Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

hard shifting into gears most of the times.. already searched

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard shifting into gears most of the times.. already searched

i have a hard time shifting into all gears. it feels ruff or choppy when i shift. once in a while, i could put it into first and pull to neutral and pop back into first and it'll shift in like butter. but then next time i come to a stop its choppy going into first again. i converted my auto to a manual and i'm using gm syncromesh fluid and the shifter is a neuspeed short shifter. its been like 800 miles so far, and i never drove it with honda fluid or stock shifter so i'm not sure if one of those are responsible for the choppy shifting. what would the es shifter bushing do for me. its cheap, should i pick it up?

TIA
-brian
Old 09-29-2004, 03:34 PM

Default Re: hard shifting into gears most of the times.. already searched (lazyassbrian)

When you put in a short shifter the response gets really tight. It will take a while to break in and then it will (should) feel normal. If you can pick up some new brushings for cheap you might as well, the better, the smoother the shift. Hope that helps
Old 09-29-2004, 08:47 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: hard shifting into gears most of the times.. already searched (lazyassbrian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazyassbrian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a hard time shifting into all gears. it feels ruff or choppy when i shift. once in a while, i could put it into first and pull to neutral and pop back into first and it'll shift in like butter. but then next time i come to a stop its choppy going into first again. i converted my auto to a manual and i'm using gm syncromesh fluid and the shifter is a neuspeed short shifter. its been like 800 miles so far, and i never drove it with honda fluid or stock shifter so i'm not sure if one of those are responsible for the choppy shifting. what would the es shifter bushing do for me. its cheap, should i pick it up?

TIA
-brian</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd say that either your shift linkage is a little messed up from your conversion or you need a new clutch. Could be a damaged or malfunctioning pressure plate or even the release bearing. Good way to tell if it is the clutch is wait till you're having trouble shifting into any gear, shut the car off and see if it still has trouble going in. If it goes in easily, it's a clutch problem, if it's the same, it's a linkage problem.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:37 AM

Default Re: hard shifting into gears most of the times.. already searched (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'd say that either your shift linkage is a little messed up from your conversion or you need a new clutch. Could be a damaged or malfunctioning pressure plate or even the release bearing. Good way to tell if it is the clutch is wait till you're having trouble shifting into any gear, shut the car off and see if it still has trouble going in. If it goes in easily, it's a clutch problem, if it's the same, it's a linkage problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-30-2004, 07:37 AM

Default Re: hard shifting into gears most of the times.. already searched (JinDIESEL)

damn, i hope its not the clutch. its a new clutchmasters stage 1 clutch and a lightened flywheel. it'll be better is its the linkage cause i have another one laying around i'll check it later
Old 09-30-2004, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your tranny fluid and clutch reservoir levels. It's possible that you might have some air in the clutch line, you might want to re-bleed the system.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:46 AM

Default Re: hard shifting into gears most of the times.. already searched (VTECVillain)

i'm gonna do that to, i did do it myself, so it might not be done that well anything but buying a new clutch and dropping the tranny again