Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

head/intake manifold on D15B7 few issues left: timing and belt, distributor, head gasket, OBD issue,

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y8 head/intake manifold on D15B7 few issues left: timing and belt, distributor, head gasket, OBD iss

Well, I posted this in the TECH forum, but haven't gotten a response... thought I would try it here too!

I just read a post on the D16Y8 head/intake manifold on the B7, but I have a few more technical problems that I would like your help on!

Which distributor should i use? Are there any timing issues that I have to deal with or consider with the new head, cams, and distributor?
Which timing belt do I use for this mini-me setup?
(I think I found out that I should use the VX SOHC VTEC-E Timing belt)

I found this web-site that has a D-series compression ratio calculator, and it says my new CR will be ~ 10.2:1. How accurate is this figure? How will my stock rods cope with the higher compression? Should I use a higher grade fuel?
Also, in the future, I might consider going turbo... I would like to use a headgasket that is on the thicker side and that is of good quality. 1.) it will lower my CR as is, which should be 'on the safer side', and 2.) If i do go turbo, the lower CR will mean more boost.
I believe the D16Y8 was OBD-II, and my car is OBD-I. If I use the OBD-I VTEC ecu, should I be okay, or are there other issues to consider?
Speaking of ecu's, what is the better setup, p78 or whatever the number is (i think thats the EG SOHC VTEC ecu), or my current ecu + fields/AFC controller? I think I would have a little more tuneability in the long run with the seperate controller, but, I would have to tune it properly and probably have access to a dyno that can help me with my A/F ratios.
And, if I use the stock sohc vtec ecu, will my fuel curves and other components run properly with the different bottom end?

And finally, the head/intake manifold will be comming from a manual car. Mine is an auto. What about the IACV valve? On the man. its on the intake manifold, auto's have them on the TB. Should I just use my TB and leave the other one in the IM but do not hook it up?

Thanks, thats all I can think of now, if I have further questions, I'll be sure to ask!

Oh yea, here's a link to the site, I think I got it from another thread...
http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/D.htm

Heh, so far on my to-do list: ITR suspension, sway bars, front brake upgrade, mini-me, and in the future turbo... too many ideas, too little money!
Old 05-01-2003, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Y8 head/intake manifold on D15B7 few issues left: timing and belt, distributor, head gasket, OBD

Where's the D-series ?

anyone got any info to help a brotha' out?

guess I'll try the Hybrid forum...