Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

h22 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22 swap

im saving up money for a h22 swap now since i found a place thatll do it for a good price and i was just wondering how much hp would i be able to get out of it.
ive heard that its not that great but its a 2.2 liter prelude engine why go 1.6 or 1.8 when u can go 2.2 isnt it more potential?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 swap (ekblack9)

man ur ganna get flamed. but i suspect that ull be in the high 13's low 14's all day. um hp wise i think like 190 or so
Old 03-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 swap (raphael)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raphael &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man ur ganna get flamed. but i suspect that ull be in the high 13's low 14's all day. um hp wise i think like 190 or so</TD></TR></TABLE>

190 stock? what about when i upgrade it and stuff
Old 03-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does anyone know of anyone who has done the h22 swap?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it will be a good swap..but tranny sucks..unless you get an adapter for a type R tranny for the H-series H2B SWAP
Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (deadline)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deadline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but tranny sucks..unless you get an adapter for a type R tranny for the H-series H2B SWAP</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekblack9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

190 stock? what about when i upgrade it and stuff</TD></TR></TABLE>

upgrade it with what? lol
Old 03-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekblack9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">190 stock? what about when i upgrade it and stuff</TD></TR></TABLE>when u upgrade it with better lubricants u can get like 10hp. stock h22 lubricants arent good due to viscosity differences in the cylinder pattern.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is 190 what i would really get out of it? i would think it would be more
Old 03-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ekblack9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deadline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it will be a good swap..but tranny sucks..unless you get an adapter for a type R tranny for the H-series H2B SWAP</TD></TR></TABLE>

Use the H22 tranny, the H2B setup can get expensive . Though yeah, it feels weird and is long as ****.

As far as power goes, the USDM H22 is rated at 190hp 156lb/ft tq. at the flywheel, the H22A is rated at 200hp 161lb/ft tq. at the flywheel and the H22 Type S is rated at 220hp 163lb/ft tq. at the flywheel (according to hmotors).

They're nice motors, some H22'ers are die hard fans, others hate H22's like you wouldn't believe.

As far as the understeer complaint goes, I test drove the **** out of my friend's 5th gen Si w/ an H22 in it and maybe it doesn't dig as hard on autocross type tracks, but if you're understeering on daily driving you need to seriously change your driving habits, as I was seeing how tight I could make it around poles as quick as possible 'n **** and you can definitely feel the weight, but you get used to it, and like I said, if it's messing up ur driving you drive like an *******.

Plenty people have done the swap, there's enough info if you just search for it. Not as much support for the B series swaps of course, but innovative and hasport have made the job a whole lot easier with their H22 to civic mounts and axles.

There's some issue w/ them and boost, I don't know what it is, somebody described it once but iono if he was talking out his *** or not. Somebody was talking about some kind of ratio (that I've never heard of) which is why they don't respond well to boost...iono, for some reason they don't, but even though they don't there's still people putting out 500+ on H22 daily drivers. Though if I had it my way it'd be supercharger time .

Old 03-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ekblack9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekblack9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is 190 what i would really get out of it? i would think it would be more</TD></TR></TABLE>i just told u that if u change the lubricants u can get like another 10 horse.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use the H22 tranny, the H2B setup can get expensive . Though yeah, it feels weird and is long as ****.

As far as power goes, the USDM H22 is rated at 190hp 156lb/ft tq. at the flywheel, the H22A is rated at 200hp 161lb/ft tq. at the flywheel and the H22 Type S is rated at 220hp 163lb/ft tq. at the flywheel (according to hmotors).

They're nice motors, some H22'ers are die hard fans, others hate H22's like you wouldn't believe.

As far as the understeer complaint goes, I test drove the **** out of my friend's 5th gen Si w/ an H22 in it and maybe it doesn't dig as hard on autocross type tracks, but if you're understeering on daily driving you need to seriously change your driving habits, as I was seeing how tight I could make it around poles as quick as possible 'n **** and you can definitely feel the weight, but you get used to it, and like I said, if it's messing up ur driving you drive like an *******.

Plenty people have done the swap, there's enough info if you just search for it. Not as much support for the B series swaps of course, but innovative and hasport have made the job a whole lot easier with their H22 to civic mounts and axles.

There's some issue w/ them and boost, I don't know what it is, somebody described it once but iono if he was talking out his *** or not. Somebody was talking about some kind of ratio (that I've never heard of) which is why they don't respond well to boost...iono, for some reason they don't, but even though they don't there's still people putting out 500+ on H22 daily drivers. Though if I had it my way it'd be supercharger time .

</TD></TR></TABLE>listen to this guy he knows what hes talkin about!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (raphael)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raphael &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just told u that if u change the lubricants u can get like another 10 horse. </TD></TR></TABLE>

easy i didnt see that
Old 03-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raphael &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">listen to this guy he knows what hes talkin about! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Be careful with that . You say that to the wrong person about me you'll get shot .

The #'s are from hmotors, the driving is what I felt from personally test driving it in a parking lot to see about the understeer, that's just my opinion.

As for the boost, that's just what I keep hearing, I never looked into it nor personally experienced H22-T's.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

turbo charge it

Old 03-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Be careful with that . You say that to the wrong person you'll get shot , .

The #'s are from hmotors, the driving is what I felt from personally test driving it in a parking lot to see about the understeer, that's just my opinion.

As for the boost, that's just what I keep hearing, I never looked into it nor personally experienced H22-T's.

</TD></TR></TABLE>yea i know theres alot of defensive bitches here.btw i have yet to feel a h22 civic.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raphael &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea i know theres alot of defensive bitches here.btw i have yet to feel a h22 civic. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's a lot snappier than I expected, actually.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're still an idiot.

syn. i wonder how much of your personal experience is BS.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raphael &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just told u that if u change the lubricants u can get like another 10 horse. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's just crazy... your telling him that if he simply changes his "lubricants" that he can gain 10 Hp. What if he changes his "lubricants" to the same **** that was in there? How many H's use your "stock h22 lubricants"? You need to know what was in there and if it did cause a lose... you would also need to tell him what to use... what should he use?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raphael &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock h22 lubricants arent good due to viscosity differences in the cylinder pattern.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have no idea what this means....

Ok really... here is some useful info
Stock H22's make 160-170 hp @ the wheels depending on the condition of the motor you buy (can be much lower if it's a pile!).

They react very well to bolt-ons. They are very very cost effective when you look at the cost of other swaps vs. reward.

Whith common upgrades like I/H/E you should see 175-185 hp. Cams and ECU tuning would get you to the 205-210 range. (cannot do this w/ a B on the same budget)

Complete change over. Axles. Mount Kit. Wire Harness. Done!

If you are serious about the swap. PM me... I've had 4 H22 powered cars and still have parts left over that might save you some $$

Modified by Duckiller00 at 4:52 PM 3/22/2007
Old 03-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Duckiller00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Duckiller00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's just crazy... your telling him that if he simply changes his "lubricants" that he can gain 10 Hp. What if he changes his "lubricants" to the same **** that was in there? How many H's use your "stock h22 lubricants"? You need to know what was in there and if it did cause a lose... you would also need to tell him what to use... what should he use?

Stock H22's make 160-170 hp @ the wheels depending on the condition of the motor you buy (can be much lower if it's a pile!).

They react very well to bolt-ons. They are very very cost effective when you look at the cost of other swaps vs. reward.

Whith common upgrades like I/H/E you should see 175-185 hp. Cams and ECU tuning would get you to the 205-210 range. (cannot do this w/ a B on the same budget)

If you are serious about the swap. PM me... I've had 4 H22 powered cars and still have parts left over that might save you some $$

Modified by Duckiller00 at 4:52 PM 3/22/2007</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Duckiller00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's just crazy... your telling him that if he simply changes his "lubricants" that he can gain 10 Hp. What if he changes his "lubricants" to the same **** that was in there? How many H's use your "stock h22 lubricants"? You need to know what was in there and if it did cause a lose... you would also need to tell him what to use... what should he use?

Modified by Duckiller00 at 4:52 PM 3/22/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>its a ****** joke turd. you are about as dumb as the person who started this thread
Old 03-22-2007, 08:32 AM

i seen guys go 13 flat on just headers, intake, exhoust..so you should be good for a all motor car
Old 03-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raphael &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its a ****** joke turd. you are about as dumb as the person who started this thread</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good come back!

And you sound like a real guru...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raphael &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when u upgrade it with better lubricants u can get like 10hp. stock h22 lubricants arent good due to viscosity differences in the cylinder pattern</TD></TR></TABLE>

and

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raphael &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just told u that if u change the lubricants u can get like another 10 horse</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your pretty persistent w/ the "Jokes". You got mad "jokes" yo!!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (highrev1987)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're still an idiot.

syn. i wonder how much of your personal experience is BS.</TD></TR></TABLE>

98.6%

you should answer questions that you have done, not read.

H22 drive just fine if not perfect. Syn you friends car must be wack.

they have "weak" ring lands and poor rod/stroke ratio. Syn thats what you had know idea what you were talking about.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're willing to spend the $ to do it, then DO IT. I drove my friends turbo'd/h22a VX, and he has less understeer than my stock '94 CX; this is not an exaggeration. Just make sure to get some quality springs and shock (or coil-overs), and understeer won't be too much of a problem.

And the "problem" with turbocharging an h22a is finding replacement low compression pistons that will go along with the stock sleeves. There are a few companies that make pistons, that will work with no problems. Or you can just replace the sleeves and not worry about it.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Banned

Default Re: (CivicSpoon)

Sleeves and trannys are the only things people can really complian about... and thoes things are not really worth complaining about!

You can make will over 700HP on stock sleeves, crank, head, cams, and manifold.
Mahle Pistions and a set of good rods!