Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Headgasket instructions....?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headgasket instructions....?

Alright well im going to attempt to do the headgasket on the sol but I was jw if anyone could give me detailed instructions on how to do it ... or let me know where i can find some! If so it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a d15b motor and tranny.....anyone?
Old 01-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you check the faq?

and you have an internet connection....so why don't you have a helms?

make sure you have a metal head gasket, organic head gaskets suck *****.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Headgasket instructions....? (dsturch1)

Its not that hard it just takes time, depending on how experienced you are. Since you're not so experienced I recommend taking your car to a local auto repair shop. Doin it yourself may cause more damage
Old 01-13-2008, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Headgasket instructions....? (dsturch1)

It's pretty simple actually.

TDC (Top dead center) the engine. (very important!)
To do this spin the motor by hand (19mm socket and a rachet) Till you see 1 white dot and 3 red dots start coming to the top of the crank pulley. On the lower timing belt cover you will see a thin piece of plastic attached to the side of the cover. look down this line till it lines up with the white dot on the crank pulley.
when the white dot lines up with the cover look at the cam gears. There is an arrow on the cam gears marked "UP" These should be facing up with a slight slant and there is a little line marked in the cam gears them selves. When the arrows are facing up these line on the gears should line up together and the line on the lower timing belt cover should line up with the dot on the crank pulley.
This = TDC

It is very important that you line these three thing up when re installing the cams or your motor will be toast.

First Make sure you can get the crank pulley off, For this your going to need one of these:
Honda crank pulley tool and a 19mm with a braker bar
1/2 Impact with a 19mm socket
A friend to hold the brake and a ratchet with a 4ft braker bar + gods good will behind you

next:
drain all the fluids.. Oil/coolant. After that look at the front of your block on the left side of the manifold. There should be something that looks like a plug in the block with a 17mm nut attached to it. This is to drain the coolant out of the block. Lossen this plug and pull it out. You should get a good ammount of coolant out of this.

After you drain all the fluids out of it then you can go ahead and disconnect all the of the sensor plugs on the harness and the coolant hoses running to the motor.
Don't worry about wear the connectors go as they are 1 to 1. Meaning they only go to one place and one place only. Except for the map (top of TB) and TPS (side of TB) mark these two and you be fine.

After you disconect all the connector and hoses you will need to disconect the Exhaust manifold from the head. After you take out all the 12mm nuts holding it on you should be able to just leave it off the studs out of the way.

next remove the 8 10mm nuts holding the valve cover on. next you should see cam caps hold the cams in place. these are held on by 12mm and should be reinstalled in the order they came off. There are also 10mm at the ends of the cam shaft.

After the cams are out of the way you should see the 14 mm head bolts, There are 8 of them. After these are removed the head might need a little wiggling but should come right off. After you remove the head make sure you set it on a clean surface to avoid picking a debrie.

then just do this in reverse to re install. I am not sure on the torque specs for oem head bolts sorry, But if you search on here you will find them

Also you do not NEED to remove the spark plugs but you can. When you take the dizz of leave the wires on the dizzy to make sure you get the Firing order right the first time

If I have forgot or left any thing out please let me know So i can add it to the list.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Headgasket instructions....? (wicked_b16eg)

Sorry,

After I posted i fullly read your post to see you have Sohc. its basically the same except you do not need to take the cam out. the head bolts will be in the front and back of the cam. (lucky you)

and there will be a timing mark on the valve cover, But the crank pulley SHOULD be the same.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I already searched the archives and couldn't find anything....but thank you very much wicked_b16...
Old 01-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your best bet would be to get a helms manual... these could also be helpful.

http://hondaswap.com/general-t...71528/
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2073073&page=1
http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-tr...nge-46937.html
Old 01-15-2008, 09:37 PM

Default Re: (dsturch1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dsturch1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I already searched the archives and couldn't find anything....but thank you very much wicked_b16...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Any time man.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a head gasket, waterpump, and timing belt change after I swapped a motor...I know, duh.

It's honestly not hard to do, just time consuming. Make sure you have a helms manual and read it twice before attempting. Treat it like a bible.