Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Having some problems with my Icebox...pics and questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having some problems with my Icebox...pics and questions

I'm using a Comptech intake and Icebox on my del Sol VTEC. I assumed it would work out ok...a Civic Si's and my engine bay are fairly similar. I've run across some problems, however. Can anyone help me out, or am I just stuck with where it's at right now?

First pic:

After much trial and error with finding a place to mount that bracket, I finally figured out where I thought it was supposed to go. It all seemed fine until I tried to connect the filter and the intake tube. The box, and consequently the filter, was too far "back" (toward the rear of the car), and so the intake and filter would not match up. Right now there are no brackets connecting the Icebox to the car. It's just sitting there...it doesn't move really, so I'm not concerned with it falling out the bottom of the car or anything. Anyone have any thoughts as to where else to put the bracket so it fits the box right?

Second pic:

This is probably a result of the box not fitting right up top. Here is where the bracket is for the tubing. You can see it below the hose clamp. If I understood the directions correctly, the clamp is supposed to go around the back of that bracket, and hold the tubing to it. As you can see, the tubing is relatively far away from the bracket, with no hope of being attached to it.

Third pic:

The third and final problem. The air horn (flared thing on the end of the tubing) is less than an inch away from the bumper. I'm concerned that it is too close to an obstruction (the bumper) to do it's job of drawing in a lot of cold air. Is this a legit concern?

Finally, if anyone has an Icebox on their Si or EG with a B-series, and you are not experiencing these problems...could you let me know what's going on? Is it me? Is it the fact that it's a del Sol?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2002, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Having some problems with my Icebox...pics and questions (delsolguy)

this is kinda off the topic...but how much did that full setup cost?? looks better than an AEM...
Old 04-29-2002, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Having some problems with my Icebox...pics and questions (hybridhondas)

slooowdx: I paid about $400 shipped. I think it was like $394 or something. I got mine from Landspeed, but IPS Racing also carries them.

hybridhondas: That sounds like a good idea. Actually what I think I will do is mount the bracket to the chassis then drill a hole in the Icebox.

Anyone have any thoughts on the air horn part? I thought about cutting the piping short, but I'm not gonna do that if it doesn't make a difference. The car didn't lose any performance compared to just the short ram that I could tell. It might've gained some too but who knows. The butt dyno isn't the most scientific method.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Having some problems with my Icebox...pics and questions (delsolguy)

trim the tubing
Old 04-29-2002, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Having some problems with my Icebox...pics and questions (slooowDX)

i think id like to work on this little project ..need some hands on to solve the problem..dont see a big one from here though
Old 04-29-2002, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Having some problems with my Icebox...pics and questions (Boost Pressure)

You paid $400 for it and are willing to drill holes in it! Why not just drill a hole in the car? It looks like there is another hole about an inch forward. Did you try it?
Old 04-29-2002, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Having some problems with my Icebox...pics and questions (Hayasa15)

The Icebox only needed to be moved forward half an inch or so, not enough to get the hole in the box lined up with that other hole (I hope that made sense).

And I paid $400 for the intake + the Icebox. I paid thousands for the car. I think I'd drill into the plastic box first instead of the chassis.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:02 PM
New User

Your airhorn concern is nothing to worry about. Leave it as is.

The airhorn will draw air from wherever it is. The more "still" the air is, the better.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Having some problems with my Icebox...pics and questions (MaxBoost)

Your airhorn concern is nothing to worry about. Leave it as is.

The airhorn will draw air from wherever it is. The more "still" the air is, the better.
Thanks
Old 04-29-2002, 08:22 PM

So, did you get it to work?

I helped install one on my friends 2000 Si. The horn sits that close to his bumper too.
Old 04-29-2002, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Having some problems with my Icebox...pics and questions (Bagel Williams)

if its the intake tubing that s too long or short..check out a muffler shop that ll bend some 3in. alum. tubing for u..wont cost much either..i drill a few holes , out of sight on the front bumper cover to increase the air flow ..if thats what ur worried about
Old 04-30-2002, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

That airbox and the position it's in looks like it's made for DC2 Integras. Is it made that way for Civics, too? I made my own version of the Icebox for my Teg, cost $45 incl the K&N filter.
Old 04-30-2002, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Having some problems with my Icebox...pics and questions (Bagel Williams)

So, did you get it to work?

I helped install one on my friends 2000 Si. The horn sits that close to his bumper too.
Well it's working, but it's just kind of thrown together. The same problems are still there. If it's nice tomorrow I'll probably get around to mounting a bracket and drilling the hole, but I don't know if I will bother with the lower tubing or not.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:22 PM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i didnt know you posted over here delsolguy

this is "revels"
Old 05-14-2002, 07:54 PM
New User

Default Re: Having some problems with my Icebox...pics and questions (DxHatchback)

Im running the "icebox" on my Si. Ill take a look at it tommorrow and ill let you know something then.

-tell
Old 05-15-2002, 04:16 AM

Default Re: Having some problems with my Icebox...pics and questions (bishop)

DxHatchback: Yeah...I don't post that much but I love to read. There's a lot of good info here...and the smilies are better .

bishop: That'd be great if you could do that, because my lazy *** hasn't gotten around to fixing the "problem" yet.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Having some problems with my Icebox...pics and questions (PatrickGSR94)

That airbox and the position it's in looks like it's made for DC2 Integras. Is it made that way for Civics, too? I made my own version of the Icebox for my Teg, cost $45 incl the K&N filter.
A del sol VTEC would be much more similar to a DC2R than a 99-00 Si engine bay.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Having some problems with my Icebox...pics and questions (Asahi)

A del sol VTEC would be much more similar to a DC2R than a 99-00 Si engine bay.
How so? A del Sol VTEC is an EG2. Aren't the Civic engine bays a lot more similar to each other than to Integra bays? Also, the AEM CAI for the Civic Si is the exact same as the AEM CAI for a del Sol VTEC.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good point. The motor and engine bay configurationseems to be more like the Type-R and I know the Type-R AEM fits. Could just need work regardless