Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

head gasket work and then some

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gasket work and then some

alryt.... i have a few ?s on a head gasket, an rear main seal... what all is needed to be taken off to get that replaced... the motor has over heated a few times
when that happened first the thremostat was stuck, and the heater core was clogged and the heater line had a cutt on to it under the dizzy.. when i replace the oil pan seal the rear main seal, the vtec solenoid has started leaking after that, i did a compression test the cylinders oon the trans side were running low

and what all will usually be needed after the take down and clean up, when throwin it back together.... i should be droppin the motor nxt week with some help.... thnx for any help...
Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its been overheated a few times, then get a new motor if your gasket is leaking, most likely it wont seal right the second time.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:49 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (Hanmin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hanmin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if its been overheated a few times, then get a new motor if your gasket is leaking, most likely it wont seal right the second time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, he's right about that, even if you get the head planed the engine is rarely ever the same again, heat just does some really nasty things to aluminum engines.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (94EG8)

thanx for the comments.... i kno i just need to get into the motor and take it apart and get things fully checked out... im kno the heat will warp the aluminum head, but what else would there be needed to checked out throughly.. i mean buying a new motor/head is my last option.. then again it would help a hella lot better. i would like to do a general overhaul on the engine
Old 09-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (EJ1_95Cwallace)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1_95Cwallace &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im kno the heat will warp the aluminum head, but what else would there be needed to checked out throughly.. i mean buying a new motor/head is my last option.. then again it would help a hella lot better. i would like to do a general overhaul on the engine</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you overheated the engine, especially multiple times it tends to to take the spring tension out of the rings so the engine burns oil shortly after replacing the headgasket, heat isn't good for bearings, even the deck of the aluminum block can warp. If its a SOHC for what it would cost to rebuild it properly it would probably cost less to buy a used JDM SOHC engine with about 50,000 miles on it. I'm the type of guy that would rather fix something than junk it, but SOHC d-series engines just aren't worth screwing with once you've overheated them like that IMO.