Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hawkman13's Ek Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkman13's Ek Build

Whats up guys, I recently traded my turbo Integra for a B16 HX Ek coupe. Kind of a downgrade but the Integra kept having problem after problem so I decided to go NA and just have a quick, fuel efficient, clean car. Have alot of plans for this thing and alot of motivation so we'll see where this goes. This is everything the car has as of now.
6/6/2011
-B16A2
-GSR Tranny
-99-00 Front End
-Si Lip
-Si Rear Bumper
-Si Rims
-Clifford Alarm
-DC Sport Headers (s***)
-EP3 Seats
-Strut Bars
-HIDs

Like I said I have alot of plans for this car and Ill list them a little later on, has some kinks that need to be worked out but as of now its a pretty decent DD. But enough talk, on with some pics.

Then I let it sit for a few days before I started to do anything to it. I have some extra parts laying around I decided to throw on. Heres what I did today.
6/8/2011

My tool box

This was the way my engine bay sat, filthy, and with a cheap *** ebay intake with the filter broken off of it. This is the worst part of the car for me, I hate how the bay isnt painted.

So I whooped out the engine degreaser and the sonic scrubber.

So I hit it with the degreaser and let it soak in for awhile

It was eatting way at the gunk pretty good.

But then I took my old strut bar and decided to paint it black

Came out pretty good for rattle can

Then I ripped out the s*** ebay intake

And then got the OEM one

Hit it with some tire shine to shine up the plastic

And this is the only pic I have of the end result, it was getting dark so I just snapped on real quick. Really like how the stock airbox makes it look.

Let me know what you guys think, all opinions and constructive criticism is welcome. Kinda just playing this build by ear as of now so we'll see were this goes
Old 06-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hawkman13's Ek Build

And here are some parts that I need to get around to installing.
Name:  OBYzX.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  404.1 KB
My AEM Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge
Name:  vnL3R.jpg
Size:  517.1 KB
Pioneer Headunit
Name:  qBz4j.jpg
Size:  439.7 KB
And my Hondata s300. Right now Im running a Type R ECU and everything is a little off. Once I get a OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness I can hook up the Hondata and just upload the stock B16 map and adjust my VTEC engagement and 2 step.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good
Old 06-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Eric724
looks good
Thanks alot man
Old 06-13-2011, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice almost like a Si :D
Old 06-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LoLoCivic
nice almost like a Si :D
Haha getting there. Still need quite a bit more to get it all the way there.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So took it to the shop today and did some work on the car. Tightened up my exhaust because a few bolts were loose, and tightened my loose o2 sensor. Also cleaned the undercarriage with some brake cleaner, and tightened a loose tranny drain bolt so now I have no leaks at all. Of course though after I tightened my exhaust I lost power. And it sounds weird, kinda sounds like when you roll a letter in spanish. Thats probably the lamest explanation of a sound ever. But I guess that when I tightened the exhaust bolts I dont have as much flow as before. I guess I just have to upgrade to a bigger exhaust with biggest piping. Anyone have any suggestions on a good exhaust system for a NA stock B16?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A turbo integra for a B16 with a GSR tranny? Talk about a downgrade. A b16 has a very narrow powerband, that really requires a b16 tranny to even remotely be "quick". Considering that any stock B series swap is slow.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimster480
A turbo integra for a B16 with a GSR tranny? Talk about a downgrade. A b16 has a very narrow powerband, that really requires a b16 tranny to even remotely be "quick". Considering that any stock B series swap is slow.
Its not really a downgrade at all. It was just a stock LS with a ebay turbo. Only parts worth anything were the Turbonetics Evolution wastegate, and Greddy RS BOV. Everything else was cheap. People really underestimate how cheap and easy it is to boost. And Im very happy with the pep of the B16. And I love the gas mileage Im getting even more.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hawkman13
Its not really a downgrade at all. It was just a stock LS with a ebay turbo. Only parts worth anything were the Turbonetics Evolution wastegate, and Greddy RS BOV. Everything else was cheap. People really underestimate how cheap and easy it is to boost. And Im very happy with the pep of the B16. And I love the gas mileage Im getting even more.
So what? You can make 300HP on a LS with a ebay turbo lol. I had a built SOHC on boost making ~350WHP
Old 06-13-2011, 05:46 PM
SJC
Honda-Tech Member

any stock B series swap is slow? what's your definition of slow... but the GSR tranny isn't ideal for the B16 at all. but keep onn building the car man, they're fun to build yourself!
Old 06-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SJC
any stock B series swap is slow? what's your definition of slow... but the GSR tranny isn't ideal for the B16 at all. but keep onn building the car man, they're fun to build yourself!
Slow is anything that cant keep up with or beat sports cars. And considering that I havent seen a stock B series car even keep up with a "slow" sports car like a 350Z or a G35, they are pretty slow. 180-200HP is slow. Hell even 200WHP is pretty slow. When you can walk on sports cars all day, and keep up with other tuner cars (and I'm not talking about other civics with equally slow swaps) then you can consider yourself quick. If you can mop up high end, expensive sports cars, and keep up with beefed up tuner cars then you can be considered fast. When a 350Z isnt even a race for you anymore, because you will leave it like nothing, then you can say your fast. I know my built turbo SOHC used to beat Porsche Carerra 4S's, M series cars, AMG mercedes, S600 series (V12) mercedes, and **** on most of the "tuned" setups I saw in the street.
Now that the block is blown and I'm on a relatively stock bottom end D15B on 8PSI, my car is pretty slow. Even when I retune it on 12PSI, it wont be fast. It might be quick (ill test it), but it wont be fast.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont really think theres a exact definition of fast and quick. I think my turbo Integra was fast for what it is. I believe the B16 is quick for what it is. And it will cost next to nothing to boost it with the same previous setup. I just love the simplicity and ease of NA. And not having to bend custom ac lines and everything to clear the "AC and PS Compatiable" manifold is also a plus in my eyes.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hawkman13
I dont really think theres a exact definition of fast and quick. I think my turbo Integra was fast for what it is. I believe the B16 is quick for what it is. And it will cost next to nothing to boost it with the same previous setup. I just love the simplicity and ease of NA. And not having to bend custom ac lines and everything to clear the "AC and PS Compatiable" manifold is also a plus in my eyes.
its a light sporty compact car. I guess they are quicker than most "compacts" these days, but still SLOW in the world of tuner cars. Which is what they are. Your comparing them to stock compacts on the road and saying they are quick. When the compacts on the road are the slowest cars out there. I still walk on B swapped cars, with a untuned (running rich as hell) D15B w/ D17 pistons & a slightly modified Z6 head on 8PSI. And I tell you I punch my car and it feels like it goes nowhere.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:32 PM
SJC
Honda-Tech Member

Slow is anything that cant keep up with or beat sports cars. And considering that I havent seen a stock B series car even keep up with a "slow" sports car like a 350Z or a G35, they are pretty slow. 180-200HP is slow. Hell even 200WHP is pretty slow. When you can walk on sports cars all day, and keep up with other tuner cars (and I'm not talking about other civics with equally slow swaps) then you can consider yourself quick. If you can mop up high end, expensive sports cars, and keep up with beefed up tuner cars then you can be considered fast. When a 350Z isnt even a race for you anymore, because you will leave it like nothing, then you can say your fast. I know my built turbo SOHC used to beat Porsche Carerra 4S's, M series cars, AMG mercedes, S600 series (V12) mercedes, and **** on most of the "tuned" setups I saw in the street.
Now that the block is blown and I'm on a relatively stock bottom end D15B on 8PSI, my car is pretty slow. Even when I retune it on 12PSI, it wont be fast. It might be quick (ill test it), but it wont be fast.
thanks for basically nothing of value at all in that post.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cant we all just get along. Im happy with my car. Lol. And todays my birthday. Woo hoo the big 1-9.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:10 PM
SJC
Honda-Tech Member

happy birthday! Black coupes looks damn good. especially with CF hood and trunk, and mugens and CTR head lights... mmmmmm
Old 06-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SJC
thanks for basically nothing of value at all in that post.
alright buddy
Old 06-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by iboughtas2k
nice!
Thanks alot bro.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very awesome! I too prefer the look of the stock intake over the crappy Ebay junk, though an aftermarket intake from someone reputable might give you a bit more power.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by StreetsideStig
Very awesome! I too prefer the look of the stock intake over the crappy Ebay junk, though an aftermarket intake from someone reputable might give you a bit more power.
Crappy ebay junk?? You realize that name brand filters are usually just pipes aswell? And they typically give the best HP gains, unless you have a like custom done 750$ header. A typical Short Ram can add 4-8 HP. With CAI's making 6-12HP typically.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:09 PM
SJC
Honda-Tech Member

Crappy ebay junk?? You realize that name brand filters are usually just pipes aswell? And they typically give the best HP gains, unless you have a like custom done 750$ header. A typical Short Ram can add 4-8 HP. With CAI's making 6-12HP typically.
those numbers seem a bit high. intake header and exhaust give you 20 wheel hp tops.

but glad to see the DC sports header, i still have mine on my civic... Toda header is waiting to get installed! OP if you want a black B16A2 valve cover i have one just sitting in my garage. along with lots of random 99-00 civic SIR parts.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i fully agree, never understood why someone would pay a couple hundred bucks on a name brand intake, when it is just essentially a aluminum pipe, and fliter! only advantages you might have is that the brand name company may have doen research to find out where the coolest part of the engine bay actually is, so they put the filter in that specific location... only one I would spend money on is the "whale *****", cause those ones actually have an increased diameter pipe where the filter attaches, which I have never seen on any cheap intake... save your money!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My intake was junk, the filter was falling apart and I hate how cheap it looks with all the different elbows attached. I know the only thing that really matter on intakes are the filter, but at the same time the ebay ones just look cheap sitting in the engine bay.

Originally Posted by SJC
those numbers seem a bit high. intake header and exhaust give you 20 wheel hp tops.

but glad to see the DC sports header, i still have mine on my civic... Toda header is waiting to get installed! OP if you want a black B16A2 valve cover i have one just sitting in my garage. along with lots of random 99-00 civic SIR parts.
I love the headers man, Im gonna have to get around to replacing them because the previous owner has seemed to broke them a few times and rewelded them so I need to go to a better set, and what other parts do you have man?

Originally Posted by ozh_hawaiian
i fully agree, never understood why someone would pay a couple hundred bucks on a name brand intake, when it is just essentially a aluminum pipe, and fliter! only advantages you might have is that the brand name company may have doen research to find out where the coolest part of the engine bay actually is, so they put the filter in that specific location... only one I would spend money on is the "whale *****", cause those ones actually have an increased diameter pipe where the filter attaches, which I have never seen on any cheap intake... save your money!
I completely agree, I love that intake and the styling. Or any intake that is one pipe from the throttle body to the filter. It annoys the hell out of me when there are a million bends and couplers for a intake arm thats less that 3 feet long.

Quick Reply: Hawkman13's Ek Build