Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

heat issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat issue

i changed the thermostat, got a new radiator about 5 months ago, and a new cap yesterday.

did the whole coolant flush and what not....when i go and turn on the heat, the heat feels like its luke warm and not hot to the point where i want to turn it off....

another thing, when i drive around town, the heat blows fine warmish, and when i drive on the highway, it turns cold.....don't know what going on either

the upper radiator hose is hot and the bottom is cold....sometimes when i let the motor run on 2,000 rpms in park, the heat gets a little hotter and the bottom hose gets warmer? when i start to drive the car, i can feel the heat drop again and gets a little colder...when i squeze the bottome hose, i can feel the coolant inside and the overflow tank sucking, but don't really know what is going on...

i notice a little leak of antifreeze on the bottom of the radiator, there is some leaking but not sure where, i see antifreeze on the splash shield....w

Modified by ge_ej1 at 8:49 AM 12/16/2007
Old 12-10-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: heat issue (ge_ej1)

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....thanks
Old 12-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ge_ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

when was the last time the water pump was changed? sometimes, and i do mean sometimes the bearings on the pump seize up. usually though when this happens the pump blows leaking through a small port sized valve.

also, since you replaced all those parts, have you checked to see if the fans on the raditor are coming on? how the switch and the relay?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: heat issue (philosofy1)

i just changed the water pump yesterday and its was a brand new one from autozone....just changed the radiator on bout 5 months ago and that's about it....

will the radiator fan really effect the heat issue? where is the relay and all that stuff, sorry but i don't really have knowledge of the cooling systems....? how would i check the fan and all that stuff

the thing that i don't understand is the bottom hose being cold sometimes, on and off when i changed the thermostat?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ge_ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just changed the water pump yesterday and its was a brand new one from autozone....just changed the radiator on bout 5 months ago and that's about it....

will the radiator fan really effect the heat issue? where is the relay and all that stuff, sorry but i don't really have knowledge of the cooling systems....? how would i check the fan and all that stuff</TD></TR></TABLE>

the fan wouldn't have anything to to with the heating, but more of the cooling of the motor. doesn't to try though.

you want to make up some wire jumper with some common wire and connectors.
make sure they are long enough because you will need to reach the battery.
on the fan the blue wire is + and the black is -. if the fan kicks on the your good.

when you say you replaced the thermo, are you sure you installed it the right way?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: heat issue (philosofy1)

i replaced it yesterday....i did install it in the right way....the longer way inward towards the right side of the hose and the shorter way facing outward away from the engine....

could i have bought a faulty thermostat or one that does not withstand a good amount of heat...? i bought a cheapo one from autozone for 7 bucks and i think it has a heat range of 170 degrees?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ge_ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i changed the thermostat, got a new radiator about 5 months ago, and a new cap yesterday.

did the whole coolant flush and what not....when i go and turn on the heat, the heat feels like its luke warm and not hot to the point where i want to turn it off....

the upper radiator hose is hot and the bottom is cold....sometimes when i let the motor run on 2,000 rpms in park, the heat gets a little hotter and the bottom hose gets warmer? when i start to drive the car, i can feel the heat drop again and gets a little colder...when i squeze the bottome hose, i can feel the coolant inside and the overflow tank sucking, but don't really know what is going on...

i notice a little leak of antifreeze on the bottom of the radiator, there is some leaking but not sure where, i see antifreeze on the splash shield....w</TD></TR></TABLE>

2 things......
first...do you have luke warm heat when the car is warm....
second......is the car overheating???
if u have heat and the car is not overheating then IMO....you might have air on the system....also look where u live....consider the outside temp this time of year.....my ls/v does the same thing here on the east coast....and I have a fluidyne radiator.....
Old 12-10-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: heat issue (groundzerocivic)

i do have heat...but its not hot to where to point where i want to turn it off, that was how it was before....

the problem was that my water pump went out on me...the gear that runs the water pump came off and ripped a hole through my cover.....i took everthing out and put a new water pump in....changed to thermostat and the radiator cap, did the whole flush and still the heat is only like luke warm.....

the outside temp here is cold as heck but still before my water pump went out, the heat was really hot...?

my car does not overheat and i don't have luke warm heat when my car idles only when i hold the car to 2,000 rpms for like 5 min......then the bottom hose gets hot and if i let off and let run on regular idle for like 5 min, the bottom hose gets cold again same if i drive the car around the block the bottom hose gets cold as well...
Old 12-10-2007, 05:28 PM

there is a bleeder valve next to the thermo housing.....start the car, let it warm to op temp then crack the valve open......pay close attention and watch for a steady stream of coolant. once u get a solid stream, close the valve.....that should help get rid of any air in the cooling system....
Old 12-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by groundzerocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">....you might have air on the system....</TD></TR></TABLE>

That could be very true. Also, what does your temp gauge read? Here's a little trick. On the heater control unit, slide the "hot/cold" lever back and forth a few times when the car is at operating temperature. see if that works.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:31 PM

i will try that tomorrow, but will that solve the problem of the car not getting enough heat from the vents and the cold temp in the lower radiator hose?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:33 PM

not enuff heat out the vents is a sign of possiblly air in the system....as 4 the lower rad hose...like i stated b4....my ls/v does the same thing and i have had no probs...
Old 12-10-2007, 05:36 PM

alright thanks guys, i will try that tomorrow morning and see what happens....i'll keep this updated....

again, any other tips or suggestions would be great
Old 12-10-2007, 05:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ge_ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright thanks guys, i will try that tomorrow morning and see what happens....i'll keep this updated....

again, any other tips or suggestions would be great</TD></TR></TABLE>

no prob man....we r here to help if we can......
Old 12-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

either you have a bad heater core or your valve isn't opening up completely letting the full flow of hot coolant into the heater core. Your whole lower radiator hose being cold means that the radiator does its job. The reason that it gets warm when you hold it at 2000 is that spining more rpms creates more heat, and when you drive around it moves air through the radiator or when you let it idle, either you fan kicks on or the fact that it generates less heat on idle and the radiator will cool off the coolant.
later
Old 12-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bad heater core is a possibilty, I read this and didnt think about it.

I know our work truck had a bad heater core, Truck ran fine, No overheating, nothing. just didnt put out heat. Although it did put out a horrible smell and some smoke out of the vents.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: (ifIexplode)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ifIexplode &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> horrible smell and some smoke out of the vents.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

eeewwwwwww........
Old 12-16-2007, 07:48 AM

Default Re: (groundzerocivic)

so i thought the cold bottom radiator hose was a bad thermostat, so i bought a new one and replaced it....did the burping and what not....ran the car and it ran fine....it blows a little warmer air than before.....but the bottom radiator hose is still cold....don't know what is going on....

do you think it might be a bad water pump....i know i just replaced it like two weeks ago....i know when i took out the old water pump, the spring was lodged in one of the passage ways of the coolant chambers.....i cleaned everything out and put everything back together....when i changed the coolant, i saw some metal shavings on the bottom of the catchpan....

don't know what else to do...