Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

H22 HP Number I'm Confused

Old 12-31-2008, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 H22 HP Number I'm Confused

Okay so first all, yes I've done some research so if you know a post where there's an answer to my question feel free to post it and I'll take a look at it.

I have a Civic Hatch with an H22A JDM LSD engine in it and I keep finding(on mostly prelude sites) where they are doing all these bolt-ons and even headwork and stuff and they are only making around 200HP to the wheels. And that's with tuning. I want to keep it all-motor and don't want to build the bottom end at all and was wanting around 230-250 WHP. Is this possible and I include N20 as not really all-motor so I wasn't going to spray it. I was thinking of an SMSP Header, PWJDM Carbon Fiber Intake, Jun Cams/Gears/Retainers Type 2/Springs, Headwork(Port/Polish), Intake Manifold, Throttle Body, and 2.5 or 3in. Mandrel Bent piping with some sort of muffler on it, no cat. It will also be tuned and the TB will be port-matched of course. What kind of numbers should I see???

So my question is when they talk about the H22 only making about 200WHP with all these bolt-ons and such is about 200WHP all I'm going to see withought spray or increasing the bore and/or stroke?

I want to keep keep this build all-motor(I already have a Turbo'd SOHC) but don't want to spend all this money for 30HP or so.

I just thought the H22A came with 200-220HP stock and estimated it to be about 170-180 to the wheels stock. I have a Turbo SOHC(as I mentioned before) and it was tuned and had 160WHT/140WTQ and my mostly stock Hatch is alot quicker. So I just thought it would have about 20-30 more HP and TQ because it just feels and is for a fact that much faster.

Also if anyone has any suggestions on what manifold I should get and what throttle body/size then I'd be grateful if you would let me know.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:32 AM

Default Re: H22 HP Number I'm Confused

More of a boost guy myself...but I think with basic boltons and a good header your easily over 200whp.With the mods youve listed no prob.If you want 230-250,I would recommend some high compression pistons.I would also call a shop or two.DHracing come's to mind when I think NA h22

May want to post this in the prelude forum,since this engine came factory in it.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:26 AM
quicchatch253

im makin 260whp
PM ill tell you what i did to it
Old 01-01-2009, 02:59 PM

I'm actually more of a boost guy myself also but want to do something a little different this time since I already have a Turbo SOHC, soon to be fully built(but hopefully still streetable). I also only hear negative things about the H22 when boosting, unless it's sleeved and such. I just don't feel like having to built cars. Well, I mean I do, but I also need to be semi-practical with one of them since I need something to get me back and forth to work(you know, how I pay for them and all HA). I know most might be thinking a Turbo SOHC you haven't experienced boost and yes I know I would have I'm guessing like double or more HP in the H22 and loads more TQ with just a bolt-on turbo kit but I don't want to spend all that money just to have to rebuild it in like a year or so. That or I would have wasted money on a bolt-on turbo kit and then eventually want to build it knowing that I just wasted all that money because more than likely 90% of the parts wont suffice to reach higher numbers or it's true potential for a built H22. I already did just that(waste money on a bolt-on turbo kit), on the SOHC when now all I want to do is get it built and turn up the boost. I only have so much money and I had already started getting parts to build my SOHC before I even bought the H22 Hatch, including a full Y8 engine to build it while I'm DDing it for now. And also about the Prelude forum. No offense to anyone who Is a prelude fan but thats where I got all my info to start with and now I'm hearing that what I've heard is well, either crappy tuning, dumb people, or what I'm guessin' is that when they talk about the H22 I think most of them are talking USDM H22 which I've also heard makes less HP. Thanks for the help and also I PM'ed you guicchatch253. Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by quicchatch253
im makin 260whp
PM ill tell you what i did to it
I'd like to know what you did?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/J...lyby_26529.htm

This one had most of what you are wanting to do. Before tune on E-manage was like 201 to the wheels after tune 242 to wheels. Completely JDM even in Japan.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:59 PM

The FRM nikasil cylinder walls are actually stronger than B series cylinder walls are.Weak sleeve's is internet miss information...happens ALOT!!!thats why I always recommend calling shops.They learn more in one week then a guy tinkering in his garage for years.

The weak point is the rings lands,but proper tuning can prevent the ringlands from going bye bye... but every motor is different. I've seen several give at 7psi, but then again you have a guy (matt - one fab) that hits 500+whp on a bone stock h22a..This information was taken from "precisionh23a" a moderator here,and he also works at a tuning shop,but the name escape's me.