Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

h22 swap vs. d16 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22 swap vs. d16 turbo

i cant make up my mind which will be better all around. compared to money, performance, how long it will last..... so give me some help here
Old 11-27-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Re: h22 swap vs. d16 turbo (98exturd)

d16 turbo will be cheaper
h22 will probly last longer
good luck
Old 11-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: h22 swap vs. d16 turbo (travmantravis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by travmantravis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">d16 turbo will be cheaper
h22 will probly last longer
good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

probably.

If you shop around you can do either setup for about the same price.

I honestly would do the h22, you'll have power on demand, still get decent gas mileage, and have a n/a 160tq.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:47 PM

never underestimate how fun a boosted D16 can be, and cheap to built too. you can built those D's top to bottom for less than a grand. then they can hold 400whp!
Old 11-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (K20HUNTR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by K20HUNTR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">never underestimate how fun a boosted D16 can be, and cheap to built too. you can built those D's top to bottom for less than a grand. then they can hold 400whp!</TD></TR></TABLE>

and even stock a d16 can hold 220 whp, which is pretty good. and if you blow it, your only out a couple hundred dollars. i'd take a decent boosted d16 over an h22 anydays. just don't run it to 7k rpm every time you drive it and it should last pretty well.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Re: (99 Civic EX)

im currently turboing my d15
ill let you know how it turns out if you want
Old 11-28-2007, 02:48 PM

h22 swap, i did it and love it. 1920 pounder 92 hatch with 193whp/156qtq h22a1 swap is niiiiice DD
Old 11-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (sleepyH22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleepyH22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">h22 swap, i did it and love it. 1920 pounder 92 hatch with 193whp/156qtq h22a1 swap is niiiiice DD</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bet that thing is a blast! Nice numbers. Stock motor?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: h22 swap vs. d16 turbo (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

probably.

I honestly would do the h22, you'll have power on demand, still get decent gas mileage, and have a n/a 160tq.</TD></TR></TABLE> and when u have the money and if u want to u can always turbo or build the H22 not hating on the turboed d (i love them 2) but H22 would be Sweet
Old 11-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

probably.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You find me an H22A swap for under a grand and im sold....

H22 swap is gonna cost you at least 2 g's... motor, axles, tranny, ecu, ect....

single cams u can pick up for 500 bucks, and turbo kits u can peice together for another 500... tuned another 250.... lower ur car, camber kit, energy suspension bushings, and good clutch = still not as much as H22 swap, yet still way more power.. and ur boosted.. SOHC TURBO FTW..!!
Old 11-28-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: h22 swap vs. d16 turbo (JDM_SOHC)

where can you peice a turbo together for $500.....EBAY
Old 11-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

single cams u can pick up for 500 bucks, and turbo kits u can peice together for another 500... tuned another 250.... lower ur car, camber kit, energy suspension bushings, and good clutch = still not as much as H22 swap, yet still way more power.. and ur boosted.. SOHC TURBO FTW..!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't get so excited. For ~$2500 you could have a regular h22 swap and you have a fresh motor. You MIGHT spend $2500 for a decent turbo setup, and it MIGHT last you a few years. This is STILL provided you have the tools/time/know-how.

Don't be so quick to just start crunching numbers, turbo's CAN be cheap, but often they really add up. If you want a legitimate reliable turbo kit with a quality turbo you'll spend about the same as an h22 swap.

Find me a turbo kit that's even making good numbers for $500 for longer than a year and I'll log off honda-tech forever. Your statement and prices are preposterous and fabricated. Nothing works that way except in fantasy land. Your last section bothered me the most. Those prices are inconceivable and hopeful.

And stock h22's with a tune CAN AND HAVE made 190+whp and 150+wtq.

Full swaps can be found locally for peanuts.

And you STILL have a naturally aspirated motor and don't have to wait fr the power or worry about compression spike, overheating, oil consumption, etc that comes with a high strung turbo. Any stock d-series making numbers that put it on par with a good running h22 will be high strung and often not last that long unless the tune is premium and you maintain it very well.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go with the h22 turbo
Old 11-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 swap vs. d16 turbo (roachsboosted16)

haha ur right... im just some ying yang who doesnt know right from left....

Old 11-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't get so excited. For ~$2500 you could have a regular h22 swap and you have a fresh motor. You MIGHT spend $2500 for a decent turbo setup, and it MIGHT last you a few years. This is STILL provided you have the tools/time/know-how.

Don't be so quick to just start crunching numbers, turbo's CAN be cheap, but often they really add up. If you want a legitimate reliable turbo kit with a quality turbo you'll spend about the same as an h22 swap.

Find me a turbo kit that's even making good numbers for $500 for longer than a year and I'll log off honda-tech forever. Your statement and prices are preposterous and fabricated. Nothing works that way except in fantasy land. Your last section bothered me the most. Those prices are inconceivable and hopeful.

And stock h22's with a tune CAN AND HAVE made 190+whp and 150+wtq.

Full swaps can be found locally for peanuts.

And you STILL have a naturally aspirated motor and don't have to wait fr the power or worry about compression spike, overheating, oil consumption, etc that comes with a high strung turbo. Any stock d-series making numbers that put it on par with a good running h22 will be high strung and often not last that long unless the tune is premium and you maintain it very well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Kinda ignorant to offer leavin HT forever, when i'm sure I could find you a couple dozen people online with homeade turbo setups, running for years and putting up nice numbers... or at least numbers nicer than a stock **** H22...

http://www.turbod16.com

http://www.homemadeturbo.com

And as far as having a naturally aspirated motor, thats not what the OP asked for... C'mon dude, you keep putting out these far fetched opinions of what you see, but those arent facts... Fact is, a boosted single cam should beat the **** out of an h22... bottom line... There not even CLOSEin price, boosted single cam is guarenteed to be more fun, brings u closer to ur whip, and literally BOOSTS your self esteem... Those are all things that I think our OP here is after... And as far as reliability, I bet you I could blow up an H22 just as easy as Id blow up a boosted single cam... Reliability all lies in the hands of your tuner, you tune a car to perfection and thats just what you have, a car tuned for the way its gonna be driven...

Back to the topic at hand, just because a motor is boosted doesnt deminish its lack of reliability... Yeah takes a toll cuz the motor wasnt meant to be boosted, but guess what dude thats what they make ecu chipping kits for...

And as far as not getting a decent turbo kit for under $2500... RROOOFFFLLMMFFAAOOOOOOOOOO..!!!!

Unless your turbo's made of 24k gold an ***** out lil elves that wash and wax your car for you, I cant see why in the world you'd need to spend $2500 on a kit... lol that was a good one...

The only people who spend that much on their turbo kits are usually not mechanically inclined, lazy, and/or have no clue what the hell they're buying haha... you can get a Garrett GT30 now an days for under 500 haha, and thats cream of the crop... But like i said, i've only been in the honda game for like 12 years so what would I know...
Old 11-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98exturd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where can you peice a turbo together for $500.....EBAY</TD></TR></TABLE>

A cheap **** turbo that will last maybe 3 months on a cheap-****-hack-job tuning system that you'll be lucky to get 2 days out of b4 frying your engine.

1200 is CHEAP for one built with good parts.

I say if you're going to get a boosted D project (not going all out) assess about 1500-2000 to do so.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98exturd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i cant make up my mind which will be better all around. compared to money, performance, how long it will last..... so give me some help here</TD></TR></TABLE>

They'll last as good as they're maintained, simple as that. The turbo will obviously have some issues as far as how well it's tuned (if it's not tuned well it won't last long), but assuming a good non-hack-job dyno tune they'll both be as reliable as they're maintained (maintenance such as oil changes, etc.). Unless you try forcing 250whp through that D series's stock internals which regardless of tune will just lower the life of the block.

Although all motor HP is faster than boosted HP, you'll make more power with the H22.

I'd go with the H22, only b/c I'm a torque guy, and the H22 has a nice amount for a 4 banger...so does boost, but you won't beat a well tuned I/H/E H22 unless you're boosting ~220whp which is kinda stressing the internals.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Ek Forever y0!

You're contorting everything i've said. I agree with everyone you've said, but you're leaving out a lot of key parts.

There is NO turbo kit that for even $1000 will last long on a typical d-series for longer than a few years. That's a FACT.

I said $2500 for a RELIABLE kit that will last more than a few years.

You're arguing points are childish and hold no real technical value. Just your opinion on which is "more fun" or "cheaper"

The OP hasn't even responded yet, like many of these people that ask what they should do. Leave it to rest. You and I have different views on pricing and capability probably mostly because of our geographical differences. My honda market is a lot different than yours without a doubt. It's harder to find a good tuner in GA than it is in other places. Making a car fast will vary wherever you go.

I hope you're getting e-credit points for bashing people's opinions on a public forum. Have a happy holiday.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I drove an H22 Prelude the other day and was thoroughly impressed (it only had a muffler, AEM cold-air intake, and a VTEC controller). It pulled pretty damn hard (for a Honda ) and would run even better in a lighter Civic.

I've yet to come across a boosted D-Series, so I have no input on that one

But I do like the fuel economy/power of my GS-R'd Civic
Old 11-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: h22 swap vs. d16 turbo (Syndacate)

Originally Posted by JDM_SOHC

Kinda ignorant to offer leavin HT forever, when i'm sure I could find you a couple dozen people online with homeade turbo setups, running for years and putting up nice numbers... or at least numbers nicer than a stock **** H22...

http://www.turbod16.com

http://www.homemadeturbo.com

And as far as having a naturally aspirated motor, thats not what the OP asked for... C'mon dude, you keep putting out these far fetched opinions of what you see, but those arent facts... Fact is, a boosted single cam should beat the **** out of an h22... bottom line... There not even CLOSEin price, boosted single cam is guarenteed to be more fun, brings u closer to ur whip, and literally BOOSTS your self esteem... Those are all things that I think our OP here is after... And as far as reliability, I bet you I could blow up an H22 just as easy as Id blow up a boosted single cam... Reliability all lies in the hands of your tuner, you tune a car to perfection and thats just what you have, a car tuned for the way its gonna be driven...

Back to the topic at hand, just because a motor is boosted doesnt deminish its lack of reliability... Yeah takes a toll cuz the motor wasnt meant to be boosted, but guess what dude thats what they make ecu chipping kits for...

And as far as not getting a decent turbo kit for under $2500... RROOOFFFLLMMFFAAOOOOOOOOOO..!!!!

Unless your turbo's made of 24k gold an ***** out lil elves that wash and wax your car for you, I cant see why in the world you'd need to spend $2500 on a kit... lol that was a good one...

The only people who spend that much on their turbo kits are usually not mechanically inclined, lazy, and/or have no clue what the hell they're buying haha... you can get a Garrett GT30 now an days for under 500 haha, and thats cream of the crop... But like i said, i've only been in the honda game for like 12 years so what would I know...
12 years or so...and do you have any clue what you're talking about?

If you get a name brand kit like turbo specialties it'll run you 2k - and that's with their cheap **** e-manage system, not including a chipped ECU, not including the tune. That's not even up to par with greddy 'n **** IMO (although you still pay a lot for the name with them).

You will NEVER piece together a reliable turbo kit for any Honda motor for 500 bucks.

Yes, even with a good tuner, running boost on a single cam motor like the D16/D15 at 200 or 220hp will lower the life of the engine, as the internals were never designed to withstand that. Will it be unreliable? No. Will it be as reliable as a stock, Honda, OEM, motor? No.

haha ur right... im just some ying yang who doesnt know right from left....
Definitely got that one right.

single cams u can pick up for 500 bucks, and turbo kits u can peice together for another 500... tuned another 250.... lower ur car, camber kit, energy suspension bushings, and good clutch = still not as much as H22 swap, yet still way more power.. and ur boosted.. SOHC TURBO FTW..!!
You'll never see a kit (pieced together or built) for 500 unless he has friends giving him turbo parts for free. A GOOD turbo is like 200 bucks. Shut up.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: h22 swap vs. d16 turbo (JKov240)

Most preludes weigh ~ 3000lbs.

It's a nice car, lots of features.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:22 PM

so im guessin an ebay turbo kit is out of the ?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:22 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one thing i'd like to mention is to do a swap properly, it costs ALOT more money than people say. replace the timing belt, water pump, clutch, maybe perf flywheel, spark plug wires, get the right axles, mounts, header, exhaust mod, intake, ecu adapter and tune, etc it costs alot of money. sure, you could get a mystery junkyard engine, not change any of the wear items, etc and it could be fine, but the point of getting an OE engine swap is for it to last and to have peace of mind! if you don't care about rolling the dice, you might as well boost the engine that comes in your car because it surely will be fast, for less money and extremely fun. if tuned it might last a long time!

for example, this is what it cost me to do my jdm gsr swap, and it only makes 174/132, which is very healthy for a stock engine, but still...

engine and trans, shipped from HMO 3720
crv compressor bracket 65
99-00 si d-side engine bracket 33
99-00 si rear t bracket 44
timing belt 48
water pump 90
Exedy chromoly FW 250
Exedy clutch 200
Skunk intake mani 200
Apexi GT manifold 330
NGK wires 50
Intake mani gasket 8
MSD cap and rotor 38
SMSP flare, donut and flange 25
NGK spark plugs 8
Honda coolant 8
AEM FPR 120
oil and filter 10
Apexi Power FC and tuning 600
new (not reman) axles 215

maybe it has to do with the fact that i don't cut corners, but i know for sure my car's engine will probably last longer than me.....
Old 11-28-2007, 06:23 PM

Honestly, I would go with an H22A Type S swap, NA you will have 220hp and 163tq at the crank, and it will be one fun ride! Don't boost it, stay stock and you will be as reliable as Honda ever has been while still having that speed.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:28 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98exturd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so im guessin an ebay turbo kit is out of the ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

IMO&lt; yep. you really do get what you pay for....
Old 11-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 swap vs. d16 turbo (Syndacate)

No replacment for displacment!

Go big or go home!

"My H is faster then your turbo." hehe

Seriously tho, H ftw.

Eveyone respects the big blocks.

TQ wins motor races!

"I'd never go H" lol, who the hell are you?

Weight issue that ppl claim.

Axle binding... = ebay parts. bad install.

Very cost effective. your an idiot if you think H swaps are expencive.

Type S, oh yea!

&lt;--- Type s complete swap, all new hoses belts pumps bearings clutch flywheel axles mounts... I spent just under 2k. my labor. Can you even buy a GSR for 2k?

Quick Reply: h22 swap vs. d16 turbo