Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

handling problem

Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default handling problem

Okay, so I can build and engine, and fix them like there is no tomorrow, but when it comes to handling, steering, and suspension, I'm not the king of kings.

Basically, I drive fast, like many others. I've started to notice more and more of a drop in handling. Basically, A corner I used to take at 40, now causes my car to drift @ 40mph (front end, not rear). I used to take it about 60 and let the rear drift, counter steer and just cruise like nothing, but now the front is losing grip, and I don't like it. Once I took a corner at my normal "fast" pace and when my rear kicked out, the counter steer did nothing at all, which is peculiar. When I finally corrected the drift, I ended up straight, and as I wanted to change lanes, I felt the steering really loose. Its back to normal tension since then.

I am all into "the feel of the car" and it feels like my front tires are just losing grip. NO, they are NOT bald. I've only had the tires for less than 10k miles, so they are still very close to brand new. Each day I notice turning gets harder, not like slip, just in grip.

My question would be, what would cause my steering to get worse and worse each day?

I know my lower ball joints are completely crushed, and I plan to get some nice buddy club extended ball joints, BUT, if it worked before while they were destroyed, why would that cause the problem. I plan to get them replaced no matter what (drive way job yay). Anything else I should take a gander at while I'm down there?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: handling problem

Look at tie rod ends, upper ball joints, upper control arm bushings, and all the other bushings for that matter.

Also, just look at the rear. If nothing else, it's a good time to.

When you do ball joints, borrow the tool and Honda adapters from Autozone (free as long as you bring the tools back) and use an impact wrench to tighten the tool to press the old joint out and new one in. Trust me, buy one, borrow one or get a friend with one to help you. It makes the job 100 times easier.