Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Heater controls not opening heater core flap

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater controls not opening heater core flap

I can manually open the little flap on the heater core so I can get some heat in but when I switch the controls to cold then back again it trys but won't open it again. What could be causing it not to open with the switch. The wire is still connected because it shuts the core when I switch it to cold.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Heater controls not opening heater core flap (goodfella732)

bump
Old 05-27-2004, 05:39 AM

have you messed with your radio or anything in your dash recently... the heater core wire goes through all of the stuff behind your radio and then connects down on the left side of the passenger side dash..(below your glove box on the left) try to check and see if that wire is catching on anything or is being restricted in any way

pic courtesy of BauleyCivic
Old 05-27-2004, 06:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Heater controls not opening heater core flap (punku10)

rip out the entire heater element, save yourself some weight
Old 05-27-2004, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heater controls not opening heater core flap (DewMota)

Have you checked the valve in the engine bay? It lets the coolant run into the system when its open. Its just a small wire, below the intake manifold, that is connected to a black plastic box with hose attachments at each end.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Heater controls not opening heater core flap (DewMota)

A/C is already removed. I can live without A/C but in NJ you can't live without heat. I can manually open the flap and get heat into the car. There are no leaks and the core is working. I'll have to check the wire to see if anything is tangled on it. But would it still work for the cold side if it was caught on something?
Old 05-27-2004, 08:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goodfella732 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A/C is already removed. I can live without A/C but in NJ you can't live without heat. I can manually open the flap and get heat into the car. There are no leaks and the core is working. I'll have to check the wire to see if anything is tangled on it. But would it still work for the cold side if it was caught on something?</TD></TR></TABLE>

its possible it might just be caught and something is blocking it from pushing forward(for heat) but not blocking it from pulling back(cool) its worth checking out it could be an easy fix if thats it

good luck
Old 05-27-2004, 08:55 AM

mine does the same its a 93 ex coupe, what happened is that theres like a bracket which holds the sleeve of the wire and it broke so when you move the control thingie it doesnt hold the sleeve still and the whole wire moves, i just accepted it and use the the manual method.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:02 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by punku10 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

its possible it might just be caught and something is blocking it from pushing forward(for heat) but not blocking it from pulling back(cool) its worth checking out it could be an easy fix if thats it

good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks man. Ive been stumped on what was going on. Im going to pull the dash apart today and see whats going on. I took off the small part with the ashtray just to get the flap open so I could get heat out if I need it. heres one on me.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Audio installers must of kicked mine I had to buy that whole motor assembly from a junkyard off a stripped si luckily.

Basically when I moved it from hot to cold or vice versa I would hear this annoying clicking noise and **** and it wouldnt move so I got under there took it all apart and saw that the motorized piece holding the cable would not move after moving like half an inch.

So then I took that part out and tore it apart and noticed the plastic gear inside (which you cant get at a hobby shop, tried that first ) which has a like power conductor ring on top of it to transfer power from the batt to the little motor. Anyways it was missing like 6 teeth which were broken off obviously from someone forcing it into a different position.

See if your thing makes a noice or some **** like one of those automated walking robots running into a wall and cant go nowhere. If so then you know what to do soldier.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heater controls not opening heater core flap (137)

After I redid my dash lighting my heater controls were a little off for a while...

I had to adjust the end of the cable so it was the right length. Before I did this, I couldn't slide the heater control past half way.

It's really hard to describe but it's really easy to fix. Just play around with where the cable hooks into the heater core..