Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Has anyone try to wash their oem carpet on a washer.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone try to wash their oem carpet on a washer.

Just like tittle states, Has anyone wash their OEM Carpet on a washer machine, and I'm talkint industrial washer machine. You see I work at a Hospital which has a laundry department with a bunch of huge state of the art washer and dryer machine, and they wash everything in there. You just have to press some codes and let the machine know what is being clean and that is it.
I know it sounds stupid but I know that they clean those big hourse blankets. So my cars carpet should be a walk in the park in comparison.

Let me know what you guys think, by the way my rug is already out of the car.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Has anyone try to wash their oem carpet on a washer. (Boricuanology)

You could be the first to try!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone try to wash their oem carpet on a washer. (Boricuanology)

Have fun taking it off the car first.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:44 PM

I can't see this working out badly in any way. I say go for it...and let us know how it worked out. You should actually get pretty decent results!

Since you have access to this machine, you should start up a little business haha. Have people send you thier carpets and 20 bucks and you'll return thier carpets in beautifully washed condition. Probably works better than getting them shampooed @ a detail place, and MUCH cheaper.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

P.S. How do you plan to dry it?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone try to wash their oem carpet on a washer. (EL Vap133)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EL Vap133 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have fun taking it off the car first. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is out of the car already, the black one that is. But I feel like trying on the blue one when I take it out of the car. if that one gets damage, not big deal.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EL Vap133 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">P.S. How do you plan to dry it? </TD></TR></TABLE>

The industrial dryer thats right next to the industrial washing machine, haha.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can't see this working out badly in any way. I say go for it...and let us know how it worked out. You should actually get pretty decent results!

Since you have access to this machine, you should start up a little business haha. Have people send you thier carpets and 20 bucks and you'll return thier carpets in beautifully washed condition. Probably works better than getting them shampooed @ a detail place, and MUCH cheaper. </TD></TR></TABLE>

But I have to see if it actually works first. By the way I think my brother is gonna do it first After all he is the supervisor and he is the one with the keys to the laundry anyway so if I don't like the results then I won't do mines But I will let you guys know.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone try to wash their oem carpet on a washer. (I Shot 50 Cent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The industrial dryer thats right next to the industrial washing machine, haha. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Noup! I'm afraid that the carpet might come out looking like a hand sizes towel, plus the rug has some parts that are actually rubber and I don't want the heat to damage it. So I just gonna take it to the garage or my basement and let it air dry.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boricuanology &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Noup! I'm afraid that the carpet might come out looking like a hand sizes towel, plus the rug has some parts that are actually rubber and I don't want the heat to damage it. So I just gonna take it to the garage or my basement and let it air dry.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I didnt think about shrinkage. You may be much safer doing what you said and letting it air dry. As long as it does it quickly so it doesnt smell like mildew. But i'm sure you got it under control. Good luck man
Old 01-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boricuanology &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Noup! I'm afraid that the carpet might come out looking like a hand sizes towel, plus the rug has some parts that are actually rubber and I don't want the heat to damage it. So I just gonna take it to the garage or my basement and let it air dry.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Spray some Fabreeze on it so it doesn't get that damp smell.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:47 PM

if your going to air dry it... you need a nice warm/hot sunny and dry day... and some fans..if you live in a desert your in luck..

do not dry it in the basement... cause it won't dry...unless your basement is heated...to an insane temperature.. and has exhaust fans to remove the humidity created by the drying carpet...

try and keep the drying above ground...with lots of air moving around it...
Old 01-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I probably gonna take it to the garage hang it from the cealing and put some fans to dry it as soon as possible. if not Im just gonna wait till is better outside and just hang it over the fence .
Old 01-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just rent a stim cleaner.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (sky9)

wet/dry shop vac + oxy clean granules
Old 01-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know about all those procedures, Im a floor care at my job, everything from striping and waxing to clean a carpet with a shampooer. But I think that cleaning it on the washer will be the best way of go, I will make sure I spray the really bad areas with some special cleaner and if everything is alright and only if is necesary, I will wash it a few times if I have too.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really do not see this working out well.
If these "industrial" washers are anything like household machines, its probably going to tear it up.

Plus...
Washing machines are generally used on thinner fabrics, where the water and soap can flow through the materials.
Carpeting, is really quite thick, backing aside, and I cant see anything flowing through it very easily, to loosen particals.

Im sure you would be much better off, (both in the safety of the carpet AND cleanliness) if you were to just use a carpet extractor (steam-type w/ firm bristles).

I have done many, many floors in my life...this is coming from experience.
Ive done it all...
Extracting, shampooing, laying carpet
Stripping, waxing, buffing, glazing, burnishing, installing tile/laminate
Old 01-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sky9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just rent a stim cleaner.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wet/dry shop vac + oxy clean granules</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2. Won't the washer ruin the overall shape of the molded carpet since its going to have to be packed in?
Old 01-18-2007, 02:58 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The washer will ruin the carpet shape, and the dryer might warp or melt the synthetic fibers.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

My brother says that he probably do it first, LOL I told him to go ahead but I happend to have an extra carpet that I can use as an experiment to see how everything goes. I will use the machine in a set up that is not to radical just in case. I gonna make sure that it is spray in areas where it need it the most. I'M NOT USING THE DRYER, i will dry it out side when it gets better so I most likely will do this on spring time. About the washer not being able to clean the carpet? You guys should see the stuff that is wash in there, my carpet should be super easy in comparison.
Is just an experiment, I will like to know if it works, that way I can tell others, to do it or not to do it, Im sacrificing myself for everyone here at Honda-tech, whish me good luck! I wll post pictures of the result if I can, before and after. LOL
Old 01-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Boricuanology)

You might be better off using the dryer if it has a setting that has no or very low heat. That would remove the moisture and not cause it to get too hot.

Also, there are usually some plastic pieces attached to the carpet around the door area... you'll probably want to remove them before washing it.

Good luck.