Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

have some questions on d16z6

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have some questions on d16z6

okay, so call me a noob or whatever i dont care, ha i recently bought a 95 del sol its my firt honda and it has 150,000 miles, and i want to turbo it, i want to know if its even safe to turbo it with that many miles, and every single thing i would have to put into it before turboing it!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: have some questions on d16z6

Its really hard too say man, depends on the condition of the motor. If you do turbo it please do research first and make sure you get a quality tune!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive had the car for about two months now, and i look on here and google every day, and dont get me wrong, i know how to work on cars, but im just not experienced in turbos
Old 04-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any idea how well the car was taken care of. Maitnence wise
Old 04-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shock.top.pat!
ive had the car for about two months now, and i look on here and google every day, and dont get me wrong, i know how to work on cars, but im just not experienced in turbos
I'm in a similar situation, I got the same car and around the same time as you incidentally. The first thing I also wanted to do was turbo.

So naturally I started researching into it, and what i've learned is this: To install A decent turbo (not an ebay nock off) and done correctly your looking at a lot of money. Also being that its our first turbo I recommend taking it slow, as not to push our engines too hard and have to pour more money into it.

Some of the things I see needing done are things like forged pistons, ECU, Injector size, Intercooler, Intake, Exhaust, The list goes on...

My point being is that the turbo install should be last, but also by the time you get there your engine will have been(or should be) totally overhauled.

One more thing to keep in mind, by doing all the other things first your still getting better HP gains. So its not like your getting nothing until the turbo... your just making it a lot easier for the turbo and yourself when you get it.

This is odd: About 3 months ago my civic got totaled and a month later I bought a 95 Del Sol SI with 148,000 miles on it. I have a different engine than you(DOHC B-Series engine someone before me swapped in), but other than that, same situation as you.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the way i got the car, by the looks it wasnt maintenance very well, it was all riced out, and spider webs growing on the engine
Old 04-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It depends alot on your power goals. I haven't owned a turbo honda but I've been around allsorts of hondas for years. If you're looking for over 200 to 250, you need to pull the motor and do a low compression compression turbo build. Your stock motor may be able to handle 200 with a turbo if it's in good condition. I have 160k on mine and it is vert healthy... Make sure to get a good tune regardless.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the help guys, i think im gonna invest in new coilovers, and diamond racing wheels. and if anyone has any diamond racing wheels or knows someone selling any let me know
Old 04-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check wheelfire.com I got a great deal through them
Old 04-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Davis Del Sol
I'm in a similar situation, I got the same car and around the same time as you incidentally. The first thing I also wanted to do was turbo.

So naturally I started researching into it, and what i've learned is this: To install A decent turbo (not an ebay nock off) and done correctly your looking at a lot of money. Also being that its our first turbo I recommend taking it slow, as not to push our engines too hard and have to pour more money into it.

Some of the things I see needing done are things like forged pistons, ECU, Injector size, Intercooler, Intake, Exhaust, The list goes on...

My point being is that the turbo install should be last, but also by the time you get there your engine will have been(or should be) totally overhauled.

One more thing to keep in mind, by doing all the other things first your still getting better HP gains. So its not like your getting nothing until the turbo... your just making it a lot easier for the turbo and yourself when you get it.

This is odd: About 3 months ago my civic got totaled and a month later I bought a 95 Del Sol SI with 148,000 miles on it. I have a different engine than you(DOHC B-Series engine someone before me swapped in), but other than that, same situation as you.
There is alot to learn and def read, read and read some more. I personally am under the assumption that if your plan on boosting your motor for the very least run compression tests and leak down test to find the engines health.. I would rebuild it.

The stock rods in the d16 will handle around 200-250hp(250 i think is pushing it hard, but people do it)

now that bseries will take 300+ stock bottom end with no problems. the delsol VTEC came with a bseries in it actually, you might have one, or someone swapped it, who knows.

It all comes down to a great tune, cant be stressed enough, dont do it and your **** will blow up.

Also keep in mind the extended amount of care and maintenance and premium fuel to keep up on it. If i had to DD my hatch i would be pissed lol.

Check out the forced induction forum, and read through some of the faq's and get an idea what you need to start looking into.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a good start you should compression test the motor or rebuild with oem parts if you arent going forged. Mainly just to make sure you have a healthy motor; i.e. spark plugs, t-belt, water pump, all that good stuff. But yea most of the fuel, oil, and air components should be healthy.

Edit: Also look on super streetdotcom. They have a great artical where the turbo a stock ex. GL. Ive read it a few times and im still learning as well.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:32 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lunareg
There is alot to learn and def read, read and read some more. I personally am under the assumption that if your plan on boosting your motor for the very least run compression tests and leak down test to find the engines health.. I would rebuild it.

The stock rods in the d16 will handle around 200-250hp(250 i think is pushing it hard, but people do it)

now that bseries will take 300+ stock bottom end with no problems. the delsol VTEC came with a bseries in it actually, you might have one, or someone swapped it, who knows.

It all comes down to a great tune, cant be stressed enough, dont do it and your **** will blow up.

Also keep in mind the extended amount of care and maintenance and premium fuel to keep up on it. If i had to DD my hatch i would be pissed lol.

Check out the forced induction forum, and read through some of the faq's and get an idea what you need to start looking into.
X2 on this.

If you plan on doing this on a stock bottom end-Check the health of the engine BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!!!. If you're building the engine it doesn't matter.

You're also looking at upgrading the clutch. The stock one won't be able to hold that power and will be slipping every time you try to gun the engine.

Make sure you upgrade the whole fuel system to include large enough injectors to handle the increased demand for fuel. This also includes he fuel pump. Change the fuel filter out or upgrade it for better flow. Stock FPR and rail is fine but it won't hurt to upgrade it.

Get QUALITY key components. Turbo. Wastegate. Manifold. You can get by on Ebay no-brand name items for the rest of it like piping and intercooler.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO CONSIDER IS ENGINE MANAGEMENT!!! This will make or break your whole build. Stay away from running an FMU for fuel management or a VAFC to "tune". Get a chipped ECU with a basemap and at the very LEAST get it street tuned by someone that knows what they're doing. DO NOT RUN YOUR ENGINE ON A BASEMAP!!! I don't care HOW many people say that have done it successfully. You wil most undoubtedly be the first person that is UNsuccessful.

Check the link in my sig to see what is required in installing a turbo kit and how it goes together.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 04-26-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lunareg

well actually my car was the SI version not the SI VTEC, so originally came with the same engine as his. I got lucky found a good deal on my car and got it with a B18C1. Speaking of which Im a little worried about something: my engine burns oil, needs an overhaul, gaskets, seals, etc... does this mean my engine has too many miles for me to be thinking turbo? or with TLC should I be fine? This would be my first turbo so I don't need too much power, maybe just go safe and keep the psi between 10-15?