Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Have a question about Keyless Entry/Dome light w/ aftermarket head unit 96-98 EX. (I searched)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 05:17 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a question about Keyless Entry/Dome light w/ aftermarket head unit 96-98 EX. (I searched)

Ok well I installed an aftermarket head unit a few months ago in my 97 Ex. Well I didnt have the knowledge then about using a certain harness to keep OE radio and Keyless entry. Well when I bought the car used it did not come with remotes, but I figured as an EX it should. I have the lil button between the FM/AM and CD/Tape. Well im reading and I know what harness I need to plug in the old stereo, but what in the hell do I do about that green plug? I would think it has to be put into the old deck, but nothing I have read has confirmed it. I have seen that it is the plug that controlls the factory keyless entry, but nobody mentioned it when they posted in threads about hooking up a aftermarket stereo? I would again assume it just need to pulled back and installed into the radio like the adapter would. Now in the first link it shows a harness, but there are two seperate wires running off the part that plugs into the OEM radio anyone know? The second link the the one from Metra and its hard to see whats all included, but it doesnt appear to have the green plug. The third one is the Scocshe which shows the green plug, looks like an extension for far away relocates. So does anyone know for sure before I start ordering parts? Also my dome light will work after this correct, and how do I know if the car came equiped with an alarm or will it most likely just be the Keyless Entry? ANY help is welcomed, I really want this, but I want it done right the first time.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-N...L#Tab

http://hififorless.com/showPro...23959

http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOHAK1B?vq_id=-13
Old 11-20-2005, 07:21 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Have a question about Keyless Entry/Dome light w/ aftermarket head unit 96-98 EX. (turner7205)

ttt
Old 11-20-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Have a question about Keyless Entry/Dome light w/ aftermarket head unit 96-98 EX. (turner7205)

You dont need to keep the old radio, you loop two wires from the green connecter toghter to get your doom light back and what not. It was a strang way to route the wires from the factory. Ill look for the post that said specificly what to do.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:29 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Have a question about Keyless Entry/Dome light w/ aftermarket head unit 96-98 EX. (nocturnaldrag

Well if my EX had Keyless entry, I would like to get it back. From what I heard you need the OEM radio?
Old 11-20-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Have a question about Keyless Entry/Dome light w/ aftermarket head unit 96-98 EX. (nocturnaldrag

Sorry I cant find it anywhere, someone else should know how to do it tho. It was about a week ago I saw it.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:32 PM

Nope, something loops thro the radio I guess which is why people left there radio's in, but I heard theres an harness you can get that loops those wires so you dont need to keep the stock radio.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:32 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Well I know what you are talking about just connecting those two wires, but I think thats only good for the Dome light.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:36 PM

Nope, something loops thro the radio I guess which is why people left there radio's in, but I heard theres an harness you can get that loops those wires so you dont need to keep the stock radio.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:38 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

hmm, yeah if anyone can find that info I will search recent topics again.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:44 PM

Old 11-20-2005, 07:55 PM

Old 11-20-2005, 08:05 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Why do you keep posting the same thing?
Old 11-20-2005, 08:23 PM

my browser was being all retarded. sorry
Old 11-21-2005, 06:48 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Well I know I need the factory radio and I need to use the green plug as well. I need the OEM radio because I need it to program the new remots. BUT does anyone know a sure way to tell if the car came with Keyless Entry? I bought it used so I did not get the remotes. On the sticker thats on the window when it was new, says it came with it. Anyknow know how to verify?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nope, something loops thro the radio I guess which is why people left there radio's in, but I heard theres an harness you can get that loops those wires so you dont need to keep the stock radio.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought the reciever for the keyless entry was inside the radio and thats why you had to keep it in. Not sure how connecting 2 wires from the green plug would cause it to suddenly recieve a signal from the remote. I dont know for sure though, I could experiment when I get home I suppose.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:57 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Well I went and bought the Metra kit, but the plug on the Metra harness will not plug into the factory harness. The other side will plug into the OEM radio. Im just gonna return it and see what else they have or go buy one from Best Buy. While I had my Stereo out I noticed I had TWO green security plugs back there, is this normal in case someone cuts one off by accident? The metra kit I bought was 80-1720T. BUT the package was open and it was the last one they had so its prly a diffrent model or something I dont know. Below is a pic into my dash showing the extra green plug, ANY help is wanted at this point.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:19 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Well I just realized I got the 80-1720T and NOT the 70-1720T. Does anyone know the difference?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try this site

http://www.installdr.com/

It helped me when I was upgrading my stereo.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:56 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Have a question about Keyless Entry/Dome light w/ aftermarket head unit 96-98 EX. (d16rice)

The only thing that told me was that I need a harness. Anyone else? I guess that second green plug is for the Alarm. Whats the difference between those two harnesses?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:00 PM

I belive the reciver is in the dome light thingie, thats how it shows it in my wiring guides I looked thro, but no matter what I looked at I dont see any wires going to the radio period. Anyhow from what I remember the wires going to the radio is just for the dome light which is why people keep it and possibly the lock but I dont remember 100%
Old 11-22-2005, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I belive the reciver is in the dome light thingie, thats how it shows it in my wiring guides I looked thro, but no matter what I looked at I dont see any wires going to the radio period. Anyhow from what I remember the wires going to the radio is just for the dome light which is why people keep it and possibly the lock but I dont remember 100% </TD></TR></TABLE>

ah ic, yea I am forgetting alot of this too but its slowly coming back. Did mine over a year ago and forgot alot of it. I might be able to confirm if I ever feel like ripping my dash apart again.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I just realized I got the 80-1720T and NOT the 70-1720T. Does anyone know the difference?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have PM. I have the 80-1720T and it works.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:30 AM
You_Get_Vapors

You will need something to receive and transmit the signal for keyless entry. (stock radio or aftermarket sysytem i.e. alarm) The dome light operates off the door switches which can be wired without the aftermarket harness or the stock radio.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:36 AM

Alright after finding a 96-98 service manual, it clearly shows the keyless entry modual being built into the factory radio.

So you will need to keep a factory radio in order to keep the stock remotes and what not. If not you can wire up an after market unit to that connector.

Here is a pin out of the wires for refference if you decide to do so because it was a pain to find this in my manual its a single pdf file unlike my 95 civic which is many and easy to navigate.

Connector C518 16pin connector
b1 blue/red Ignition key switch
b2 light green Trunk latch switch
b3 Blue/Yellow Drivers side door unlock only
b4 blue Valet switch
b5* Light Blue Secuirity In
b6 black/yellow No.14 fuse 7.5amp
b7* Orange Secuirity D2
b8 Light Green/Black Celing light
b9 Green/Orange Unlock all doors
b10 Lock Output
b11* Blue/White Led -
b12* White/Black Secuirity D0
b13* Yellow/Blue Secuirity D1
b14 Light Green/Red Door switch
b15 Black Ground
b16 Gray Horn

* for secuirity system option

-page 1328- &lt;--- for my refferece if I have to look something back up
Old 11-22-2005, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Much thanks for the info. ^^^
Old 11-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you do if your keyless entry just stopped working? I installed my turbo kit a while ago and now it wont work. I have a feeling it is becuase I unhooked the battery.

I hate wiring so I have never really even looked into it, but if the topic is already here I would like to get KE back

Quick Reply: Have a question about Keyless Entry/Dome light w/ aftermarket head unit 96-98 EX. (I searched)