Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Head Gasket Blown Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket Blown Questions

Hi everyone.

How difficult is it to replace a blown head gasket in a 1995 del Sol S 1.5L? Should I leave this up to my mechanic? I am asking because it would cost about $1000 to have my mechanic replace it. They also suggested I replace the engine with another used one or have a remanufactered engine installed instead...this would cost about $1500+. What would be my best option? I don't have a lot of money either....please let me know.

Thanks a million.

-Dave
Old 03-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Head Gasket Blown Questions (fadedindigo)

if your 100% sure its the headgasket, and you dont feel confident doing it yourself, have somone else do it...but not the mechanic who will charge a thousand bucks....no matter how big of a friend you think he is, he is NOT helping you out. Find someone locally to help you out and they will charge you nowhere near a grand.

just for reference you can get a d15b vtec off hmotors for like 400 bucks... nevermind the fact you can pick one up off these forums for less....
Old 03-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll do it for half that price. I'm in Annapolis.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fadedindigo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi everyone.

How difficult is it to replace a blown head gasket in a 1995 del Sol S 1.5L? Should I leave this up to my mechanic? I am asking because it would cost about $1000 to have my mechanic replace it. They also suggested I replace the engine with another used one or have a remanufactered engine installed instead...this would cost about $1500+. What would be my best option? I don't have a lot of money either....please let me know.

Thanks a million.

-Dave</TD></TR></TABLE>

$1K to do a headgasket? the HARDEST part in MY estimation on a headgasket change is the crankbolt/timing belt. I changed my headgasket and it ran me about $200 and here is the breakdown

1)$30 or so for the headgasket from honda.
2)$170 on honda redoing my timing, changing the belt, oil change and spark plugs.

I admit to doing a half *** job on the timing, so I let honda do it. The headgasket itself is VERY easy. It is just removing bolts and accessories. You might have to get machine work done on your head if it is warped. Mine was straight.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Head Gasket Blown Questions (dwnthehatch)

expletive having a mechanic do it....

tackle the job urself......

theres a DIY link in here somewhere, it guides u through it. also get the helms manual. that will help u out also

only way i can see u not doin it is lack of tools. thats where friends or other ppl will come it

If you got the car up to me, i would do it for half that price.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:01 AM

I took the car into the mechanic (towed) and they did a pressure test or something and said it was for sure a head gasket. They said they will replace the timing belt and water pump too...

So the break down of the repairs/replacements is the following:

Misc Parts (oil, coolant, etc) - $150
Gasket Set - $150
Time Belt - $56
Water Pump - $45
Labor - $450 - $500

So the grand total = About $950

I cant afford that!

The other option was a "used" engine, which was priced at $500 + $150 misc parts + $800 labor...OR a remanufactered one for even more!

the labor cost more than the whole engine and misc parts itself?!??!?! I feel like im being ripped off big time. Thats why I was wondering if I could just replace the headgasket stuff myself.

If you have a guide on here, please link me.

I have a Chilton's and a Haynes manual...but i need more details.

-Dave

Modified by fadedindigo at 1:12 AM 3/5/2006
Old 03-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fadedindigo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fadedindigo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I took the car into the mechanic (towed) and they did a pressure test or something and said it was for sure a head gasket. They said they will replace the timing belt and water pump too...

So the break down of the repairs/replacements is the following:

Gasket Set - $150
Time Belt - $56
Water Pump - $45
Labor - $450 - $500

I cant afford that!

The other option was a "used" engine, which was priced at $500 + $150 misc parts + $800 labor...OR a remanufactered one for even more!

the labor cost more than the whole engine and misc parts itself?!??!?! I feel like im being ripped off big time. Thats why I was wondering if I could just replace the headgasket stuff myself.

If you have a guide on here, please link me.

I have a Chilton's and a Haynes manual...but i need more details.

-Dave

Modified by fadedindigo at 1:12 AM 3/5/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sounds abour right I guess for labor and everything. Its a couple few hours job, so the labor will get you. If you are going to try to do it yourself, get a Helms. That thing is fantastic and putsd those manuals you have to shame.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=649277

thats for the timming belt....

TO do the head gasket, from that link...

drain coolent
i believe have to remove the dissy also, not 100% on that
pull off head by removing the 10 head studs (10mm or 12mm i think)
remove head gasket and clean up the bitch
check for warpage
replace with new gasket and new studs...
recommend ARP and torque to specs (will need a torque wrench, i think its like 68 pounds or close to that)
replace head
then finish the t-belt and set timming....

thats off the top of my head i can think of... u deff. want to invest in the helms manual
Old 03-05-2006, 11:40 AM

DOHC DEL SOL LOL THATS VERY VERY INCOMPLETE.....
Old 03-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cdizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cdizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DOHC DEL SOL LOL THATS VERY VERY INCOMPLETE.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats why i said off the top of my head.... and ya dont need to scream at me....

try this....

Disconnect battery
drain coolent
Remove intake
Remove exhaust manifold
Remove intake manifold
Remove throttle cable
Pull off Alt + belt
Pull off PS + belt
Remove spark plugs and wires
Remove distributor
Pull off valve cover
Remove cam gear
Remove head bolts
Pull off head

clean block and head surface and check for warpage
New Headgasket
New head bolts
New Distributor O-ring
New Valve cover seals

Replace the head in oppisite order
Torque down head bolts to spec
Align Timing

Note: This is the general idea, it is incomplete as this is what i can think of off the top of my head
Old 03-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cdizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cdizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DOHC DEL SOL LOL THATS VERY VERY INCOMPLETE.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

he said off the top of his head. And honestly, NO ONE should be attempting a job like this without some kind of manual....ESPECIALLY if this is their first time. even if you have to use a helms or chiltons, it is better than nothing at all
Old 03-05-2006, 02:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fadedindigo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Gasket Set - $150
Time Belt - $56
Water Pump - $45
Labor - $450 - $500

Modified by fadedindigo at 1:12 AM 3/5/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

what MISC parts are gonna cost $150? its no mystery what parts are needed to do the job. what are you getting in this $150 "Gasket set" if you are doing the bare minimum to get the car running an oem head gasket is only like $50 or so.

ide find someone locally on here that can do it. I would trust somoene whos credible on here before i would a shop.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:17 PM

Im not sure what misc parts...the service ticket they gave me said oil, coolant, etc...

Do they mean putting oil into the car, a new oil filter, and filling and bleeding the raditor? I can do that myself and keep my $150 dollars.

As for the gasket set, i just want the OEM one and get the car running without overheating.

Is it ness. to replace the wter pump + timing belt if your car's head gasket blew?

-Dave
Old 03-05-2006, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fadedindigo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im not sure what misc parts...the service ticket they gave me said oil, coolant, etc...

Do they mean putting oil into the car, a new oil filter, and filling and bleeding the raditor? I can do that myself and keep my $150 dollars.

As for the gasket set, i just want the OEM one and get the car running without overheating.

Is it ness. to replace the wter pump + timing belt if your car's head gasket blew?

-Dave</TD></TR></TABLE>

necessary....no......a good idea yes. Since you need to remove the timing belt to change the headgasket, it would be wise to change the belt and water pump since you already in there. It would suck to have done all that labor, only to have your water pump fail and have to do it all over again.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fadedindigo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im not sure what misc parts...the service ticket they gave me said oil, coolant, etc...

-Dave</TD></TR></TABLE>

ide definitely replace at least the water pump. especially since the HG blew and you dont know what was kinda gunk might have been running through the pump. You might as well do the timing belt to though, even if it looks fine its not worth taking a chance. You can find the belt cheaper then $56 too, especially if you are willing to go with an aftermarket (non oem) brand. i would stick with oem for the water pump though.

i would REALLY try and find someone on this forum thats local to you that is reputable. If they know what they are doing it shouldnt take more then a good day to do (unless you get the head resurfaced). paying near 1k for that is just rediculous to me. good luck.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for 1000 you can get a b18b swap!

so swap or do it yourself! it's really really really easy!

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T REUSE THE HEAD BOLTS!!! unless you want to do it all again lol
Old 03-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also have you thought about what caused the HG to blow?
Old 03-05-2006, 05:36 PM

I was driving on I-95 when the car started to smoke. The car overheated and I kept driving to get the car home...I know..that was bad.

I found out there was a raditor hose that wasn't clamped correctly and it was leaking coolant. I must have been leaking coolant this whole time without even knowing it.

I fixed the loose hose and clamped it tight, but it was too late. The car overheated again the a week later when I took it out.

I took it in to the shop and the shop says its a blown headgasket due to the overheating.

I'd do an engine swap if someone can do it for me of course lol. I rather go the cheaper route by getting the head gasket replaced and get the car running without overheating.

Anyone wanna come look at it next week when im on spring break? I really need to get this fixed . I dont know if I have enough confidence to do this myself..and im poor lol.