Harsh vibration sound when revving engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harsh vibration sound when revving engine

2000 DX HB
B18a swap

After I did my swap my car became very loud. It sounds like a very loud vibration, but honestly I don't really feel anything, just lots of noise. The car puts out a very loud deep buzzing sound as I either rev the engine while sitting or while I'm accelerating (always obnoxious, but becomes more obnoxious as rpm's increase). No vibration sound at idle, smooth as can be. No metal rattling sounds, just sounds as if the engine is extremely loud in general or something is vibrating like crazy all the time as I'm driving. It is throughout the entire car, so it's difficult for me to pin point an exact spot

I suspected either my mounts were bad, or the bolts were loose. Today I replaced the front two top mounts (drivers side engine mount and tranny mount) with brand new AZ Race & Machine mounts. The mounts I had were OEM. The noise still exists. I checked the rear mount to see if all the bolts were tight and inspected the mount as best as I could, looked fine to me. I didn't change the rear mount today because I don't have an impact and it was difficult to get the main bolt loose.

When we did the swap, the exhaust was about half an inch too short, so I pushed on the rear of the exhaust while someone else bolted it to the exhaust manifold. Could the tightness of the exhaust be causing my entire car to vibrate? Also, since it's a swapped DX there is no cat now, nor is there any type of flex pipe. Could this potentially be my problem? I would think the rubber hangers or the engine mounts would absorb any major vibration like that, but I could be wrong.

To add to the mystery, when I am making left hand turns, and ONLY left hand turns, the car sounds amazingly smooth and normal as I'm turning and immediatly resumes as I straighten the car back to normal. Keep in mind that the vibration occurs at a stop while revving also. It just for some reason goes away as I make left hand turns.

Ideas? I'm lost.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: Harsh Vibration Sound

Did you remove the exhaust heat shields?

My guess would be the exhaust system, as you already seem to suspect.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Harsh vibration sound when revving engine

Yeah, the exhaust heat shields have been removed. I'll have to take it to an exhaust shop to have it checked out.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:08 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Harsh vibration sound when revving engine

I feel like you answered it when you said you made left turns only and it sounded bad. Really sounds like a bearing in a wheel