Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Has anyone really done this or did you guys all just hear about doing it???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone really done this or did you guys all just hear about doing it???

I'm serious. I want some feedback on people who truely have exerience with this. I really want to swap a 5 speed into my Civic but I cannot find instructions, a FULL parts list, cost, or length of time it takes to complete. I got quoted at $2,000 for labor from IMPO and thats bull, I would never pay that much. Can someone please give me some insight or help? And I don't want to just buy a new car that has a manual trans already installed because I just got a new paint job and I really like my car so that is out of the question. Thanks in advance.

Everyone always says that I need new shift linkage, rear trans mount (from a manual), pedal assembly, and a new ECU. But I know that cannot be all that I need.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone really done this or did you guys all just hear about doing it??? (MyWhiteCivic)

I'm serious. I want some feedback on people who truely have exerience with this. I really want to swap a 5 speed into my Civic but I cannot find instructions, a FULL parts list, cost, or length of time it takes to complete. I got quoted at $2,000 for labor from IMPO and thats bull, I would never pay that much. Can someone please give me some insight or help? And I don't want to just buy a new car that has a manual trans already installed because I just got a new paint job and I really like my car so that is out of the question. Thanks in advance.

Everyone always says that I need new shift linkage, rear trans mount (from a manual), pedal assembly, and a new ECU. But I know that cannot be all that I need.

You will need to get the manual master cylinder and all hardlines/ pedal assembly and the clutch slave cylinders. Its a pain in the butt if you do it while the engine its inside the car but if you are swapping the engine then its easier to do it while the engine is out naturally.

BTW the lowest I found for an auto to manual conversion is about $1500.00 NOT INCLUDING PARTS. Its not an easy task but can be accomplished.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone really done this or did you guys all just hear about doing it??? (Alberto)

Do you know an approximate cost for the parts?
Old 08-28-2002, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone really done this or did you guys all just hear about doing it??? (MyWhiteCivic)

You also need to weld on a manual trans mount braket. And cut a hole in the floor for the shifter and weld up the old hole. There is also some rewiring to do.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:44 PM

hey bro
i went from automatic to manual like 3 months ago. You need the ecu linkage the master cylinder you will need a line (i used brake line) to run from master cylinder to slvae cylinder. You will need the pedals from a manual unless you do what i did i moved the clutch pedal over and welded it so i have the automatic brake and clutch, and thats really it. Have patience, trust me.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Has anyone really done this or did you guys all just hear about doing it??? (4doorJDMcivic)

hey the guy above me has his Hatch as hatch of the month on CivicHatch.com
Old 08-28-2002, 07:37 PM

My friend got his automatic accord switched to manual when he put in a prelude motor I'll get with the guy who did his and post the ino on it for ya man.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Has anyone really done this or did you guys all just hear about doing it??? (EGstreetcar)

i know it will hurt but just part with your car but purchase the same model but 5 speed. you might even make some money out of the deal. its alot less work and you know all the parts are there
Old 08-28-2002, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Has anyone really done this or did you guys all just hear about doing it??? (nijia555)

when i did the swap i got the manual motor. The welding on the interior was the hardest part, i would be easier to get a whole new car but it is hard to let go of what you have, go to http://www.d-a-p.com they are very good and reasonable. I used them for my clutch pedal aseembly and for my master cylinder. Good luck
Old 08-29-2002, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone really done this or did you guys all just hear about doing it??? (4doorJDMcivic)

nijia555, I was despertly trying to avoid that because I like my car and I want to keep it but I also want a 5 speed. I think I will try swapping the trans myself. I just need some more direction.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you really dont need to worry about welding the interior to fit the shifter, the one hole in the floor is exactly where you need it, its just too big, i found a thick piece of aluminum and cut it to fit over both holes and i cut a new, smaller hole in the alum for the shifter to go through, i then used high temp rtv sealant to seal the piece in place and then used rivits to fasten it down, i then sealed the dust boot from the shifter to the alum with the rtv and used rivits with washers to hold it in place

if you have any mechanical knowledge try and do it your self, that will be the best way to save alot of money

also from what i have heard of impo, unless you are friends with them, they will rip you off and do a halfassed job

[Modified by bikeboy80, 11:00 AM 8/29/2002]
Old 08-29-2002, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone really done this or did you guys all just hear about doing it??? (bikeboy80)

Since the owners of IMPO got sponsored, they have become real ********. They won't help you with anything anymore.