Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Head gasket isssue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket isssue?

Just wondering how your car runs with a bad head gasket? I have a 97 acura el(97 civic si) and have heat for a few days then air gets in somehow(can here bubbles moving through heater core).

I have replaced t-stat with oem
replaced water pump with oem
newer rad
new rad cap
flushed the complete system with CLR(heater core and rad).

I will have heat for a few days then the air bubbles start entering the system and the heat goes away, well not completely it takes probably a good 45 min of driving for the heat to start coming but it's very luke warm. I can bleed it out then after a few days the heat is gone.

I bought the car 4 months ago with spark plug boots melted to the plugs. It had overheated
due to the water pump leaking. I replaced that with oem along a new belt, plugs and wires. The car runs perfect and the temp gauge reading properly and rises with 10 min of driving and stays right where it should.

This has been on going and I have never had a problem like this ever on any honda that I've owned. Everyone at work says my head gasket is gone but I should be losing coolant/oil. Crazy air bubbles while bleeding from the rad and I have nothing like this happening. I can run the car for days and it will not overheat. Any input will help!
Old 01-27-2011, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Head gasket isssue?

Are you losing coolant?
Old 01-27-2011, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wired melted to the plugs. You're done man. You could pay $1000 to replace the headgasket and still have a warped head. You need a new engine or some mechanic with an do-gooder complex.

check for any sandy/silica like sludge in the oil/oil cap/oil pan. That would be coolant residue from vaporized coolant in the crankcase.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not losing and coolant and I had the valve cover off to change the water pump and t-belt and did not notice any sludge build up on the rockers. It also idles perfect and seems to have no problem with lose of power or sluggish like a bad head gasket.

I'm not saying it's not a warped head or anything like that it just not a fun job to change the headgasket just to rule it out when I have no signs of a bad head gasket. Even if the heater core is plugged, after bleeding the system of air, have heat for a few days then very luke warm heat? It just sucks cause this car is my winter car and I have shitty heat!!