Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Headers on a 96 Honda Civic LX automatic? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/headers-96-honda-civic-lx-automatic-911429/)

j0ltz 06-30-2004 06:54 AM

Headers on a 96 Honda Civic LX automatic?

Can you install headers on a d16y7 automatic tranny civic, if yes could someone tell me what kind headers will fit my 96 Honda Civic LX.

smithenhiven 06-30-2004 07:17 AM

Re: Headers on a 96 Honda Civic LX automatic? (j0ltz)

yes you can.

I'm pretty sure any Header made for a D series motor will work. But since your civic most likely has the D16Y7, with the stock catalytic converter built into the exhaust manifold, you'll have to cut a piece out of your exhaust after the header to fit in a cat.
Somebody correct me if that's wrong.

hondaciv3 06-30-2004 07:32 AM

Re: Headers on a 96 Honda Civic LX automatic? (smithenhiven)

i would look around for one, there are a few companies that make one for that car, and the difference between the header for your car and another d-series is that your header has 2 O2 sensors in it. I know for a fact that Ractive makes one for about $180 that will bolt right in, but it does remove your cat, so if you live in cali you will have to get a new cat

dantastic 06-30-2004 08:31 AM

btw, if you're looking for any real performance gains, you wont find one in a header. the only place you'll feel the 3-5hp gain is in ur wallet

Todd00 06-30-2004 10:07 AM

Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">btw, if you're looking for any real performance gains, you wont find one in a header. the only place you'll feel the 3-5hp gain is in ur wallet</TD></TR></TABLE>

Headers do great things to D-series motors, but on an automatic...well...

menkio 06-30-2004 11:18 AM

Re: (Todd00)

actualy, he will notice a hudge(5-8hp) gain on his lx. The lx/dx header has the built in cat, also the dx/lx header is so tiny. I would also make sure to get a header with a seconday o2 sensor cuase you WILL need it. Simple extend your lower o2 sensor. STAY AWAY from 2 part ebay headers... they always leak, the manifold bolts are weak, and the flanges won't keep consistant. 4-1's you won't have this problem.

If you need any help installing it, make anther thread/msg me and i can walk you threw it. Should only take an hour or so if you've never done it before.

ps. I also forgot to mention a catback exhaust is pretty critcal. Not just a muffle. Your expanding and speeding the airflow from the exhaust ports, which need to flow without restriction to a certain degree. A 60mm catback would be great. You can get one off ebay for around 250-270 shipped. Also a very easy install as long as you take your time.