Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have fuel, but NO spark; no CEL; obd1 motor into obd2 chassis

99 civic dx coupe
obd2b vtec harness
obd1 motor
p28 ecu neptuned

(w/ obd2b > obd1 jumper harness)

i changed alternator and injector clips to obd1. everything else is untouched.

car cranks but no fire. fuel pump comes on. top of pistons are wet. i tested the spark in all cylinders with a screwdriver and got nothing. battery is fine. main relay was checked recently and is working okay. no fuses blown. all grounds are clean and secured tightly.

I'm (hoping) it's something with the distributor. what/how do i check? (the 2-obd1 distributor plugs were repined to match the 1-obd2b harness plug. big black wire goes into the empty slot, big blue wire gets T'd into the yellow/green or green/yellow can't think off top of my head)

if i put on a working obd2 dizzy will that work with my p28 ecu? i'm assuming no but im not sure.

my cap, rotor, plug wires have less than 5k miles on em (whole build has less than 5k miles actually)

i checked the ignition coil with my multimeter. i dunno if i was doing it right but the "primary" readings are .8 ohms (spec is .6 - .8 ohms) and the "secondary" reading is 11.xx (spec is 12.8-19.2 K-ohms)

any ideas?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Was this car running at one time or is this the first startup after the swap? Are the distributor and ECU known to be good?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94CivicSi)

ran fine in my old EJ2.

dizzy was getting spark a month ago but no fuel at that time. got the fuel to start spraying then lost spark. i then bought a new harness and just put it in today. now it has fuel but still no spark.

ecu is good
Old 05-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a shot in the dark here, if the ECU isn't getting a CPS signal from the distributor, I don't believe it will send the spark.

It could be an error in your repinning of the dizzy plug, or it could be that the harness you bought has the CPS signal pinned to the wrong place on the ECU. I would think either would throw a code, but throwing it out there for contemplation.

Edit: from Katman's "EK wiring" thread:

Modified by 94CivicSi at 4:39 PM 5/14/2008
Old 05-14-2008, 01:26 PM

Default Re: have fuel, but NO spark; no CEL; obd1 motor into obd2 chassis (dinko)

sounds like dizzy or u repinned something wrong. look it over
Old 05-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: have fuel, but NO spark; no CEL; obd1 motor into obd2 chassis (subiesteve)

i was told i don't need one of these:

all i did was take an empty slot on my distributor plug and plugged in the fat black/yellow wire to butt up to the black/yellow on the other side. then i jumped the fat blue (tach signal) to the yellow/green wire on the bigger distributor plug. i was able to eliminate the smaller second plug (which the obd2b harness doesn't have)

so did i do it correctly or do i need to build/buy one of these distributor sub harnesses

thanks
Old 05-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: have fuel, but NO spark; no CEL; obd1 motor into obd2 chassis (dinko)

there's my dizzy plug...

Old 05-14-2008, 04:13 PM

dude the say thing happend to my del sol..no spark..so I just changed my ignition coil..and wahlah!!..car starts and is ready to go!..although in the process I replaced the cap and rotors just in case..
Old 05-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: have fuel, but NO spark; no CEL; obd1 motor into obd2 chassis (lilsol89)

BUMMER Dinko...hope you can find the <FONT COLOR="green">GREMLIN</FONT> in that car.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: have fuel, but NO spark; no CEL; obd1 motor into obd2 chassis (gabebauman)

to answer your question

yes any obd2 dizzy will work with any obd1 ecu

try another dizzy!!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well to my understanding, you must have that big black/yellow wire connected to the other side of the plug i dont know which wire it is, but if its not hooked up, no startie
Old 05-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ironcheftony)

a friend of mine who's very knowledgeable with honda wiring says i have the blue tach wire T'd into the wrong wire on the dizzy plug. i was told by a very reputable source on here which wire to T the tach signal into....

now im very confused. im gonna try to pull the blue wire off and see if she comes to life.... brb
Old 05-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dinko)

cut the blue tach wire and gave her a whirl and still nothing might have fried the igniter so i'm gonna try replacing that tonight hopefully
Old 05-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

x2 on the igniter. my friend had same problem....Tester would of been ur best friend to test where spark stops. and im sure its from the ignition/igniter.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Found this ignition troubleshooting article: http://www.team-integra.net/se...=1112

Sounds like you've already done the first 2 steps, but they give instructions on testing for the input signal and ignitor as well.

Keep us up to date!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also if u havent done so...once u take that dizzy cap off try cranking the car and see if that rotor spins (u will need someone to help u do either or), if it doesnt then u might want to check your timing belt. and grab a tester and check the wires starting before the igniter/ignition and move on to the dizzy.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SinsEvil666)

well ive been told that if i crossed the ICM wire (yellow/green) with the tach wire (blue) that i may have fried the igniter. i'm gonna try replacing the igniter with a different one later tonight.

thanks for the link fella, team-integra def. explains it easier than the cheapo manual i got from the parts store haha.

Modified by dinko at 6:27 PM 5/15/2008
Old 05-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94CivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Edit: from Katman's "EK wiring" thread:

</TD></TR></TABLE>

btw this diagram is a lil confusing....

i only have a GRN wire on the obd2 side which matches up to the pink/blue wire on the obd1 dizzy side.

also, there is no lt blue + dark blue wire on the obd2 side. it only has one blue wire goin to the plug errr!!!

i found another link to this

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1876307 but it's been a long day im too brain dead to think....

(copied from the link)
Wiring Chart ---- OBD1 OBD2 Function
orange -&gt; dark blue CYPP
white -&gt; white CYPG
orange/blue -&gt; green TDCP
white/blue -&gt; red TDCG
blue/green -&gt; yellow CKPP
blue/yellow -&gt; black CKPG
yellow/green -&gt; yellow/green ICM
black/yellow -&gt; black/yellow IGN Output
blue -&gt; blue Tach Output

would this chart yield the same results as the diagram by katman?

Old 05-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dinko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

btw this diagram is a lil confusing....

i only have a GRN wire on the obd2 side which matches up to the pink/blue wire on the obd1 dizzy side.

also, there is no lt blue + dark blue wire on the obd2 side. it only has one blue wire goin to the plug errr!!!

i found another link to this

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1876307 but it's been a long day im too brain dead to think....

(copied from the link)
Wiring Chart ---- OBD1 OBD2 Function
orange -&gt; dark blue CYPP
white -&gt; white CYPG
orange/blue -&gt; green TDCP
white/blue -&gt; red TDCG
blue/green -&gt; yellow CKPP
blue/yellow -&gt; black CKPG
yellow/green -&gt; yellow/green ICM
black/yellow -&gt; black/yellow IGN Output
blue -&gt; blue Tach Output

would this chart yield the same results as the diagram by katman?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

As long as the diagram you are using is for Obd2b (you are working with the small dizzy plug) you will be fine.

Katman's diagram is for obd2a only, it is misleading because it doesn't state that anywhere. he just says "obd2", but as you know 99-00 Civics are much different! (except for the 99-00 Si which uses the obd2a style big plug)
Old 05-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USDMCIVICHATCH)

the big obd1 plug and dizzy plug on obd2 harness fit together just fine. i just need to know if i have the wires T'd correctly. it's obvious the blk/ylw go together. i just need to know if/how i can jump just the blue wire somewhere since the ICM wire is obviously wrong...
Old 05-15-2008, 08:01 PM

Hmmm... Since you jus put a new harness in and now dats u gots fuel buts no spaark... n if i was u i'd check the thermostat ground...
Old 05-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (R_type)

grounds are fine...

here's a diagram of my dizzy plug. can somebody check if this is correct? where/how do i plug the extra blue tach signal in?

Old 05-16-2008, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dinko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> where/how do i plug the extra blue tach signal in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My research says NOWHERE. I just went through the entire Katman wiring thread and people just cap it off.

Since the OBD2b D16y8 harness doesn't have an engine speed output, the ECU must pull the information from one of the other sensors in the distributor. The ECU then sends it to the tach via the blue wire we are missing on the distributor harness.

Have you tried simply "un-T'ing" the blue wire?

One other question though, why did you decide to put the 8 pin plug on the distributor instead of putting the 10 pin plug on the harness? Since no B-series distributors ever came with the 8 pin plug, you're going to have to change the plug and time you need to change distributors, whereas the engine harness will hopefully never come off.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94CivicSi)

obd2b comes with an 8-wire dizzy plug from Honda. the bigger plug on my obd1 dizzy fits right into the plug on the harness. i didn't change anything on the harness except the injector clips and alternator plug. i believe only obd2a comes with the 10-wire harness plug and that's why people build/sell these distributor sub-harnesses. my obd1 dizzy plug had only 7 wires connected, and one empty spot for the black/yellow wire which mated up to black/yellow on the harness side. the blue tach wire i jumped into the yellow/green cuz that's what blown90hatch told me to do in another thread i made

i did try cutting the blue wire off, but car still wouldn't start. my friend said i might have fried the coil because the blue wire was jumped onto the yellow/green wire (ICM) which might cause this. i tried to get a friend's coil and igniter last night but his wasn't available.

i'm leaving everything as it is (with the blue wire cut) and trying a new coil + igniter. my other buddy is gonna come over in the next hour and we're gonna try the coil and igniter out of his Si to see if it will start.

i'll keep this thread updated. thanks for all the replys guys
Old 05-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the crazy thing is, only a few weeks ago i WAS getting spark, but the fuel injectors wouldn't spray any fuel. it turned out to be one wire i pulled out that went straight to the dizzy. at the time i was sure it was for something else, but i was wrong. that was the old harness though.

well after we connected that one wire (it was the white one) the injectors started to spray, but i lost spark. how [freak]in weird is that. only one wire changed!

i thought it was my harness cuz it was all hacked up so i bought a new one. i didn't touch this new one and i'm still having problems with no spark.

kinda crazy. i hope to get to the bottom of this soon.

Quick Reply: have fuel, but NO spark; no CEL; obd1 motor into obd2 chassis