Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

h22 EG

Old 10-21-2006, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22 EG

94 coupe is the car...i did search too...
guys using h22's what kind of suspension upgrades are you doing to keep the car handling good?ive heard horrible things about h22 swaps handling like *** in civics.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's like a 70lb difference. They don't handle like ****, but you can't go autocrossing with them. In autocross you have too much inertia in one direction that when you turn turn quickly in the opposite direction the engine tends to "throw its weight around." You won't run into problems on the road, but if u autocross the H22 isn't for you.

Lemme find Archidictus, he's a suspension god, he can tell you if there's anything you could do. Other than that, I don't know anything about making the H22 not throw its weight around.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:16 AM

Default Re: h22 EG (pepperinyoureye)

thats why you stick with b series. why do you think a 200 hp motor is just as much as an ls motor or b16.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Syndacate)

Stop spreading your lies.

You can autocross without issue in an H22 swapped Civic. Don't let these tools tell you otherwise. As mentioned, the weight increase isn't much, but the engine is positioned differently.

Go with the usual recommendations:

- Koni Yellows/Ground Control Coils
- Omnis
- Teins

good tires and a nice rear sway

Etc. if it's not going to be a track car, does it really matter?
Old 10-21-2006, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 EG (eghatch16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eghatch16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats why you stick with b series. why do you think a 200 hp motor is just as much as an ls motor or b16.</TD></TR></TABLE>

- Less support/info for that motor swap (less people have done it)
- parts are slightly rarer and more expensive
- it's a harder swap
- H22's don't make good boost motors...and everybody wants boost as an option"just in case."
Old 10-21-2006, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the car is NOT going to be autocrossed....daily driver and 1/4 mile track on weekends.. i was thinking b16a2 but after seeing a couple last night at the track run 16's with bolt ons im kinda weary....one with cams and bolt ons did run 14.4's all night however...idk i see the h22 as being a better platform cause im used to having alot of torque in my old car (boosted saturn)
Old 10-21-2006, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pepperinyoureye)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pepperinyoureye &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the car is NOT going to be autocrossed....daily driver and 1/4 mile track on weekends.. i was thinking b16a2 but after seeing a couple last night at the track run 16's with bolt ons im kinda weary....one with cams and bolt ons did run 14.4's all night however...idk i see the h22 as being a better platform cause im used to having alot of torque in my old car (boosted saturn)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, if you don't intend on using it for autocross you'll be fine. The weight difference in the engine won't make jack **** of a difference in daily driving. It'll also help you on the track b/c there's more weight on the front axle (less wheel spin). Just don't boost it, H22's aren't boost friendly, if you wanna boost a high HP engine, boost a GSR. If you want to lower it (which I wouldn't recommend by that much due the ground clearance of the engine) any name brand coilovers will work. Though with the stock eg suspension for daily driving (or on the track) you should be fine.

EDIT:
And yes they are very awesome in their track times, the only thing that scares me off about 'em is custom cutting the holes for the linkage and stuff :-\
Old 10-21-2006, 06:51 AM

My friend did this to a civic coupe a few months back. We found the the oil pan sits a lot lover then say a b or d series motor. The weight difference is about 40 pounds. I dont know about autocrossing, but in a straight line, that thing smoked the **** outta my gsr, and he sucks at driving.

honestly, h series are good swaps i think. they're way cheaper, and do produce good numbers.

again, a lot of people dont like h-series swap and say "oh, they so heavy" bullshit. do this real quick: devide the hp by the weight of an h22, and then any bseries motor except the b18c. you get more hp per/lb.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a daily driver with no a/c, sounds like a blast to me.

in florida no less.

have fun baking.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the car will be n/a or a small shot of nitrous on a window switch....
as for the A/c....i havent heard any issues with it,im guessing ac wont work with the h22?or can you make it work via some bracket or something
Old 10-21-2006, 02:52 PM

a H22 is no harder than a B-series swap if you know what your doing and youve planned the swap.

A K20 swap is way more involved than a H22 swap, and people do those into EG's all the time.

The weight differance isnt much at all. You can even autocross with the right suspension setup.

Boost is great on a H22. You can spend about 1 grand over what youd spend on a normal b-series turbo setup and make about 600HP if youve got a good tuner. I have seen 700+WHP H22 civics with about a $4k turbo setup, valvetrain (stock cams), and 9:1 compression.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EKHWhat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Just don't boost it, H22's aren't boost friendly, if you wanna boost a high HP engine, boost a GSR. If you want to lower it (which I wouldn't recommend by that much due the ground clearance of the engine) any name brand coilovers will work. Though with the stock eg suspension for daily driving (or on the track) you should be fine.

EDIT:
And yes they are very awesome in their track times, the only thing that scares me off about 'em is custom cutting the holes for the linkage and stuff :-\</TD></TR></TABLE>

H22A's can be boosted just fine. There's a limit to what they can take on stock sleeves yes, but if they're sleeved they'll do more than a B series will do, all depends how far you want to go, what your goals are, and how much you want to spend.

If you're looking for a daily driver with some drag duties on the weekend, I think the H22 is a great option (yes I'm biased). Stock it's going to run better than most B series, except ITR (pretty close to even is the consensus I think), which is a bit more money. Yes you do have to cut holes in your car, took me all of 2 hours, taking my time to get it right the first time, to cut all the holes, mount the shifter, and get the linkages hooked up. First time I ever did it too, it's made out to be much harder than it actually is. Downside is it's more involved, and less people have done it so it can be difficult to find local support. Plenty of know-how on these forums though.

Suspension wise, I'm running Ground Controls on Koni Yellows, and it's handling quite well so far, and I have more to add to it.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They don't handle like ****, but you can't go autocrossing with them. In autocross you have too much inertia in one direction that when you turn turn quickly in the opposite direction the engine tends to "throw its weight around." </TD></TR></TABLE>
It's not like the H22 has a huge moment of inertia compared to everything else out there. The tendancy to not turn is there with every engine, it's overcome with suspension tuning. And the difference between B-series and H-series is more like 35lbs.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Other than that, I don't know anything about making the H22 not throw its weight around.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Options include stiff rear springs or a sway bar.