Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

h22a1 in 5th gen sedans

Old 08-20-2002, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22a1 in 5th gen sedans

hey guys I recently started working on my project , I got a 94 EX-V and planted a H22A1 engine inside ... for now .
Car handles really well for those that were still wondering however it seems incredibly slow .
I managed to loose a race to a LS powered civic with very short gearing and some bolt ons . Since this is a fairly new setup I havn't gone to the dyno or the track but I shuold be going arround there by the end of this week .
So far I have upgraded my fuel pump to a Legend fuel pump and I have installed a CAI made from mandrel bent 3" piping . I'm still on stock civic exhaust with the resonator out however . I am also on 14" running about 55% of the PSI I should run in the tires .
Now I know the car I ran was prolly high 14's but I was expecting something a bit better out of this engine . I also know that I am a good driver as a matter of fact my reaction time was fairly better and i'd stay in front for a bit of first gear however my first gear takes me to about 80 kmph , and that's where the other car was shifting to third . So basically he'd just pull on me like he'd have more torque and end the race ( after what I would be in front of him for the half of the first gear ) about one hatchbacklength in front of me

Anywais ... do u guys have any sugestions about what could be hurting my power right now ? What should I focus on first ? What should I be looking for ?

Oh on a side note I'd have to tell you that I chirp my second however my third does not chirp at all even though i change it fast . And with the tires I'm runing it sounds like I shuold ... what could be robbing me of power

[Modified by civic.tar.gz, 8:18 AM 8/20/2002]
Old 08-20-2002, 06:47 AM

Default Re: h22a1 in 5th gen sedans (civic.tar.gz)

oh yeah the exact specs for the engine ... 95 JDM SRV engine
does anybody know and is sure of the exact stock nrs of this engine i've heard 200hp/163tq at the flywheel

[Modified by civic.tar.gz, 11:08 AM 8/20/2002]
Old 08-20-2002, 01:18 PM

ttt
Old 08-20-2002, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lose the stock exhaust.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:54 AM

update on my situation . I was out testing the H22 last nite again , wasn't satisfied . Got beat by a red coupe on stock 1.5 SOHC engine with a 55 shot of nitrous . I got a very good launch pulled about 2 carlenghs on him off the line then by 140 he caught up and smoked me . That's sad . Eventually it all ended with the hb that beat me the previous nite runing a 15.3 on the GTECH which would kinda tell me that my car runs mid to high 15's now . Now once again I launch good and shift good . Could my exhaust really eat 2 seconds out of my time ?

-----------------------------
on another note I was looking with a friend under the hood of my car and I've noticed that the EGR's are not hooked up properly ... i remember my mechanic telling me that the EGR would slow me down . is that true ?
I also have an engine light show up on my dash and by checking the codes the EGR code and , i can't remember exactly it was something electrical which my mechanic told me it's a normal code for JDM engines installed over here .

Would the EGR slow me down ... or would just the check engine light slow me down ?
Also it seems that I have an h23 throtle body since the map sensor seems to be isntalled on the throttle body and by looking udner the hood of an SRV I noticed it was different ...

What do u guys have to say about this , what should i look for ?

thnx ...

P.S. this 5 post a day restriction is preety bad on me ... when and how can i get rid of it ?

EDIT : ... since i gotta limit my posts now ... ummm ... if i have posted this in the wrong section could someone move this post to the hybrid section if u guys think it belongs there ? nobody seems to have any info on it ...

[Modified by civic.tar.gz, 12:07 PM 8/21/2002]
Old 08-21-2002, 11:56 AM

everything seems a little mismatched, what ecu are you useing, do you have the egr setup working? All these things are a contributing factor. If you are running a smaller throttle body, if you are running a p13 ecu without the egr working correctly, if you are useing the stock exhaust, then yes this could hurt your times very much, please get it straight, I hate to hear stories like this.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:19 PM

Default Re: h22a1 in 5th gen sedans (4g4me)

yeah i know what you mean oh well ...
I'm broke for a few days now , so I will just take my time into researching an exhaust setup . Now I need something cheap because i'll be NA ( on spray at times though ) for a year and then go turbo later on . I guess i'll just look for a custom one but what should I get for this engine + spray ... 2.50 ? 2.75 ? 3" directly to be ready for turbo ?
tricky part here is that i really need something silent and i don't want a fart can which sadly u see on 90% of the civics .
so far it's good to know what i'm looking at so that i can work from here . I'm a bit confused myself as 1 year ago I had no mechanical knowledge whatsoever me beeing just a computer geek who liked to drive fast . But i'm getting there
So u're saying that definently the EGR not working might slow me down too ... hmm
well so far my civic is grounded below VTEC point up untill the point where i get an exhaust then i'll do a few more runs see what good that did to me . maybe if i'm lucky i'll get to a dyno next week to and look at the exact numbers ...

ok anywais thnx a lot for the info and help so far i'll keep u guys updated on times .

[Modified by civic.tar.gz, 1:22 PM 8/21/2002]
Old 08-22-2002, 11:33 AM

ttt anybody ? ? ?
and could anybody please tell me what's up with the 5 post per day restriction , i'd have a few more things to say myself arround here but i'm trying to save them all up wisely ... i loged in last nite at like 2 and i had one more post , decided to waste it in the morning so that more ppl would see it ...
now that's smart and organised posting :D