Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Has this been done...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has this been done...

I was wondering if anyone has ever installed a remote ignition into a manual civic... I know, just waiting to get ripped off if someone finds your keys , but still... Anyone? If so, was it hard to install and what did it intale
... thanks
Old 01-24-2003, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Has this been done... (binkster)

remote ignition? You mean a remote starter?
Old 01-24-2003, 09:28 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Default Re: Has this been done... (sparq)

isnt that illegal?
Old 01-24-2003, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was wondering if anyone has ever installed a remote ignition into a manual civic... I know, just waiting to get ripped off if someone finds your keys , but still... Anyone? If so, was it hard to install and what did it intale
... thanks
first of all
YOUR keys are attached to the remote start.
The point of remote start won't matter, cuz if the thieve remote starts your car, HE already has your keys

Yes it can be done, but I think you will regret it when you leave your car in gear one day, go to remote start it and then watch your car get owned by a post because it tried to get moving when it was in gear.

[Modified by ransack, 11:13 PM 1/24/2003]
Old 01-25-2003, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Has this been done... (ransack)

it can be done, but I think you will regret it when you leave your car in gear one day, go to remote start it and then watch your car get owned by a post because it tried to get moving when it was in gear.

[Modified by ransack, 11:13 PM 1/24/2003]
yea i have seen that actually happen with a bmw 3 series. it was tragic to watch and all be cause he forgot he put it in gear. the front end was totalled. i highly suggest against it
Old 01-25-2003, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Has this been done... (delslow94)

All Compustar alarm/remote starters can be used with standard or auto. When you set your e-brake then turn you car off the car stays running till you shut the door. If you leave it in gear and you can pull that off I will give you props. If your doors are open after that it won't remote start. HTH
Old 01-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I *think* he means like a remote kill switch in order to shut the car off if stolen?

I don't really now what he means. If he means a remote starter to hit a button to start the car then yes it's been done a million times.

Funny thing is when people leave the car in first gear w/othe e-brake on and hit the start switch - can you say damage?

Old 01-25-2003, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Has this been done... (chrisr)

I wouldn't do it because one day U R gona leave UR car in gear and when U go to start UR car BAMMM there goes UR front end
Old 01-25-2003, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has this been done... (ransack)

Yes it can be done, but I think you will regret it when you leave your car in gear one day, go to remote start it and then watch your car get owned by a post because it tried to get moving when it was in gear.
i forget if i left the garage door open or not, what clothes i wore the day before, and what car i drove to school. a remote starter would OWN me 5 times a day.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:10 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Has this been done... (MonsterVTEC)

all the remote starters I've seen have certain "rules" in order to work. The car has to be in neutral and have the e brake up. If you're stupid enough to leave it in gear and then try the remote start, then you deserve the end.

I dunno about you, but I always leave my car in neutral and pull the e brake. Also, if a Honda starter had enough power to move your car fast enough WITH the e brake engaged, and move it fast enough to cause damage, then Honda gets a from me,
Old 01-25-2003, 11:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Has this been done... (Emerica)

what makes everyone think that an engine starter can more a car faster than an old granny on trainning wheels? ive done it a few times on purpose (*with my older paseo LOL) and it barely creeps, and thats with constant starting, those remote starters only engage the starter for like 1-2 seconds...that will only move a car forward like 1-2 feet if at all.

*why i way driving with a starter: ran out of gas one day, was too tired after pushing the car for 25 minutes, and got stuck on a little storm drain and had no momentum to push past it...so i put it in 1st and turned the key, got the car over the lump...and was on my was to pumping gas...those were the days LOL
Old 01-25-2003, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Has this been done... (Emerica)

Use springs to ground out the shifter so if its in gear it wont start. Ive done it.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Has this been done... (chrisr)

All Compustar alarm/remote starters can be used with standard or auto. When you set your e-brake then turn you car off the car stays running till you shut the door. If you leave it in gear and you can pull that off I will give you props. If your doors are open after that it won't remote start. HTH
yeah just what this guys says. you can't leave it in gear... it's not possible. the car runs even if you pulll the key out and doens't stop till you get out and shut the door. So there's no way to leave it in gear; unless you shut off the car and then get out, shut the door and then let the car turn off.
Then open it back up and put it in gear... but why the fudge wouldyou do that?

User: neonxrt on here has that alarm system in his car and it's manual, he's never had a problem.

Old 01-25-2003, 01:24 PM

I have had it on my civic for 2 years its great when its cold outside, press the button from inside and let it warm up and the e-brake has nothing to do with it.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its been done on civics.. and other cars with manual tranny also...
Old 01-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can do it on manual cars, but you need to bypass the cluch pedal switch...and if you leave the car in gear it will jump....it can be done just like in a automatic car...as far as it getting stolen theres a break kill switch you hook up that when ever you press the break and the car is remote started it will shut off the car, just put that on the clutch too.....no worries.....if you need to know what to buy get a Viper 551r it has a keyless entry integrated into the remote start....However you have to install it because DEI wont let certified installers do the work...I know this because I am one....so good luck
Old 01-25-2003, 04:05 PM
KURRRRWA

A friend of mine had remote start on his Si.... One day he left it in gear, and in his apartment, sat on the remote. Next thing he heard was tires screeching and a loud crash... his Si jumped into traffic and got hit by a pickup truck...
Old 01-25-2003, 04:17 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Default Re: Has this been done... (V8 Killa)

i got a question....is it even worth it? spend your money elsewhere like on an alarm or something useful....you dont need that crap...its not worth the risk imo...if you want to waste your money then go ahead you earned it
Old 01-25-2003, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: chillin in that city called queen creek, but homes the atl
Default Re: Has this been done... (CiRcUiTsi)

u guys are always so negative. i have a remote start on my civic only because it came with the alarm, but to keep it from starting when left in gear is to us a sensor that is wired to a relay that will not let the car start while in gear the sensor i user is basically the reverse light sensor
Old 01-25-2003, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has this been done... (streetdreams02)

i have it on my eg. its a stick also ...its cool when its cold and hot outside because you can have the heat or ac turned on....it is dangerous though if you leave it in gear though....you get pretty used to not leaving it in gear but its dangerous when you let friends borrow your car and they leave it in gear and you dont know it adn start the car...(ex) friend picked up his car from mechanic and busted his radiator when he remote started and had to leave it there....but if you engage the ebrake hard enough then the car wont really move that much. it only moves about 1 foot. its fun to start it ingear in an empty parking lot and just watch it drag along
Old 01-26-2003, 09:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Has this been done... (V8 Killa)

A friend of mine had remote start on his Si.... One day he left it in gear, and in his apartment, sat on the remote. Next thing he heard was tires screeching and a loud crash... his Si jumped into traffic and got hit by a pickup truck...
Screech? it was probably the truck's tires that made the sound...if you remote start a manual with the parking brake up, it will just stall and rock back and fourth...its not gonna take off like a drag race.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

compustar and those aladdin alarms have remote start where you have to put it out of gear, and get out of the car, and close the door, and put the ebrake up before the engine shuts off.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Has this been done... (tominos)

fuel cut off switch