Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

header help on a D16y6

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header help on a D16y6

well my friend has a 97 civic and needs a header. The stock manifold cracked and she wants to upgrade. Im a B-series guy and havent worked on a d series. The cat is part of the manifold so if she gets a header like a megan racing(shes on a budget) will she need to get a custom exhaust with a cat? what about the o2's since its OBD2? installation isnt a problem she just wants to order all the stuff so we can get it done in one day. She would like to stay emissions legal
Old 09-08-2006, 07:02 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: header help on a D16y6 (DarkDragon)

Oem
Old 09-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: header help on a D16y6 (ek forever guy)

If you do go aftermarket, try not to lose too much horsepower
Old 09-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: header help on a D16y6 (DarkDragon)

^^ Well that guy was helpful, huh?

I think he was trying to warn you that installing an aftermarket exhaust header without any other mods could reduce backpressure enough to reduce your horsepower, therefore it might be a better idea to stick with an OEM repalcement.

Now to answer your question...

Unless you plan on doing the install yourself, order the header and your favorite cat. Take both to a muffler shop and have them customize your existing exhaust so that the cat is now underneath the vehicle immediately following the header. They should have all the necessasry adapterd, parts, and welding gear to fab this in.

Also you'll have to relocate the secondary O2 sensor to the rear of the cat. If you just ignore this step the ECU will throw a CEL. So either buy a new one (if your existing one has got more than 100k on it) or remove the one that's below the cat on the existing setup. Then you'll have to cut and extend the related wires so that it now reaches the sensor underneath the car.

The secondary O2 sensor does not provide input to the ECU to control fuel/air/timing, it merely is intended to detect that you have a cat! So it is possible to fake it out but I can't remember the details off hand so just google it. A more involved option is to convert to OBD-1 which does not use a secondary O2 sensor.

Keep in mind that relocating a cat may be illegal in your state.

Good Luck.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:01 PM

Default Re: header help on a D16y6 (sql_civic)

yes i understand that it could decrease performance right now, I know engine dynamics but she wanted to moddify her car and she needs a header so I thought it was a good place to start. I figured it would take a custom exhaust since the cat was integrated into the manifold. I have no problem extending the wires for the O2, I did this on my buddies camaro as well as on mine when we put long tubes on. Thanks for the help
Old 09-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think this translates to: I have an engine that's weaker than Syndacate's and I wanna make it go faster, will ebay do the trick?

I like the way you cover yourself with "it's your friend" and "I don't know much about D series cars" like they're a totally different engine or something, it's not internal combustion, it's external, right? ****** B series!!

*sigh*

Buy a stock manifold, clean it, slap it on, tell your friends...I mean tell her it's a header.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:07 AM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

you can think what you want man. Im just trying to get some information about a d series manifold since hers is cracked in half. The cat is intergrated into the stock manifold and she wants to moddify her car, I told her since its cast into the manifold custom exhaust is more than likely gonna be needed. I also told her if she stays OEM it will cost less and will completly bolt on.

On a side note theres no reason to get upset with me, I asked a simple question just to verify my suggestions to her. I work on alot of different engines but never had to replace/install a header on a d series and wanted suggestions since she is set on going aftermarket.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DarkDragon)

look in the marketplace i bet u can find a good used aftermarket header for a d series motor
Old 09-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a d16y7, and most aftermarket headers for the D's aren't anything special, except for SMSP's headers, but your friend probably isn't wanting to spend that much.

if you buy one for a y8 it will bolt in the same place as the stock manifold bolts, which will eliminate the cat.

I think NC has emissions laws, don't they?
Old 09-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thehatchninja)

I have a 97 y7 that when my exhaust manifold cracked I replaced it with a header and a tsudo "inexpensive" cat back exhaust from ebay. Its been three years and so for no problem. If I were to do it again I would have spent the little extra money and got a greddy evo2 or sp2, hopefully thats correct going off the top of my head.

I have a "hi flow" cat on there right now which is pretty much a test pipe so my exhaust sound is raspy. I plan on getting a 99-00 si cat which I have been told will take care of the raspy noise.

So if you are to put a header on you will need to either fabricate the cat on or purcahse a cat back exhaust system and a cat.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DarkDragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can think what you want man. Im just trying to get some information about a d series manifold since hers is cracked in half. The cat is intergrated into the stock manifold and she wants to modify her car, I told her since its cast into the manifold custom exhaust is more than likely gonna be needed. I also told her if she stays OEM it will cost less and will completly bolt on.

On a side note there's no reason to get upset with me, I asked a simple question just to verify my suggestions to her. I work on alot of different engines but never had to replace/install a header on a d series and wanted suggestions since she is set on going aftermarket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's plenty to get annoyed at you over. You did ask a simple question, a simple question that's been covered 40,000 times in the past - SEARCH next time.

Now, a D header, is the same **** as a B header, just bolts right up (of course a B header won't fit a D engine...but u get what I'm saying). You buy a D mani/header, it'll bolt right on, it'll be shorter though, so you take it to an exhaust shop and have them put the cat inbetwen the header and the piping.

Simple as that.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:07 PM

if haven't worked on d's before, you haven't been around honda's much, huh?

either stay oem, or do like somebody allready mentioned and buy a header and a cat and take it to a muffler shop
Old 09-09-2006, 06:17 PM

Default Re: (JICEK9)

my honda i had was a b series and my friends that had hondas either had B or f series motors. A header is a header, i was asking what others did when they did a header swap. I know bolt patterns are diff, collector and primary lengths are differnt. All i needed was to see what others did with there exhaust. Dont you have something else to do then to hide behind a keyboard and have no positive influence on a thread? Maybe not but thats not what this thread is about. Anyway thanks to everyone that helped
Old 09-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: chillin in that city called queen creek, but homes the atl

this is a dumb question, if u know about a b-series whats the difference for a d-series

but if it was my car i would just put a dc header on and a obd2 carsound cat and get a custom catback exhaust made that way it still can use the 2 o2 sensors. or go cheap and put another stock manny on
Old 09-09-2006, 09:56 PM

Default Re: (street dreams)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by street dreams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is a dumb question, if u know about a b-series whats the difference for a d-series

but if it was my car i would just put a dc header on and a obd2 carsound cat and get a custom catback exhaust made that way it still can use the 2 o2 sensors. or go cheap and put another stock manny on</TD></TR></TABLE>

because the d series cat is intergrated into the manifold, I wanted to make sure that if she got a aftermarket header that she would need custom exhaust work to fit a cat, simple as that, this thread is now dead as it has served its purpose
Old 09-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DarkDragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my honda i had was a b series and my friends that had hondas either had B or f series motors. A header is a header, i was asking what others did when they did a header swap. I know bolt patterns are diff, collector and primary lengths are differnt. All i needed was to see what others did with there exhaust. Dont you have something else to do then to hide behind a keyboard and have no positive influence on a thread? Maybe not but thats not what this thread is about. Anyway thanks to everyone that helped</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would have left you alone but now you had to add those last 3 sentences and make things worse for everybody.

No, obviously I don't have anything better to do than to "hide behind my keyboard and have no positive influence on a thread." Or I wouldn't be posting here, would I? Though this doesn't resemble a thread, it resembles ****. If you had any common sense you'd click the big red SEARCH button in the top right corner of the screen, I'm sure you could have found plenty of **** to put on your car.

And stop lying, that wasn't your original intention (to ask what other people had on their car). You wanted to know about 02 positioning and ****, so stop changing your primary motive.

You're all like "all my friends have B's, and I can't figure out what that means to a D series...what do I do? I can't read the 100001 subjects in the search menu......help me out!"

Two words sum you up quite well.

******* moron.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:55 AM

Dude this isnt for my own car I dont own a honda anymore. I guess reading comprehension &gt; you, like I stated before this is for a friend. I own a camaro, I havent talked to people about D series before, when I saw the cat was intergrated into the manifold I wanted to see what everyones elses setup was. How can you call me a moron, I bet I understand engine dynamics to a fuller extent then you ever will. The point of this post was to see if custom exhaust would be the answer as she is on a tight budget so OEM is going to be her least expensive option. Tell me this if I "wanted to know about o2 positioning and ****" as you ststed why isnt that in my original post. Its a OBD2 car thats why and I understood that the secondary o2 would need to be repositions down stream behind what ever cat that was installed or cheated so it would still hooked up( even though the 2nd option is more popular on domestics) If there was a way to cheat it we could have installed the header cheated the secondary o2 so the ecu reads a cat is functioning (since thats all it does is sample the exhaust after the cat to monitor catalyst functions) and ran open header to a muffler shop to get the exhaust hooked up. I could have and should have searched, I scaned the d 92-00 civic 1st and 2nd pages with no thread resembling what I needed to know, nor was it in a sticky.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:59 AM

for the question in your signature, sound like you may be pulling air into the tank making it hard to prime, since the injectors, pump and filter have been changed its either a vacume issue within the system (such as leak or a loose gas cap) or the injector clips/ harness/ or ecu could be sending false signals to the injectors
Old 09-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Go ask the guys on the camaro forums if they know anything about d series headers. Because obviously you're not getting the right answer here.

Ignorance, Arrogance, and Cheverolets
Old 09-10-2006, 04:55 PM

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

dude wtf, I did get the answer I needed, this guy just keeps swinging from my nuts. He keeps refering to my car as i have a honda, I dont anymore, I said i have a camaro but he doesnt seem to understand that. I stated I was familiar with B series motors not d series and that is the reasoning for the question, thats all.