Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hazard lights Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hazard lights Problem?

Alright first thing i did was search, most of my results on the search had nothing to do with my problem. So i installed sidemarkers on my friend EK. The wiring is correct, but the problem is the lights come on, but it keeps blowing fuses when i push the harzard button. It only blows the Harzard fuse which is under the engine bay. I know the car does not have a short anywhere, but is it possible that my hazard button inside the car is causing the hazard fuses to blow? Alright, i need some thoughts on this! So please someone help me, and yes the corner lights and tailights and license plate lights do turn on, it just wont signal anymore unless i blow another hazard fuse. Alright thanks!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hazard lights Problem? (PinoyDelS0l)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PinoyDelS0l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright first thing i did was search, most of my results on the search had nothing to do with my problem. So i installed sidemarkers on my friend EK. The wiring is correct, but the problem is the lights come on, but it keeps blowing fuses when i push the harzard button. It only blows the Harzard fuse which is under the engine bay. I know the car does not have a short anywhere, but is it possible that my hazard button inside the car is causing the hazard fuses to blow? Alright, i need some thoughts on this! So please someone help me, and yes the corner lights and tailights and license plate lights do turn on, it just wont signal anymore unless i blow another hazard fuse. Alright thanks! </TD></TR></TABLE>

whe you say you wired it right, exactly what color wires did you tap into?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hazard lights Problem? (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

whe you say you wired it right, exactly what color wires did you tap into?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I wired the sidemarkers to the corner lights, and i wired it Red to Red & Black to Green. But anyways, today i borrowed my other friend Ek and he let me borrow his hazard button. I tried that on my friends Ek that keeps blowing the fuses, and it still blows the fuses. I also tried another thing today, i took off the wires that i connected from the sidemarkers to the corner lights off and i noticed the hazard worked perfectly fine, but when i reconnect the sidemarker wires back to the corner lights, it just keep blowing the turn signal fuse and the hazard fuse under the engine bay? So now it has something to do with the wires i believe. And i know i connected the wires right because i wired up my other friend EK the same way im wiring it up now thats working perfectly. I just dont understand why it keeps blowing whenever i reconnect his wires to his corner wires.. any thoughts?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the hazard fuse is rated for a set amparage, you added more bulbs to it so the amparage draw is higher now.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (robfrmny21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by robfrmny21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the hazard fuse is rated for a set amparage, you added more bulbs to it so the amparage draw is higher now.

</TD></TR></TABLE> So your saying i should add a high fuse number now instead of 10A? Because i was about to do that earlier today but i have a feeling i might get a short or burn one of the wires out somewhere... But i dont get it, because i have done soo many side markers on other peoples cars, and i never ran into a problem like this one. What can i do besides rating a high hazard fuse? Thanks
Old 08-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PinoyDelS0l)

i think that might be the solution, Higher Fuse Rate. It is weird that its blowing fuses maybe their is a wire break somewhere too...
Old 08-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jime64871)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jime64871 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think that might be the solution, Higher Fuse Rate. It is weird that its blowing fuses maybe their is a wire break somewhere too...</TD></TR></TABLE> But wouldnt a high fuse rate burn one of my wires faster and cause a short? Because im not trying to get my friend mad if something else goes wrong lol.. You know what i mean?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it does burn ti will be the wire that has the break, contacting to metal or something creating the short. Kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone...hehehe...
Old 08-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anymore ideas rather than adding a bigger amp fuse into my hazard fuse?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take it to an automotive electrician!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:17 PM

it cant be a short in the wire because sidemarkers light up . it just wont blink. when the sidemarkers are disconnected the signal and hazards also work perfectly fine..
Old 08-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (itsLOUiSduh)

side-makers should only light-up when your signaling and not on parking lights or headlights...
Old 08-07-2008, 07:30 PM
H-T White Ops

you have power going to a switched ground somewhere when you're turning on your hazzards and that's taking out your fuse. Adding an extra bulb or two to a circuit isn't going to blow a 10A fuse. You're creating a direct short to ground somewhere. You say your wiring is correct....it's obviously not.

Why not just ground one wire of your side markers and tap the hot into the switched wire on your blinkers? That's how mine have been wired up for YEARS. Problem solved.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have power going to a switched ground somewhere when you're turning on your hazzards and that's taking out your fuse. Adding an extra bulb or two to a circuit isn't going to blow a 10A fuse. You're creating a direct short to ground somewhere. You say your wiring is correct....it's obviously not.

Why not just ground one wire of your side markers and tap the hot into the switched wire on your blinkers? That's how mine have been wired up for YEARS. Problem solved. </TD></TR></TABLE> Alright ill give that a shot bro, btw having the lights on and blinking is how my friend wants it. So please keep your worthless comments to yourself and keep this more technical. Thanks. Btw he has a sub system hooked up to his car, but i highly doubt that is whats causing his fuses to blow. But ill give that a shot and ill try a high fuse rate for the hazards.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ehhh only trying to help...
Old 08-07-2008, 10:35 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PinoyDelS0l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But ill give that a shot and ill try a high fuse rate for the hazards.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like I said, the amps that are being drawn by the bulbs isn't your problem. A light bulb pulls FRACTIONS of an amp. If you're blowing a 10 amp fuse in a blinker circuit that lights up only four bulbs at a time, you have a short somewhere. There's no other explanation. I'm willing to wager that even with all 4 blinkers flashing you're pulling TWO AMPS at the most.

By putting in a bigger fuse you're only hiding a problem and possibly creating a fire hazard. Ever take some 14 gauge wire and jump it from the positive to the negative terminal on your battery? That's basically what you're going to be doing.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Like I said, the amps that are being drawn by the bulbs isn't your problem. A light bulb pulls FRACTIONS of an amp. If you're blowing a 10 amp fuse in a blinker circuit that lights up only four bulbs at a time, you have a short somewhere. There's no other explanation. I'm willing to wager that even with all 4 blinkers flashing you're pulling TWO AMPS at the most.

By putting in a bigger fuse you're only hiding a problem and possibly creating a fire hazard. Ever take some 14 gauge wire and jump it from the positive to the negative terminal on your battery? That's basically what you're going to be doing.</TD></TR></TABLE>I will try that, but my friend wants these lights on and blinking at the same time. The sidemarkers do light up, but the blinking wont work.