Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

having problems with clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having problems with clutch.

well this has happened twice to me while driving my 94 hatch, the clutch would lose pressure and it wouldnt be enough to engage the gears. the first time it was cause i ran out of clutch fluid so i added more and bled it. the second time fluid was full but as i was driving i had clutched in and felt and heard a little pop and instantly lost pressure to my clutch but the pedal didnt drop to the floor i tried re-bleeding it but still didnt gain any pressure. im guessing it may be my slave cylinder or i need a new clutch. i never really had any problems puting my car into gear.

the car has 160,XXX miles dont know too much of the maintanence done from previous owner.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: having problems with clutch.

check your master and slave cylinder. have someone sit in the car with it on, and pressing on the clutch, on and off, and look for leaks. my clutch leaked at the slave cylinder (right where it engages the clutch fork for the tranny) so I replaced it and I haven't been leaking since.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:42 PM

hmm we did do that but didn't suspect any leaking anywhere but ill give it another try.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by WTFINEEDBBQ
hmm we did do that but didn't suspect any leaking anywhere but ill give it another try.
whats the time frame on losing pressure? mine was a fast leak so it was obvious. if you have the money might as well do precautionary upgrades on the master and slave, but that's just me.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Del Namco Solo
whats the time frame on losing pressure? mine was a fast leak so it was obvious. if you have the money might as well do precautionary upgrades on the master and slave, but that's just me.
mine was pretty quick but with no leaks but im thinking of replacing my slave if thats causing the problem. or just save up for a b series swap and change everything.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by WTFINEEDBBQ
Sometimes the seals in the master cylinder or slave are worn out just enough for the fluid to pass through without showing any signs of leaking.

In a closed hydraulic system, i.e. your clutch any signs of fluid loss means there is a leak. Have you checked the master or slave? Have they been rebuilt more than once?
Old 11-21-2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Koopa Troopa
Sometimes the seals in the master cylinder or slave are worn out just enough for the fluid to pass through without showing any signs of leaking.

In a closed hydraulic system, i.e. your clutch any signs of fluid loss means there is a leak. Have you checked the master or slave? Have they been rebuilt more than once?
hmm that may explain.. so far i checked the slave im starting to think my slave needs to be replaced. im pretty sure it hasnt been rebuilt before.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The general rule of thumb is; only rebuild once then replace. The cylinder will wear out and the seals won't fit right.