Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Have Mugen axle-back, need to complete exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have Mugen axle-back, need to complete exhaust

I've been running a Mugen axle back on my '00 Si for the past 20-30000 miles. I would like to complete the exhaust system including the header on back. I'm trying to determine what all I would need for this. So far I think I need 3 things:

1. Header (leaning towards Megan Racing 4-1, mostly because of price) possibly DC Sports 4-2-1 depending on budget.

2. High flow cat

3. B-Pipe with Resonator

Regarding the header, if I ever wanted to install a JR Supercharger, would that require a custom/different header? If so, is there a header I can buy and use now that would be compatible when/if I do go with a JR?

The B-pipe is what confuses me the most. From what i can gather, it connects the cat to the muffler/axle section. The only thing I see special about it is the resonator. I gather there are a couple options as far as a b-pipe is concerned; have one custom-made or get one from another cat-back system. Is it possible to get just the cat-axle portion of a cat-back system? Closest thing I can find for b-pipe replacement is on kteller.com, the 'exhaust piping kit', which might work, and they can pre-weld a resonator in. Looks like it would run just over $300, which seems a bit pricey for b-pipe + resonator, not sure though. I also see 3 different resonator lengths available from them, what is the difference? Is it just fitment or do longer ones provide more sound-dampening?

Maybe it would be easier for me to just buy an apexi WS2 catback and sell the Mugen, i could probably just about break even. Although i love the Mugen, so i would hate to do that, exploring these options first.

Also, pipe sizing, I'm not positive, but i think the Mugen is a 60mm pipe diameter. So does going with 2.25in or 60mm piping on the rest of the system make sense? The Mugen bolted right up to the existing Si piping, which is a bit smaller i think, but I didn't get a close look at it.

Is there anything else I am missing? Anything else I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for helping out this newb.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Have Mugen axle-back, need to complete exhaust

where are you located?.. i know how you can locate the rest to the mugen axle-back..meaning the mugen b-pipe
Old 03-18-2009, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Indiana. I would be interested in that. Would that B-pipe fit an EM1? I wasn't able to find a cat-back Mugen system for the coupe when I bought the axle-back. Does the Mugen B-pipe have a resonator?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm also seeing that T1R makes a B-pipe for the EM1 with 63mm/2.5in piping. Anyone know if this would bolt up to the Mugen Twin Loop axle back?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can keep the same header if you were to go with the JR supercharger...it's turbochargers that do away with the header.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by biodtl
I'm also seeing that T1R makes a B-pipe for the EM1 with 63mm/2.5in piping. Anyone know if this would bolt up to the Mugen Twin Loop axle back?
havent seen a t1r b pipe in person but in the pictures it looks like its 2.5" piping but bottle necks down to use a 2 1/4" donut gasket. they got 2 different mugen axle back's. ek4 has the 2 1/4" flange and the ek9 has the 2.5" flange. make sure u got the right muffler before u order a b pipe or your gonna have to cut and weld stuff cause the 2 1/4" donut gasket off the b pipe wont really bolt up to the ek9 size flange.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm pretty sure my Mugen axleback is a 2.25/60mm. It bolts right up to stock piping. Would the Mugen EK4/2.25in flange fit the EM1? Don't the hatch and coupe models have different piping?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by biodtl
I'm pretty sure my Mugen axleback is a 2.25/60mm. It bolts right up to stock piping. Would the Mugen EK4/2.25in flange fit the EM1? Don't the hatch and coupe models have different piping?
yes. just realized they make a 2-4 door muffler and those are 2.25. that would bolt up to the t1r b pipe