Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

harmonic balencer crank pulley??????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default harmonic balencer crank pulley??????????

i got a 93 civic with a b18b swap my harmonic balencer as a chunk out of it its the side wall part in the front (when ur looking at it from on the motor its about inch 1/2 long by 1cm or 2 will anything happen to my motor if i dont replace it? the belt satys on it. also if i was to change it would it would it become out of time i no theres a gear behind it if i was to just hook the puller to the pulley would i be alright? need to no
Old 05-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: harmonic balencer crank pulley?????????? (dsmarefaster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dsmarefaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got a 93 civic with a b18b swap my harmonic balencer as a chunk out of it its the side wall part in the front (when ur looking at it from on the motor its about inch 1/2 long by 1cm or 2 will anything happen to my motor if i dont replace it? the belt satys on it. also if i was to change it would it would it become out of time i no theres a gear behind it if i was to just hook the puller to the pulley would i be alright? need to no </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not quite sure what you're asking...

clean up your sentance so it makes more sense...

Basically if there's ANY material missing from your crank pulley you want to change it... it is a balanced piece so you risk premature bearing wear and if the chunk missing is anywhere near a belt you risk cutting a belt...

Old 05-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: harmonic balencer crank pulley?????????? (NonovUrbizniz)

Also not sure what you're saying..........

But if you look at the name of the pulley, it's a "harmonic balancer" if it has a chunk missing then it isn't balanced anymore and you risk damage to your bearings.

You do need to change that, and for the love of god, don't get an aftermarket one, they are not always balanced perfectly either.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: harmonic balencer crank pulley?????????? (dsmarefaster)

Also confused.

Yes you NEED to change it, its not a matter of wanting really. That pulley like all pulleys are balanced by having it slightly off will really shake your motor up at higher rpms.

Think of the motor with a counterweight on it from a pager. When the motor turns the whole thing vibrates right? well the same thing is going to happen to your motor in a sense. Not as bad but the same effect.

Its called the harmonic dampener pulley because it balances the weight between the flywheel and that pulley so that shaft is balanced end to end. That's why its so heavy and one more way it will throw your weight off causing you MAJOR problems in the near future.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: harmonic balencer crank pulley?????????? (nocturnaldragon)

Misbalanced or out of balance rotating assemblies produce premature wear on bearings - both rod and main - and will eventually destroy your motor.