Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

H22A in my 94 EG hatch

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 H22A in my 94 EG hatch

hey there im looking to put a H22A in my 94 hatch ive had one in my 94 accord easy swap. but i was wondering is there much diffrence in the eg rather than the accord?? also what problems will i mostly run into?? also wiring?? is that much of a issue? thanks guys.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H22A in my 94 EG hatch

It's really not all the difficult, just a little more involved than the Accord swap, and quite a few additional parts to buy.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/%5Bfaq%5D-%2A%2A%2Ah22a-into-civic-eg-ek-information-post-all-h22a-hybrid-info-here%2A%2A%2A-650329/
Old 10-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just did mine with a buddy this weekend, what i had to deal with is ...

' i needed a new rear main seal
' new intake mani gasket.
' plugs/wires
' had to get a new tranny.. mine was messed up.. * hope u dont*

As far as the instal, with the m2A or whatever.. u need to dent ur rail, and kinda shoe in the engine.. but other than that its easy, harness isnt hard at all either, to me it acually looks like the H is supposed to go into the EG
Old 10-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by h22acd5
hey there im looking to put a H22A in my 94 hatch ive had one in my 94 accord easy swap. but i was wondering is there much diffrence in the eg rather than the accord?? also what problems will i mostly run into?? also wiring?? is that much of a issue? thanks guys.
the difference is weight of your cars and the weird axle angle you will encounter.. I say go h2b instead.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

really?.. cause honestly i went from a d16 to an H22.. and i dont notice any weight diffrence at all... i just have coilovers and thats it, no sway bar in the back (yet) but yea.. i notice no issue with weight distribution.. but as far as the axles yea mine sit at a 45 off the mid shaft and tranny... no issues though so far " crosses fingers"
Old 10-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my eg had a boosted h22 in it befoer i bought it when my uncle owned it and idk if it was just the guy who put it in but my shock towers are pretty beat up from trying to fit it in..
Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by H22EG'z
really?.. cause honestly i went from a d16 to an H22.. and i dont notice any weight diffrence at all... i just have coilovers and thats it, no sway bar in the back (yet) but yea.. i notice no issue with weight distribution.. but as far as the axles yea mine sit at a 45 off the mid shaft and tranny... no issues though so far " crosses fingers"
I said the difference is the weight of the cars not the motor. the h22 only weighs about 35 more pounds than the B series..

Swapping an h22 motor from an accord to a civic is a difference because of the weight of the cars
Old 10-21-2009, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
I said the difference is the weight of the cars not the motor. the h22 only weighs about 35 more pounds than the B series..

Swapping an h22 motor from an accord to a civic is a difference because of the weight of the cars
35 pounds diff in motors alone or motor and tranny diff. 35 is still a decently big weight gain. but Im all for h22s minus the cylinder liner deal.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by H22EG'z
so did you have to beat your shock tower or anything like that??? how did you get the axles in is easy to do ??
Old 10-21-2009, 10:18 AM

i had an h22 in my old eg and they had cut right under the strut tower to clear room for the crank pulley. Ive seen other people just kinda beat on the frame to clear it. As far as the axles i would rip the boots constantly because it was rubbing on the oil pan, thats why i got rid of the car. Fun to drive though they have a lot of torque
Originally Posted by mxracer420
my eg had a boosted h22 in it befoer i bought it when my uncle owned it and idk if it was just the guy who put it in but my shock towers are pretty beat up from trying to fit it in..
Old 10-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Elite_ej1
i had an h22 in my old eg and they had cut right under the strut tower to clear room for the crank pulley. Ive seen other people just kinda beat on the frame to clear it. As far as the axles i would rip the boots constantly because it was rubbing on the oil pan, thats why i got rid of the car. Fun to drive though they have a lot of torque
is there anyway around ripping boots maybe a modded oil pan???
Old 10-21-2009, 10:32 AM

yea i shaved down with a grinder on the corners of the oil pan. just be sure not to go in too deep and make a hole. That was simple solution again that's my way as i was just trying to get rid of it, maybe an after market oil pan would work alot better?
Originally Posted by h22acd5
is there anyway around ripping boots maybe a modded oil pan???
Old 10-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
35 pounds diff in motors alone or motor and tranny diff. 35 is still a decently big weight gain. but Im all for h22s minus the cylinder liner deal.
35 lbs is nothing if the driver weighs 40 lbs more then the other driver weight gets distributed evenly. Just a little extra weight up front, but with a good set of fully adjustable coilvers that takes care of any weight issue suspension handeling issues.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just don't lower your car too much, and you shouldn't have any issues with axles. Every time I read about someone damaging axles with an H22A swap, they either slam the car too low, used cheap mounts, or they used the wrong axles.

Some people have clearance issues with the crank pulley, but others don't have to do anything to get it in. My friend hit his frame with a big sledge hammer, on the first car his setup was in. On the 2nd car, that it is currently in, he didn't have to do anything to get it to clear; although there is roughly an inch of clearance.

Another thing to think about is which mounts to go with. Don't buy some cheap no-name brand mounts from ebay, buy some from a reputable company. That way, you know that there is R&D involved in making the mounts, so the engine and transmission aren't likely to be tweaked one way or another.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CivicSpoon
Just don't lower your car too much, and you shouldn't have any issues with axles. Every time I read about someone damaging axles with an H22A swap, they either slam the car too low, used cheap mounts, or they used the wrong axles.

Some people have clearance issues with the crank pulley, but others don't have to do anything to get it in. My friend hit his frame with a big sledge hammer, on the first car his setup was in. On the 2nd car, that it is currently in, he didn't have to do anything to get it to clear; although there is roughly an inch of clearance.

Another thing to think about is which mounts to go with. Don't buy some cheap no-name brand mounts from ebay, buy some from a reputable company. That way, you know that there is R&D involved in making the mounts, so the engine and transmission aren't likely to be tweaked one way or another.
ok thanks for the info my car isnt super slammed but it is low but i was thinking of going hasport mounts heard nothing but good things fromthem. also if i put headers on it will need to buy a specials type?? or a regular h22 set like from dc or something.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a header for an H22A will work. You'll just have to worry about how the rest of the exhaust meets up with the header flange, because of length and it possibly having a different flange. You may also need to get a flex pipe with some flanges welded on, to go between the header and the rest of the exhaust. The flex pipe is nice to have on there regardless of whether you HAVE to use it for fitment issues or not.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:12 PM

You need different axles. i have a 93 civic coupe so idk if you can use integra type R axles like i did. you will need a flex pipe like the guy above said. when you run the shifting cables zip tie them together where they go under the right side motor mount and find a way to tack them against the wheel well other wise the motor mount will pinch the right hand cable and you wont be able to shift very good and over time it will pinch through the cable and lock your tranny up. so make sure you get the cable in a safe place.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HOODRICHZEKE
You need different axles. i have a 93 civic coupe so idk if you can use integra type R axles like i did. you will need a flex pipe like the guy above said. when you run the shifting cables zip tie them together where they go under the right side motor mount and find a way to tack them against the wheel well other wise the motor mount will pinch the right hand cable and you wont be able to shift very good and over time it will pinch through the cable and lock your tranny up. so make sure you get the cable in a safe place.
are you sure you are running integra type R axles?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CivicSpoon
Just a header for an H22A will work. You'll just have to worry about how the rest of the exhaust meets up with the header flange, because of length and it possibly having a different flange. You may also need to get a flex pipe with some flanges welded on, to go between the header and the rest of the exhaust. The flex pipe is nice to have on there regardless of whether you HAVE to use it for fitment issues or not.
what flex pipe do i use?? prelude or civic??
Old 10-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You buy it for the diameter of the piping that you're working with. So if your header and exhaust are 2.5", then you get a 2.5" flex pipe. The length of the flex pipe depends on the gap you need to fill between the header and exhaust (or header and cat); while remembering to factor in the length that 2 flanges will add to it.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

h22acd5 --"so did you have to beat your shock tower or anything like that??? how did you get the axles in is easy to do ?? "--

nah brother.. .just dropped my **** in.. it cleared all the way around no issues and dropped the halfshaft and axles in.. i got "hybrid swap" axles for my H.. from REAXLES, i think it was.. they were like 350shipped and they came brand new assembled .. my eg is about 1 1/2 finger gap from my fender.. and i dont have any axle issues or anything, the angle is kinda odd and i was worried about it for a bit.. but no issues at all.. and im on some crappy D2 coils... but hey... they are doin great so far.

-oh and after reading more.. i got Innovative mounts... the engine sits pretty decent.. it shoves it towards the back so it helps the axles not bind

Last edited by H22EG'z; 10-21-2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: saw new stuff on posts wanted to add
Old 10-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks man really looking forward to it.