Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

hatchback bad idea for silver state challenge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Botched thread poll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hatchback bad idea for silver state challenge?

in all seriousness, i want to know what some of you think about a civic in a high speed environment. not on the freeway weaving through traffic.
if you do not know about the silver state challenge, it takes place in nevada a few times a year, they shut down a 90 mile stretch of highway, divide it into 10mph segregated class's. the final class is 200+ mph where its an all out top speed race. search google, its on there.

anyhow, i am aware that a honda is far from the greatest top end car, but with my ek/h22 i'd like to compete in a mild 130 class or something. do you think with the right modifications the car would be stable enough to do this in a controlled environment? when i look at the car i am very iffy because it doesnt look like it has a design with good drag coeffeciency(sp?). where as my 2g eclipse had the drag close to the specs of a diablo. (believe it or not a saturn coupe falls into this category as well).
so?

Old 08-15-2004, 01:24 PM
non

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: hatchback bad idea for silver state challenge? (BIGBLOCKEK)

A couple years ago Top Fuel had a turbo H22 EK running 203 in japan - They also lost there drive Masao Saito when the car suddenly became airborne after achieving these speeds numerous times

130 is very basic as far as speed - The CTR's have been topped out in 5th as part of testing which I believe is 145 in order to design there body work

The car could easily compete in the 160 class mods like a roadracegear.com splitter and lowering the vehicle as far as possible with mirrors like the APR's or Craft Square ect will further reduce drag

Take some time an study the progressauto.com top bonneville civic for other ideas

One of the main problems with aero tuning for the silver state challenge is that the road has many undualtions which can turn flat bottom down force surfaces into slightly more broad lift surfaces

The car itself will be very stable when built right - even SCC was doing speeds in excess of 145 with there EG with no difficulities

The fastest I've ever been in a FWD car is the fuel cutoff on a stock LS trans Integra with stock diameter tires - I don't know how fast this is but the speedo needle was well beyond the 140 markings and going by rpm's alone should have been just over 160