Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Halfway through axle swap... Problems...

Old 03-04-2003, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halfway through axle swap... Problems...

Welp.. I found out why my tranny is leaking at almost every seal, including where the housing halves meet. (Where the housings meet has EPOXY smeared all over the seam... Jackasses. )

Some ******* put 80w90 in the tranny. It came out all cloudy like Gear oil does, it was thick as hell, even though I had just driven it to pick up the axles. And it stunk like gear oil does... I thought EVERYBODY knows that Honda is weird and uses engine oil in their trannies. In fact, the only place I know that Honda uses gear oil is in rear differentials like my old 4wd wagon and the Passport; But that's an Isuzu anyway, so it doesn't count.

So aside from ******* up all the seals, what else could be messed up by using the wrong weight oil. I'll be putting in Honda MTF, along with two new axle seals.

Also, How do I fill through the Vehicle Speed Sensor? That hole is awful small, I dunno if I can stick anything I've got in there. (I get that a lot. ) I removed the sensor. (First I tried to pull the three phillips screws, but one wouldn't turn, so I pulled the two 10mm bolts. There was a little brass looking shaft with one small end and one big end in the hole, small end up... I removed that, but theres like a tube in the hole too. It's a tube that goes around the little brass looking shaft.

Oh well, if worse comes to worst, I'll fill it the regular way and make a mess in the garage.

[Modified by Pele, 12:31 PM 3/4/2003]
Old 03-04-2003, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Halfway through axle swap... Problems... (Pele)

theres the mainshaft seal.... but you have to pull the tranny to do that one!

good idea about the speed sensor fill... i never thought of that! I DO have a mess under my car
Old 03-04-2003, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Halfway through axle swap... Problems... (xkon)

I know about the input shaft seal, I'll do that when and if the clutch dies... Even if I do that, I'm gonna be forever stuck with the bad tranny housing seal.

I'm more worried about fucked up synchros or bearings... Come to think of it.. that's where that whine was soming from.. there was a little tranny whine when I first got it...

Dig the Axle replacement tutorial.. I'm not the original creator of the VSS fill proceedure.. Although I like it, if I can find a funnel to get in there.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=382416

My hole doesnt look like the one in the picture... On my tranny, the VSS fits over a nub that sticks outta the tranny. My VSS looks like that though... Perhaps if I remove the nub...

[Modified by Pele, 12:54 PM 3/4/2003]
Old 03-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Never mind. I'm cool... Got the wrong bolts for the VSS... Put it back together and took the other one off and pulled out a gear on a shaft... One 10mm bolt a little out, not the two 10mm's next to it. Also had to run out and get new spindle nuts. I don't wanna reuse these old things... There's almost no lip left to stake them down.

Anywhozer... Had a bit of trouble with the driver's side ball joint not wanting to come apart from the Lower control arm... Brybar didn't work, Crowbar with a pipe didn't work, Hammering on the ball joint stud didn't work either. (Yeah, I know.. bad thing to do, ***** up your threads... But I was running outta options... I had the castle nut on it to protect the threads...) I finally had to get a log splitting wedge and an 8 lb sledge... And even that took several tries.

Does it matter if I put the tranny/axle seals in a bit too far, (Like an eighth, maybe a quarter of an inch. Almost touching the thing that the axles fit into, I'm assuming that's the differential carrier.) I sure hope not. I couldn't see around my seal/bearing race driver, and When I pried out the old ones, they got a little bent up, so I don't wanna damage the new seals.

Aside from filling the tranny and putting back the VSS, I'm done.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:22 PM

nice work... i wish mine was done!
Old 03-04-2003, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Halfway through axle swap... Problems... (xkon)

Whew... Lotta **** done today...

1.) Axle replacement, both sides
2.) Axle seal replacement, both sides
3.) Tranny oil change
4.) Fix driver's side rear drum brake self-adjuster
5.) Readjust both rear brakes
6.) Rotate tires
7.) Oil change

[Modified by Pele, 7:59 PM 3/4/2003]