Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

h22eg would'nt start back up

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would'nt start back up

my swap has been running great for the past few weeks. today i pulled my car out and had it running for about 10minutes and then the car died. i was low on gas so i filled it up to about a quarter tank full. cranked it over but didn't start. turned the key off and then to the accessory position to listen for the fuel pump, but heard nothing. i check my connections on the fuel cut-off and they looked okay, so i hard wired it back together, tested the pump and still nothing. checked for power with multimeter and there is no power going to the pump. so i hard wired the pump to a 12v source and the pump started pumping so i tried to turn the car over but still wouldn't start (no spark either?) i check fuses in the engine bay and found the 'back up' 7.5amp fuse to be blown. replaced and check for the fuel pump to pump, and still nothing (note the fuse never blew after it i replaced it, as if there was something shorting it out constantly). i have not yet check to see if the car is getting spark or not yet, the starter does crank but will not turn over.

facts:
no power to the pump
pump will pump and does work when supplied with 12v source

im thinking i may have a bad ground either with the fuel pump itself, for it may be the ground by the thermostat housing, possibly a main relay had gone bad?i have not check these grounds or relay yet.

im using Avid motor mounts and they vibrate a lot during startup but once the car warms up its fine, but im thinking the vibration may have made a ground loose and or striped and shorted a wire. i had my enginebay fuse box rerouted through the firewall but i checked the harness for any stripped or broken wires, none found...it would be pretty noticeable if the loom was worn through, the harness looked okay.

any ideas would be great, i picked up a factory honda service manual for a 93civic and will try to troubleshoot.

checklist for tomorrow:

check spark
check grounds
check relay
check continuity though power and ground for fuel pump for any broken wires-(unlikely)

anything you think i might be missing?

Modified by 93dxkid at 5:45 AM 5/13/2006

Modified by 93dxkid at 5:47 AM 5/13/2006
Old 05-13-2006, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would'nt start back up (93dxkid) *GOT IT STARTED*

Did some troubleshooting this morning with the Honda service manual.

The ACG (ALT) (S) (15A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box was blown. Replaced the fuse, turned the key, the fuel pump kicked on and I heard the main relay *click*. The car started right up. I have had the car idling for about 5 minutes now and everything is looking okay. Prior to checking this fuse did also check my ground at the thermostat, I scuffed it up just to make sure but the connection was okay.

Thanks to Steve at Import Sports for letting me take home his manual troubleshooting manual.