Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Headlights won't come on/corners and tail lights won't come off!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights won't come on/corners and tail lights won't come off!!

Hey guys I got into my 2000 em1 this morning and turned my headlights on. I noticed the headlights and all exterior lights came on but my gauge cluster didn't light up so I shut the lights off and on a few times and everything came on fine (I assumed it was cold weather related since I've only owned the car a few weeks and the temp is dropping fast in the mornings here in jersey).

Anyway when pulled up at work an hour later I opened the door and the buzzer went off (that indicates your headlights are on). I reached in to shut them off and realized the switch was in the "off" position. So I walked around the car and noticed both front corner lights were on and so were my tail lights. My headlights will NOT come on and my corners, tails and gauge cluster lights won't turn off.

I noticed that the blue bulbs behind my white face gauges has only come on once. once the car has warmed up they stop working and I'm left with a single stock bulb lighting the gauges. I'm not sure if I'm wording all of these things right or if I'm being clear on what my problem is but any help would be appreciated. I didn't have much time to mess with it since i had to be in to work but I went into the fuse box under the hood and pulled the headlight fuse and it shut everything off. When I re inserted the fuse the problem was still there. This sounds chaotic. Does this sound like a relay problem? Stock switch problem? Thanks so much.

By the way the dash lights, dome light, head unit all seem to be working just fine. I didn't however check my fogs but I'm assuming since my headlights didn't switch on then neither did those. Also the car has aftermarket halogens in the corners and an hid kit (non retrofitted) if that helps at all.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Headlights won't come on/corners and tail lights won't come off!!

Test the light switch on the steering column.