Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The header installation from hell!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The header installation from hell!!!

Arright, first off, I got an RS*R header and took it to get installed. During this installation, I learned that:
1. Meineke did a fucked up job on my custom catback. They left welding rods still connected to the piping, and they made my exhaust too short so when we forced the header to join the exhaust, it pulled on the header and there was hella exhaust leaking where the header joined the engine block.

2. This other shop that I went to a while ago in MD fucked up my stock header and o2 sensor. They couldn't get a screw in the stock header where it goes from 4-2 on so they half welded that **** together. Plus they didn't screw the o2 sensor in straight and instead of screwing it in right, they forced the **** in there and stripped the o2 sensor threads so now I have to get a new o2 sensor.

3. My cv joint, I thinks thats what its called, is cracked. Its the joint on the front right wheel and there's this green glob stuff comming out of it. Thats the answer to that post I posted a while ago about the popping sound when I turn. So now I have to replace that **** too.

As far as progress, I got an exta segment welded onto the exhaust pipe to make it longer so now the stress is off the header. The o2 sensor is hand tightened into the new header cause I didn't want to strip the threads in the new header forcing the messed up o2 sensor in it. Plus I still have a small leak in the header join with the engine so I'm guessing the header gasket is bad so i'm going to buy a exhaust gasket and a new o2 sensor and that should fix everything. And as far as that cv joint or whatever its called, I have no idea. If anyone can help about what replacement part I need, how much the replacement part will cost, and how hard is it to do yourself, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, what a good gasket.

By the way, I had my header installed by Zen Motorsports and they helped me discover all these things I have found out were wrong with the car. They helped alot. I highly reccomend them. I think thats everything.

Also, I forgot to add that I have a del sol at my dispossal for stripping and parts. I know I can take the o2 sensor from there, but can I take that cv joint too? It has the same engine as my civic, d16z6.

[Modified by kay_animation, 2:35 AM 2/2/2003]
Old 02-01-2003, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The header installation from hell!!! (kay_animation)

Any help?
Old 02-01-2003, 06:52 PM
H-T Poker champion

Uhhh.. You can swap axles with the del sol if it is the same tranny as your current civic tranny.. but if you had to have a shop put on your header you will not be able to change an axle..
Old 02-01-2003, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK

I am almost 95% sure you can use the cv axles out of the del sol. I just wasn't sure you could use the o2 sensor. The cv axles should be exactly the same.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The header installation from hell!!! (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

Uhhh.. You can swap axles with the del sol if it is the same tranny as your current civic tranny.. but if you had to have a shop put on your header you will not be able to change an axle..
You have to remember this was a somewhat custom job. Header seems straight forward, but not everyone has the time to do so. I would think he is going to have a huge problem getting those nuts off the hub though, which is why I don't even bother attempting to change my axles. Give me the right tools and I am all for it though, as most other would be too I am sure.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The header installation from hell!!! (SHAUNTS99)

well i dunno if Maryland has Advance Auto Parts but they have lifetime warrenty axels for $70 bucks.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The header installation from hell!!! (ace1875)

well i dunno if Maryland has Advance Auto Parts but they have lifetime warrenty axels for $70 bucks.
True, but it still comes back to the possibility of tools or availability. Just a few weeks ago I went in AutoZone to pick up some wiper blades. As I pulled in around 6 PM I remember standing behind another customer commenting about the guy outside who was replacing the axles on a 90-93 Integra. The AutoZone clerk stated the individual had been out there for hours attempting to remove the axles. I couldn't help, but feel sorry for the guy as I watched him in many attempts to pry off one of those I'm-going-to-burst-a-vein-in-my-brain-bolts.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In defense of my auto skills, it was a 1 piece header and I'm not one of those guys that has a lift in his college dorm room. But if there is something that I can do with basic tools or tools that I can rent, I can pretty much do it.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In defense of my auto skills, it was a 1 piece header and I'm not one of those guys that has a lift in his college dorm room. But if there is something that I can do with basic tools or tools that I can rent, I can pretty much do it.
Well after you find a 32 mm socket find u the longest pipe you can find....lol (But True)

and get to work
Old 02-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jea thanks. Also, will the LEFT CV AXLE OFF OF A 1996 HONDA CIVIC DX fit my RIGHT cv axle on my 1994 civic ex coupe which is out? Also, will it be as good as the stock one?
Old 02-01-2003, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well basicly, will any of these work:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2401642589

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2401461469

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2401365882
Old 02-01-2003, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not sure about ur model of civic but i think (about 89% sure) they are not the same... go to ur regular store (Autozone pepboys, etc)and ask them if the part number is same if it is then there you go.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

arright, good suggestion
Old 02-01-2003, 10:45 PM

even if they are the right part number i dont know if i would trust buying a used axel off of ebay. how do you know that the cv joint that they aer selling isnt bad? you wont til you actually pay to have someone put it on. i'd go to your parts store and try to get a refurbished one. hth.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:32 AM

Default Re: The header installation from hell!!! (T04-Terror)

Dude, you shoulda made them pay for all the dmg they did to your car. seriously.