all of you should invest in a weekend course at a real road course wit real drivers</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay, Mr. Expert. I've seen countless footage of professional drivers heel-and-toe around race tracks and have never ONCE seen them brake with the heel and blip with the toe. Not saying your method doesn't work, but perhaps you shouldn't talk down to everyone. Taking a driving course is a good thing, though. My older brother and I are planning on doing the Skip Barber 3-day racing school.

Actually, the only time I've seen your method is in _Who Am I?_, starring Jackie Chan. There's a scene where the rally racer is driving the Lancer EVO. She brakes with her heel and then stabs the gas with her toes to fling rocks at the bad guys when they were stuck in a gravel trap. I just tried doing it the way she did while sitting in my chair, and it felt like my ankle was going to snap off.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:40 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SikCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...toe on the throttle is toe has more ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

huh? toe on throttle is toe has more...? anyways i would think you want the more sensitive body part on the brake so
that you may modulate and control the brakes. all you do on the gas is punch it for a sec to keep the engine speed up
to match when downshifting.
i think your driving school has failed on you. so did the grammer school you went to.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heel toe driving? (Mr. Choi)

ok sry about the bad wording...

i like the who am i movie...wish i could find it on dvd!

anyways back to heel toe... 2 reasons for heel on brake and toe on throttle....your toe is more sensitive and should be on the throttle...second it is easier to pivot your foot from the heel instead of the toe. u should pivot off the brake and roll to the throttle.

btw skip barber schools are good , but if you are in cali try jim russel up at sears point or the school out at willows springs
Old 10-27-2003, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SikCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i like the who am i movie...wish i could find it on dvd!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Off-topic but check out Fry's Electronics. That's where I got my copy on DVD. =D It was only like $10 or $12, too.

I've heard good things about Jim Russell schools. Haven't heard anything about the one in Willows Springs. Skip Barber is supposed to be hosting one of their 3-day racing schools at Laguna Seca (err, Mazdaspeed Raceway or whatever the hell it changed to ) in December. That's the one my brother and I wanted to attend, but he can't get time off from work.

Quick Reply: Heel toe driving?