Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

harnesses are less safe than regular safety belts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default harnesses are less safe than regular safety belts?

Well I had considered getting some 4 point harnesses for my car....but one of my friends was telling me that they'd be essentially worse for me in a crash than a regular seatbelt. He said that with a normal seatbelt, if you rolled the car, you could crouch lower just by natural instinct, but the harnesses willl restrict this movement and would be more of a hazard than a help. Any comments or advice on this?
Old 12-16-2002, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: harnesses are less safe than regular safety belts? (eg2turbo)

Well, maybe in a roll. The harness will keep your upper body stationary, so if the roof collapses enough, you could break your neck. A regular belt would allow your upper body to flex in order avoid some of the impact. However, a properly installed harness can save you in other ways. If your car does not have an airbag, a harness would keep you from hitting the steering column in a crash. Your body would absorb more of the impact since it is being held in place, but would keep you from flying out the windshield, hitting the steering wheel, etc.

Things to remember are that a harness would need to be replaced if you were ever involved in a crash. They aren't designed to be reused. And, for proper installation, they need to be as close to perpendicular to your body. This is why they should be installed on a harness bar attached to a cage. If they are installed on the floor, you could possibly compress your spine in a bad accident.

I will be using harnesses at least when i'm on the track once I get my Cusco cage installed.

B96v6
Old 12-16-2002, 12:20 PM

Default Re: harnesses are less safe than regular safety belts? (B96v6)

thanks for the info, it cleared some thing up for me
Old 12-16-2002, 12:38 PM
KURRRRWA

Unless you have a professional harness bolted to a cage, then it is considered to be dangerous in an accident. In a crash, the rear 2 bolt will rip right out.

I rock a Sparco 4 point harness, but only use it for track events. I use my regular belt on the streets. I know 2 other people that do it this way, also. All a cheap Sparco is made for is to hold you in on turns, not to save your life in a crash.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:56 PM

Default Re: harnesses are less safe than regular safety belts? (SD99Si)

wait...what two bolts rip out with a 4pt?
are you taping the bolts down??
cause if you're using the factory seatbelt anchor bolt hols...those bots won't rip off.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: harnesses are less safe than regular safety belts? (SD99Si)

Unless you have a professional harness bolted to a cage, then it is considered to be dangerous in an accident. In a crash, the rear 2 bolt will rip right out.

I rock a Sparco 4 point harness, but only use it for track events. I use my regular belt on the streets. I know 2 other people that do it this way, also. All a cheap Sparco is made for is to hold you in on turns, not to save your life in a crash.
Ok so does this mean that since you are using the stock rear seatbelt locations to mount the 2 straps of your harness that Honda designed the the car so the rear occupants die in an accident? Umm hell no. Plus if Sparco designed the belt to hold you in in the turns they wouldn't put their name on it and call it a racing harness. You should check your facts before you post. You might also want to say them out loud to see if they sound stupid before you post them.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:08 PM

Default Re: harnesses are less safe than regular safety belts? (JRSC EM1)

ah ha haha hahaha
oohhh...the last line got me...sorry.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: harnesses are less safe than regular safety belts? (JRSC EM1)

Ok so does this mean that since you are using the stock rear seatbelt locations to mount the 2 straps of your harness that Honda designed the the car so the rear occupants die in an accident? Umm hell no. Plus if Sparco designed the belt to hold you in in the turns they wouldn't put their name on it and call it a racing harness. You should check your facts before you post. You might also want to say them out loud to see if they sound stupid before you post them.
UH i think you need to check your facts there, sparco designed that harness to hold you in place while racing. race cars have cages. without a cage and using a harness you could DIE IN AN ACCIDENT.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:10 PM

Default Re: harnesses are less safe than regular safety belts? (Kamin)

how do you die if the belt mounts to the car vs the cage?
forgetting the rollover, cause that wasn't in the question....how does a sparco kill you if it isn't on the cage?
does it unbuckle itself, wrap around your neck and squeeze?
or is it something less feasable?
Old 12-16-2002, 02:12 PM

so basically im getting the idea that harnesses for daily driving = unless Im using a cage or harness bar?
Old 12-16-2002, 02:15 PM

grey area...if you flip your car, then you MAY have to worry.
you would have to accelerate the car off of a higher altitude like a cliff for your roof to fully cave in.
your roof will support 2x the weight of your vehicle. but if your driver's side roof collapses you may be safer with a factory seatbelt.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so basically im getting the idea that harnesses for daily driving = unless Im using a cage or harness bar?
yes.
i know people that have full out racecars daily driven and they use seatbelts on the street

and the harness wont kill you on the track, that was never the issue. its on the street or using it without a cage.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: harnesses are less safe than regular safety belts? (n1ek)

grey area...if you flip your car, then you MAY have to worry.
you would have to accelerate the car off of a higher altitude like a cliff for your roof to fully cave in.
your roof will support 2x the weight of your vehicle. but if your driver's side roof collapses you may be safer with a factory seatbelt.
dude WHAT?
the roof does NOT support 2x the cars weight
who told you that?
it only takes 6 inches for the roof to crush your head in a rollover dude
Old 12-16-2002, 02:18 PM

I see your point then....i think im just a big wussy though. When I rode with my tuner the other day, it was only hittin about 1 bar of boost and I didnt feel safe with the stock belt....I guess thats just me.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:19 PM

the roof does NOT support 2x the cars weight
who told you that?
it only takes 6 inches for the roof to crush your head in a rollover dude
the national highway safety ***. told me...who told YOU?
or did you just guess?

[Modified by n1ek, 11:20 PM 12/16/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the national highway safety ***. told me...who told YOU?
or did you just guess?
haha oook dude if you say so
a roof will not hold 2x the cars weight.
it wont totally collapse under a slow rollover but it WILL buckle a significant amount.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:24 PM

you're right it only holds 1.5x its weight...my bad.

"Since inception, the roof crush standard has been amended, extending its requirements to passenger cars, trucks, buses, and multipurpose passenger vehicles with a GVWR of 2722 kilograms (6000 pounds) or less (55 FR 15510, April 17, 1991). The standard was also amended to modify the test device placement procedure to accommodate vehicles with raised and highly sloped (aerodynamic) roof structures (64 FR 22567, April 27, 1999).

The test procedure currently used to evaluate compliance with the standard involves securing a vehicle on a rigid horizontal surface, placing a flat steel rectangular plate on the vehicle's roof, and using the plate to apply 1.5 times the unloaded weight of the vehicle (up to a maximum of 22,240 N, or 5,000 pounds, for passenger cars) onto the roof structure. During the test, the plate is angled and positioned to simulate vehicle-to-ground contact on the roof over the front seat area. (1) To achieve this contact, the plate is tilted forward at a 5-degree angle, along its longitudinal axis, and tilted outward at a 25-degree angle, along it lateral axis, so that the plate's outboard side is lower than its inboard side. The test plate's edges are also positioned with respect to fixed locations on the vehicle's roof, depending upon the roof slope, to ensure that the plate stresses the roof over the front seat area."

Old 12-16-2002, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

even with that it will crush enough to kill you if your wearing a harness. because you cant move to avoid the roof.
like i said go ask in the RR/autox forum.
they love these questions...
Old 12-16-2002, 02:27 PM

if its mandated to only crush less than 5 inches i don't see how thats an issue for most driver's.

and quit trying to fall back on your other forum buddies...try to handle this yourself. unless you can't?
Old 12-16-2002, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if its mandated to only crush less than 5 inches i don't see how thats an issue for most driver's.

and quit trying to fall back on your other forum buddies...try to handle this yourself. unless you can't?
no im just sick of answering this stupid *** question
what dont you understand?
ITS NOT SAFE WITHOUT A ROLLBAR!
stock seatbelts allow you to tuck in if you rollover in an accident
a 4 point harness wont
the ONLY harness that will is a 3point.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=331038

[Modified by Kamin, 3:45 PM 12/16/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want harnesses so bad get em- the main arguement ppl use is the rollover thing, but if you were in a rollover while thats happening I think the last thing on your mind would be to "crouch down"
Old 12-16-2002, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: harnesses are less safe than regular safety belts? (WR93EG)

that explain it enough?
how about i post the info in here for everyone else?
RUTHLESSLY GANKED FROM DREW M

I am not going to even waste my time reading this whole thread because I see a shitload of uneducated idiots who are talking out there asses.

Here is the deal and this comes from studies done on crash data from racing accidents that were studied by people with years of experience in racing, engineering and trauma medicine. Take my word for it - or don't. I don't really care. Just know that I trust these people's advice a lot more than I trust what comes out of the mouth of some stunna on Honda-Tech whose idea of competition is fist fighting for the 15 year old **** hanging out at the Stop & Go.

Before we get started on the tech info let me explain that a rollbar is not a rollcage. The 2 are NOT the same thing. A rollbar is 4-6 mounting points but the roof support stops behind the driver/passenger seats.

4-Point Rollbar (Not a rollcage):

6-Point Rollbar (Still not a rollcage):

A rollcage has roof support that extends to the front of the passenger compartment and around the front of it.

6-Point Rollcage:

Harness Without Rollover Protection:
A harness without some form of rollover protection can be deadly - very easily. A harness holds you firmly upright in your seat and it is DESIGNED to keep you in place, not letting you slide down. This trait is precisely what can kill you. If you roll your car and the roof comes down the harness will keep you upright and the collapsing roof will break your neck. The stock belts will allow the roof to push/slide you down in the seat. This gives you the room and give necessary to keep your neck from being snapped. If you plan on using a harness on the street for daily driving then GET some kind of rollover protection. If you drive regularly on the street stay away from a rollcage ("Why" is answered below) and just get a rollbar. Autocrossing in a harness IMO is dumb as well BUT it is a much more controlled enviornment than the street is and you will probably be ok with a harness and no rollover protection. Also - *many* organizations will not let you drive on track wearing a harness without rollover protection. This includes HPDEs and Lapping Days.

Rollbar/Cage In A Street Car:
If you drive your car on the street and don't want to wear a helmet everywhere you go then stay away from a cage and get a bar. Whoever said "pad it and you will be fine" is a complete ***-licking fucktard swamp donkey who doesn't know ****. First of all - bare head + steel tubing = cracked skull. Very simple to understand. In a crash you will have 2 impacts. The first is with whatever you hit and the second is between your body and the various parts of your interior (steering wheel, windshield, door, etc). Having those tubes around your head just gives you a nice firm object to hit and kill yourself on. If you daily drive your car then get a 4-point rollbar which will remain behind your head at all times.

Now on to the padding. Rollbar padding is pretty much useless against the typical forces in an impact. People get knocked unconscious all the time in accidents when their HELMET-COVERED heads hit PADDED rollcages. Even the good SFI padding is only marginally effective against crash forces. Let me take a piece of SFI padding and take a swing at the assclown who thinks padding will help. I GUARANTEE you that I will knock him out with it. SFI padding is hard as hell and I know I can't swing with the force of a 50MPH impact. If I can knock him out with it what do you think it will do to your head in a crash?

Harness 4pt vs. 5pt. vs 6pt:
STAY THE **** away from a 4-point unless the idea of broken ribs and a crushed pelvis appeals to you. In an impact a 4-point will ride up your torso and break all kinds of **** in your chest area and upper abdomen region. NO organizations allow them on track for either racing or HPDE/Lapping Days.

5-points are good and they do their job. The key is to make sure that the sub belt comes through the seat BEHIND where the latch will be sitting when you wear the belt. Certainly not all cars/configurations will allow this arrangement and it isn't the end of the world. Having the sub in front of the latch however will cause the sub to loosen as your body pushes forward in an impact. The sub will eventually tighten however, and prevent the lapbelt from riding too far up - but it still loosens briefly which will allow your body to gain more momentum before it is snapped/grabbed by the harness.

The 6-point is the best option as it takes the sub and splits it off to the left and right. This spreads the force over a larger area and prevents more movement than a single sub strap will.

Race Seat vs. Stock Seat w/Harness:
This one is open to more interpretation. Here is what I know however: If you get a deep bucket race seat (ie: a non-reclining type) then you will need harnesses because the seat is simply too deep for the stock belts to be real effective in a crash. Certainly there is no reason why you can't use a harness with a stock seat however. Also keep in mind that a race seat offers NO protection from a collapsing roof. It is not designed to. Its purpose is to give your back a solid, flat surface to be held up against butit will not hold a crushing downward force from above.

Here is the PROPER way to mount a harness system per the FIA - whose safety standards end up carrying over into just about every other motorsports organization except the NHRA and NASSCAR:

That is the facts. Take it or leave it.
Yes, please find me a pic of a 94-97 Acura Integra 4-door FLIPPED OVER with the roof crushed to extent that the driver's head would be crushed. Please.How about a BMW M3? We all know they are much more solidly-engineered than any Honda product.

FYI - Neither the driver or instructor were wearing race harnesses and they both walked away. If they had harnesses on they would both be dead. I know both the driver and instructor personally and have spoken to them about the crash.

How about a Mustang?

Once again, the driver and instructor both walked away with nothing more than a broken leg and broken feet. The use of factory belts saved their lives. The driver was pinned on top of the instructor, who was wedged down in the footwell under the dash but they survived. Had they been wearing harnesses both of their heads would be in their lower backs now.
heres some more

Hi all. I just HAD to register and post on this one.

Drew M is abso-*******-lutely correct on this one. The sheer ignorance and insolence of NOINTEGreddy is astounding. Racing harnesses are not even the remotest of necessities when driving on the street. If they were, doesn't it stand to reason that manufacturers would have incorporated them into the initial design of the the car? If you're even considering installing harnesses without a bar, using them on the street, or settling for less than a 5-point design please read Drew M's post then re-read it.

I managed to locate these pictures of rolled Hondas on images.google.com:

think your harness is safe without a cage now?
Old 12-16-2002, 02:53 PM

yay, show me a thread were other people agree with you.
good arguement...couldn't come up with one yourself?
Old 12-16-2002, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yay, show me a thread were other people agree with you.
good arguement...couldn't come up with one yourself?
your a ******* idiot
im done with you newbie.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:06 PM

4 pics of smashed cars won't scare me....
however drew's whole rant should be read by everyone.
i don't agree with it all of it. but it is well written and alot of it is true.
like i said, think for youself.....search the nhtsa pages and find out that these cars can withstand alot.....like i said earlier always roll a cage on the open track. on the auto-x the speeds are low enough to not roll that bad boy. on the street, make the call...if the stock seatbelt allows you to move down in a rollover what moves you down..the roof as it hits your head?

Quick Reply: harnesses are less safe than regular safety belts?