Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Head work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head work?

Im a Vw guy so this would be my first time doing work to a honda. A buddy of mine wants his block bored out, thats not a problem. Question is, after i get the bore larger, does any work need to be done to the head?
99 civic ex

Thanks for any help, appreciate it.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Head work?

Doesn't NEED to. But do it anyways Get it port and polished.
He's going to get larger pistons, correct?
Old 03-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Trial User

Yeah bigger pistons. Not sure how big he wants to go, right now its just a repair. Not necessarily for performance. Supposedly one of the pistons has enough room to bounce around on the cylinder wall.

I wont know the full extent of the damage until he drops the car off next weekend, but im used to dealing with the vr6 engine. Bottom of the head is flat so nothing needed to bore it out.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I were him I'd have it p&p. What motor is it? What are the plans for it?
Old 03-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Trial User

Well today i also found out he used the same head bolts after he rebuilt it. You guys have stretch bolts right? non reusable?

Its an EX, not sure what engine. Took the vin to the stealership and they said that the vin was wrong (without even typing it into the computer). I havent gotten a chance to look on the block, but its a 1.6 for sure.

Plans are just to bore it out, get bigger pistons. Its more of a fix than a repair. Cheaper than finding a new block, and more power, why not?
Old 03-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's highly suggested to not resuse the head bolts. But people do it, and create problems later.

Well I'm gonna guess D16Y8 (SOHC VTEC). Is it SOHC or DOHC?

If it's a SOHC, I wouldn't be expecting too much extra power. And these Honda engines are easy to come by and pretty cheap.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Kohen
And these Honda engines are easy to come by and pretty cheap.
We couldnt find one at all locally here for the past week.

Its SOHC, and not really looking for power. Its only $50 to bore it and $170 for the pistons at the machine shop we go to.

and no vtec, so b16y7?
Old 03-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Really? Hmm..

Well anyways, I guess that's not TERRIBLE.. $170 for what kind of pistons? I hope that includes rings and everything.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PMLyf
We couldnt find one at all locally here for the past week.

Its SOHC, and not really looking for power. Its only $50 to bore it and $170 for the pistons at the machine shop we go to.

and no vtec, so b16y7?
d16y7*
B series is DOHC. D series is SOHC (there's a D series DOHC but I won't get into that)
Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Just Do your friend a favor and Hook him up with a great rebuild with the (pistion excahange) and ARP head bolts + cosmetic head gasket, REASEMBLE like stock!

Bam Runner whoooooooweeeeeeeee........

And if that is just what kinda work your use too , i would even suggest a block gaurd one without welding needed.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobbyRodriguez
Just Do your friend a favor and Hook him up with a great rebuild with the (pistion excahange) and ARP head bolts + cosmetic head gasket, REASEMBLE like stock!

And if that is just what kinda work your use too , i would even suggest a block gaurd one without welding needed.
I have to disagree... OEM head gaskets are just fine! Block guards are a waste of money and creates a hot spot in the cylinders and also blocks flow of coolant to the head. I ran 440whp on stock sleeves and no blockguard no problems ever... ARP would be over kill for this rebuild OEM will do just fine.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Overkill is good some time's..
Old 03-19-2012, 06:46 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wtf is your reasoning for a block guard on an otherwise stock rebuild?
Old 03-19-2012, 06:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

IDK BRO, Nice to have , and he did say an over bore. SO.. Added Strength that's why people use them and if you buy/ purches the correct one heating shouldnt be a big deal, espically with no boost options.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Trial User

d16y7*
B series is DOHC. D series is SOHC (there's a D series DOHC but I won't get into that)
As you can see, im not familiar with hondas haha. Thanks though, i wont forget that info.

Originally Posted by BobbyRodriguez

Yeah im familiar with ARP bolts. Used them in mine. Im not sure if thats in his price range though. Ill talk it over with him.

You really think a block guard would be necessary? He wont be racing it or anything like that. He drives like a granny.

I still nead to find tq specs for the head bolts as well. before i start putting things together at least.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Trial User

Really? Hmm..

Well anyways, I guess that's not TERRIBLE.. $170 for what kind of pistons? I hope that includes rings and everything.
Im sure they arent forged or anything special haha. Does include rings and some other things. Going to ask them to drop the crank and pistons back in, if not i can do it myself. But they are pretty cool people.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A block guard is absolutely NOT necessary, and would probably do more harm than good. I'm assuming your friend is going with a .5mm or a 1mm overbore?

OEM gaskets and studs will be just fine. The ARP bolt set for the Y7 is about $50-$70 more expensive, but unneeded in your friend's case.

All torque specs can be found in the service manual for your friend's car. If your friend doesn't own one, tell him to get one. They're extremely easy to come by.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As you can see, im not familiar with hondas haha. Thanks though, i wont forget that info.
Not a problem!

Im sure they arent forged or anything special haha. Does include rings and some other things. Going to ask them to drop the crank and pistons back in, if not i can do it myself. But they are pretty cool people.
$170 seems almost kinda high to me.. You can get 75.5mm or 76mm vitara pistons for like ~$130. People usually use them for high boost applications because they provide a low compression rate. Just do some research before you get the pistons. Unless you're just going OEM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YCP-75-5mm-T...ht_2754wt_1012
Old 03-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Trial User

Not a problem!

$170 seems almost kinda high to me.. You can get 75.5mm or 76mm vitara pistons for like ~$130. People usually use them for high boost applications because they provide a low compression rate. Just do some research before you get the pistons. Unless you're just going OEM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YCP-75-5mm-T...ht_2754wt_1012
Ill have to check that out, i wouldnt mind saving him some money. Those (ebay pistons) would actually be perfect. It all depends on how much damage is done to the walls. Thanks for the link/info!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't buy low compression pistons for this repair, your friend will want to murder you.

On the plus side, you'll probably be able to out run his car.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Don't buy low compression pistons for this repair, your friend will want to murder you.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting low compression pistons. I was just suggesting that he take a look at what's out there.

OP, if anything get him some high compression pistons for a little more power. Or just some OEM pistons. Depends on the price he wants to pay.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by jbpnoman

Already can outrun is car, but its not about making it faster. Im going to do best cost first, not worried about performance.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting low compression pistons. I was just suggesting that he take a look at what's out there.

OP, if anything get him some high compression pistons for a little more power. Or just some OEM pistons. Depends on the price he wants to pay.
Will do.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Already can outrun is car, but its not about making it faster. Im going to do best cost first, not worried about performance.

Will do.
Well along with best cost, make sure you're getting reliability!