Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Have you guys ever heard of this??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you guys ever heard of this??

I think I somehow popped my cv joints apart while driving then they popped back together after i hit a bump in the road? I'm just curious if this is possible.

I took off normally from a stoplight when the cv joints supposedly disconnected (or so i think), I could still drive the car but it felt like my clutch was slipping hardcore when I would try to accelerate. my rpms and my speedometer would rise simultaneously but I would hardly gain any speed. btw I have a LSD if that would contribute to anything.

Also, when I would accelerate the car would pull to one side and when I would let off the gas, it would want to pull to the other. I figured it was axle related once this happened.

So I'm like f*** it, my car is still moving so ill see if I can make it home.

A few minutes later, I hit a bump in the road decently hard (not on purpose) and that seemed to pop the cv joints or something back into place. The rest of the drive home my car accelerated and drove fine as if nothing ever happened??? Now I'm confused lol

I just wanted to see your opinons on what acually happend. I'm still kinda unsure.

Do you think i will need to replace that axle??
Old 10-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Have you guys ever heard of this?? (94delslo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94delslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think I somehow popped my cv joints apart while driving then they popped back together after i hit a bump in the road? I'm just curious if this is possible.

I took off normally from a stoplight when the cv joints supposedly disconnected (or so i think), I could still drive the car but it felt like my clutch was slipping hardcore when I would try to accelerate. my rpms and my speedometer would rise simultaneously but I would hardly gain any speed. btw I have a LSD if that would contribute to anything.

Also, when I would accelerate the car would pull to one side and when I would let off the gas, it would want to pull to the other. I figured it was axle related once this happened.

So I'm like f*** it, my car is still moving so ill see if I can make it home.

A few minutes later, I hit a bump in the road decently hard (not on purpose) and that seemed to pop the cv joints or something back into place. The rest of the drive home my car accelerated and drove fine as if nothing ever happened??? Now I'm confused lol

I just wanted to see your opinons on what acually happend. I'm still kinda unsure.

Do you think i will need to replace that axle?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

no, axles cannot do that. if i had to guess what your problem might be, i would say you might have bad tie rods, maybe even bad ball joints. but axles can't pop back in and out.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Have you guys ever heard of this?? (philosofy1)

so bad tie rods or ball joints would cause me to hardly accelerate?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your CV joint popped out, the inner shaft would spin and rip the boot in half in less than a second.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:59 PM

Ok well, I'm going to jack up the car and try and see it anything looks out of place.

If anybody has any other ideas on what it could be please let me know. I have to drive back to Austin from Houston tomorrow and it would suck if I got stranded on the side of the road because of this.

All help is greatly appreciated
Old 10-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94delslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so bad tie rods or ball joints would cause me to hardly accelerate? </TD></TR></TABLE>

not sure about accelerating, but maybe with the steering problem.
and i didn't say it was your problem, i said maybe. i've never heard of you situation before.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: (WhiteOnRice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteOnRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your CV joint popped out, the inner shaft would spin and rip the boot in half in less than a second.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh ok that makes perfect sense. Thanks for your help! Now I'm totally lost on what could have happened lol
Old 10-14-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Have you guys ever heard of this?? (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not sure about accelerating, but maybe with the steering problem.
and i didn't say it was your problem, i said maybe. I've never heard of you situation before.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's weird because the pulling only occurred when it felt like my clutch was slipping when I could hardly accelerate. I'm sure I probably need to replace those things anyway lol. Thanks for your opinion!