Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

h22a

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22a

just got a h22a for my 96 civic hatch. i want it to go fast and take cars off the line.
this is what i got, so far, for it:
1-inten cold air intake
2-skunk2 pro series intake manifold
3-megan racing headers
4-.............?
i am looking to turbo or do a stroker kit and for s&g run NOS however i do not know what one will give me more power. also i know if i go the way of the turbo then i have to do a sleeve kit cause of the walls not being that strong. do i have to do any thing besids the stroker kit if i go that way and can i even run nos if i do a stroker kit? my friend told me to put the b16 transmition on it, why tho.
i have been givin sh** for having an ek and not an eg and no one will tell me why the eg is so much better. if anyone can plz do tell.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22a

I have some stock Cp Boost pistons that were ran for about 1000 miles if your interseted I would like to get $400 or OBO. they sell online for $700 All 4 pistons rings and wristpins. Please call me at 509 951 6663 is the best way to get a hold of me
Old 03-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civichorton
just got a h22a for my 96 civic hatch. i want it to go fast and take cars off the line.
this is what i got, so far, for it:
1-inten cold air intake
2-skunk2 pro series intake manifold
3-megan racing headers
4-.............?
i am looking to turbo or do a stroker kit and for s&g run NOS however i do not know what one will give me more power. also i know if i go the way of the turbo then i have to do a sleeve kit cause of the walls not being that strong. do i have to do any thing besids the stroker kit if i go that way and can i even run nos if i do a stroker kit? my friend told me to put the b16 transmition on it, why tho.
i have been givin sh** for having an ek and not an eg and no one will tell me why the eg is so much better. if anyone can plz do tell.

The Sleeves of an H22 aren't weak, the ring lands are, and forged pistons don't work well with the FRM material in the sleeves. I'm currently running Mahle Gold Series in my Jdm H22 Type S without any problems whatosever and the bump in compression (power) is felt.

Now anyone would immediately and with justifiable cause TELL you to sleeve the block before turboing, it is the proper way to go about things if you want to boost "reliably". However, Boosted H's on stock internals do exist and when it came down to it, the TUNE is what matters more then anything else. In my case despite bumping the compression, I could get away boosting it in low amounts because the pistons/rings are FRM Safe..it's a Closed deck and I have a full race girdle (Not the entirety of the build but i'd say they are most closely relative when it comes to boosting).

I'd say Boost it man but if you're going for POWER do so the right way.

Iron Sleeves
Low Compression Pistons
Turbo (Kit)
GOOD Tune
ECU

You can run high boost, reliably, safely, with maximum efficiency. Your EK is probably getting bad reviews because it's a heavier shell then the EG, and a porkly civic is never a good idea if speed is what you're striving for.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H22s already can have traction issues in Civics. Before getting too carried away, some stiffer springs, traction bar, better brakes should be done if not already. The H is not that much heavier, but the weight distribution along with the like 100lbs more is even more reason to upgrade suspension.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
H22s already can have traction issues in Civics. Before getting too carried away, some stiffer springs, traction bar, better brakes should be done if not already. The H is not that much heavier, but the weight distribution along with the like 100lbs more is even more reason to upgrade suspension.
What kind of traction issues have you run into?

You know before I actually dropped mine in a coupe I feared this until I actually took out the time to weigh an H motor B series motor (An LS) and found that the difference in weight was marginal at best. Even though CURRENTLY it's on a Skunk2 Suspension, prior to putting that in and leaving it on the stocks the car handled and rode PERFECTLY (This coming from a guy who drives his cars VERY hard, which will include the occasional drift around a corner on Choppy Urban New Jersey streets).

MAYBE in something like a hatchback or a CRX would it probably be more of an issue, but in something like a Sedan or a Coupe, Especially the heavier EK models, I dont see how someone could have handling issues with an H dropped into the front.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he's talking about catching traction. I know when my buddy had his hatch and we put the H22 in it, it was spinning but nothing real crazy. He was on 14's too though.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had an H series, but I've heard that they are torquey enough that as iamthefollower said, they have issues catching traction.

For weight I was only going off of measurements people took and trying to remember them. If it's really not that much of an issue, then that's awesome.