Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Has anyone ever changed out ther expansion valve?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever changed out ther expansion valve?

Im asking because i just got my freon exchanged and they said therews no leaks but my a/c after a couple of days started not blowing out as cool as it used to be everything is working but both lines high and low side are extremely hot and a buddy of mine at work said it sounds like the expansion valve is stuck. Im not real good with a/c systems, i understand how they work and i checked all of the relays and the low pressure switch, the compressor cycles on and off correctly im guessing but no cold air. Any help would be appreciated. Oh yeah its a 95 ex,, d16z6. thanks again
Old 06-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone ever changed out ther expansion valve? (88turdbucket)

before you go too far, hook up a manifold set and look at high and low side pressures. if the exp valve is in fact clogged, they should be equal, or the high side will not rise as the low side goes into vacuum.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone ever changed out ther expansion valve? (boostedcivicsir)

stat with the simple stuff first. the valve is under the passenger side dash. it is not a hard job just time consuming.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Has anyone ever changed out ther expansion valve? (tortis)

sorry to hijack, but I am trying to replace my expansion valve today and I am looking under my '94 eg hatch dash right now and holy ****!! I'm not sure where or what to start taking off, any direction on what to take apart? I can see a couple 10mm bolts here and there and a bunch of clip things holding the lower part of a plastic housing on......
Old 06-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone ever changed out ther expansion valve? (guyseroni)

yeah, i'll try to make it quick and easy. and for the OP, here's what to do if you find it is your exp. valve.

1) gotta get the freon pulled out.

2) you'll need to take the battery and battery tray out under the hood. under the tray are the connections for the evaporator. there are specially made a/c line wrenches but you should be fine as long as you have the right size. be very careful!! the lines and line nuts are aluminum and are easy to damage.

3)under the dash: pull the glove box out (and frame that holds the box). there's at least one 2 or 3 pin connector on the evap housing to disconnect. everything is 10mm, i like a 1/4" wrachet with two diff. length extensions. (it's been a couple months since i've done one.... i think four bolts hold it to the backside of the firewall, and four maybe hold it to the rest of the air handler box.)

4) there's a drain hose at the bottom of the evap box. it pulls loose pretty easy, then the whole thing should be free to come out.

5) once the box is out you've got a few clips and philips heads to get loose and the box comes off the evap core. it's pretty clear from there.
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-24-2008, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Has anyone ever changed out ther expansion valve? (boostedcivicsir)

Hey Mark,

I was reading your reply to the expansion valve question because I thoought I needed to change mine also. I noticed you said that if your TXV is bad the High and low side pressure would be equal. Mine are not I get 170 psi high and 25 or so Low. I have already replaced the compressor because it had crack, and I put a vaccum on it and recharged the system with 134a, and still no cold Air? Any Idea what i could check next?

Here is what I have done.

1.bought the car and tried the A/C and it blew warm air.
2. tried to charge the sytem and the charge blew right out the compressor?
3 replaced the compressor, vaccumed, and recharged?

still have no cold air? any Ideas?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone ever changed out ther expansion valve? (mchristian23)

always check the blend door. this is adjustable and the adjustment cable can slip over time. when it slips, you could be bleeding air from the heater core into your cold airflow. this will only make your air not cold enough though... important to check though.

to adjust it you have to disconnect the cable at the heater valve behind the transmission on the firewall.

then you have to crawl under the dash and remove the cover over the cable and blend door lever. it should be all the way to one direction when the temp slider is on cold, and the other when on hot.