Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

H22 on the CX will smoke the Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 on the CX will smoke the Corvette?

This is my 1st topic...so here goes nothing.

I have a 98 CX with saw-blades and good tires and a 98 EX engine. On Sunday around 3 A.M., I was coming home from Tennessee (I-59). I was teased by a new Corvette. I have 5 { }peps total in car with no leg room and cruising 90 mph then I see a car (Corvette) coming from behind then passes me by very smoothly. I was bored because the was no car in sight, so I shift to 4th gear and "try" to catch up. I caught up and passed him (he slowed down)(95mph). 30 seconds later he zoom up and teased me with his incredible speed.

I have been wanting an H22 obd II, but I have read and found many broken AXLE topics. So I post this and hope to get some <<<TRUE>>> advices. I don't want to be teased around on highways especially with many passengers. Any help on the <<PRE-Swap>> information would help greatly. Any comments from:
1 axle
2 mounts
3 price
4 how/where to buy the h22 obd II
5 pros/cons
6 anything

I want to thank you for reading an posting some right comments/help/advices. ( no, I did not proof-read so don't laugh at my wordings)
Old 06-13-2002, 04:47 PM
VTEC

Default Re: H22 on the CX will smoke the Corvette? (LilSilver)

Whether you are teased or not, I don't think you should be speeding and playing with a Corvette or any other car on the freeway, especially with passengers in the car. You are responsible for those people in the car, and if anything bad happens, it'll all fall on you.

As for an H22 in a CX, you probably will not spank a C5 Corvette...

Old 06-13-2002, 05:25 PM

I've smoked a 'vette with my H22'd SI hatch.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:35 PM

1) there are many online places that make custom axles that are way stronger. They have many stages available.
2)be more specific here, what do you want to know? just buy a mount kit.
3)Anywhere from 3500-7000
4)IAS or other like places.
5)Pros :Massive torque, bragging rights
Cons:Traction issues, Axles but that can be resolved, No P/S, Weight but it is
debatable
6) I want one too
Old 06-13-2002, 06:39 PM

Default Re: H22 on the CX will smoke the Corvette? (VTEC)

Go with the GS-R motor(B18C1) if you are serious about a swap and do some work and you'll have a lil rice rocket :D ..........

With some work i'm sure you could hang with a vette.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:28 PM

Hi i offer the Swap in so cali for $4150. It is a complete swap with labor everything out the door. This price is for a JDM H22a with 200hp. For obd-2 H22a it will be more. I have never had a problem with axles. THe axles we supply are strong and the mounts that we use keep the axles straight. As far as beating a c5 corvette with the proper mods it is possible to beat them. We have done the swaps and have seen consistent mid to low 13-sec with a stock h22a into a cx on slicks and with our setups seen mid to low 12-sec on slicks. Again these times are street driven civics on pump gas! Not a race car!
Old 06-13-2002, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: H22 on the CX will smoke the Corvette? (prospeed)

Hi i offer the Swap in so cali for $4150. It is a complete swap with labor everything out the door. This price is for a JDM H22a with 200hp. For obd-2 H22a it will be more. I have never had a problem with axles. THe axles we supply are strong and the mounts that we use keep the axles straight. As far as beating a c5 corvette with the proper mods it is possible to beat them. We have done the swaps and have seen consistent mid to low 13-sec with a stock h22a into a cx on slicks and with our setups seen mid to low 12-sec on slicks. Again these times are street driven civics on pump gas! Not a race car!
good lord 2000$ for an install?
your NUTS
Old 06-13-2002, 07:44 PM

Default Re: H22 on the CX will smoke the Corvette? (KAMiN)

Lets see Mount kit,custom axles, rewiring for h22a into civic, obd-2 to obd-1 conversion Complete motor including (motor,trans,ecu,shiftlinkage) And seting up the shiftlinkage properly including pulling out the motor and dropping in the h22a into the car. Hmmm I don't know where you can get a h22a swap into a civic for $2150? or even $2500 or do you think a h22a will just drop right in with no mods? to the car?
Old 06-13-2002, 09:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

id just do it myself, haha.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: H22 on the CX will smoke the Corvette? (RICErocket03)

assuming your suspension is stable enough, you could hang with, if not slightly pull a stock C5 vette on the highway till you run out of gear, at which point he'd keep climin all the way to 172 MPH
Old 06-13-2002, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 on the CX will smoke the Corvette? (hot_EF)

ive raced a few corvettes and won,but not a c5 yet.But i tell ya...Those mustangs are fun to beat!
Old 06-13-2002, 11:05 PM
New User

Default Re: H22 on the CX will smoke the Corvette? (aeolus)

ive raced a few corvettes and won,but not a c5 yet.But i tell ya...Those mustangs are fun to beat!
true true.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:09 AM
VTEC

Whether you are teased or not, I don't think you should be speeding and playing with a Corvette or any other car on the freeway, especially with passengers in the car. You are responsible for those people in the car, and if anything bad happens, it'll all fall on you.

man ...shut up...if you dont have an answer to his question then dont say anything...you are one of those ppl that make this damn forum so fucken boring and stupid....he can do what he wants...keep your opinion to yourself

Hmmm...I've read countless stories of people dying in street races, usually with passengers in the car that also ended up dying. The driver (can't speak for the dead passengers) was definitely doing what he wanted.

As for the topic, he asked a question, I gave an answer. Will an H22 smoke a Corvette? Well, I don't think so. I will explain why...

Define smoke? Now, it is implied that "smoking" another car is to UNDISPUTEDLY beat another car. What does it take to UNDISPUTEDLY beat a C5 Corvette? By simply putting in an H22 in a Civic CX? I don't think so.

Is it possible for an H22 Civic to smoke a C5 Corvette? Yes, but it will take other things besides the engine and transmission.

You didn't have anything to say regarding the original topic, now did you? What you should have done is PM me. I'm not gonna argue about this anymore on the forum...if you still wanna argue, let's do it through PMs...
Old 06-14-2002, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

We have done the swaps and have seen consistent mid to low 13-sec with a stock h22a into a cx on slicks and with our setups seen mid to low 12-sec on slicks. Again these times are street driven civics on pump gas! Not a race car!
New Z06's touch 11's in the 1/4 mile stock I believe, and pull something like 1.02G on the skidpad.
Old 06-14-2002, 06:55 AM

Default Re: H22 on the CX will smoke the Corvette? (PatrickGSR94)

I think there are many comments on this than advises, but that's good. I rather get something better than nothing. Thank you for all of the advises and comments.

About the passenger issue, you are right ""VTEC"". I should have not done anything like that. I sure don't want anything to happen regarding accidents.

Thank you all.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:47 AM

What are saw blades and why are all these h22 owners coming out of the woodwork or am i just not noticing them until a topic like this comes up?
Old 06-14-2002, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 on the CX will smoke the Corvette? (RedHatch)

ive seen a H22 CX (stripped down) at the track running high 12's @103-107mph traps with a stock H22 w/LSD, ghettod ram air and 2.5" exhaust on STREET TIRES 185/65 stock steelies w/ hubcaps
Old 06-14-2002, 09:46 AM
l

well i know that my friends naturally aspirated bug continually breaks off new vette's at the race track.... a modded h22a with traction and 1 person should be comparable
Old 06-14-2002, 10:00 AM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't know if my H22 hatch would beat a C5 cause I've never raced one (yet). But when I had the turbo B20 in the hatch (boosting 12 lbs), of fawk.... I'd just leave a C5 on the freeway like it was nothing. For comparson, the H22 does not have as much top end power as the turbo B20, but it's pretty damn quick up there for a stock motor.

Time comparasons I've run a the track, on slicks:

12.6@111mph -- stock H22 with open header
11.6@119mph -- turbo B20 @ 12 lbs of boost, off the downpipe

Obviously there's going to be a lot of factors to weigh in when you ask a question like "which car is faster?" or "will my/this car beat this or that car?"

Old 06-14-2002, 10:41 AM

Default Re: H22 on the CX will smoke the Corvette? (Newman)

Newman-----

Was the turbo B20 fully built?

What size slicks were you using for both?

BTW those are 2 sick motors to have in a hatch

Old 06-14-2002, 11:41 AM

man ...shut up...if you dont have an answer to his question then dont say anything...you are one of those ppl that make this damn forum so fucken boring and stupid....he can do what he wants...keep your opinion to yourself
Why dont you take your own advice? This forum is not boring its very informative.If you dont like it here then you can leave. The only thing I have to say is you can do what ever you want but keep it on the track. I dont want to read that a hatch went out of control and killed 5 people on the freeway
Old 06-14-2002, 12:21 PM
VTEC

Try asking Gil at http://www.placeracing.com as I'm pretty sure he is experienced with this kind of swap.

If your goal is to beat a C5 or other car of comparable performance, it is possible. At least you have a goal. With time and money and hard work, you can do it. Be specific with your goal...do you want a 1/4 mile C5 spanker? Do you want an all-around good handling car (ie Solo2 or road course hot lapper)? These are merely two different points in a very wide spectrum of what is possible with an H22.

I'm not ******* you by saying that you can't beat a C5 just by dropping in an H22. You'll also need to work on suspension and tires to help harness the extra power from an H22. Notice how some people in this thread have stated the 1/4 mile times of an H22 Civic, but that the H22 Civic HAD SLICKS.

Be very patient, and do a lot of research. It's better to do everything once and take forever, than to have a rush job with many niggling problems. I can't offer any insight on the specifics because I have no experience with an H22 in a Civic. Good luck!

Also, email Jeff Sloan at jeff652@dragracer.com as he is building a Civic hatchback that is going to have an H22 Type R (Accord Type R from Britain I think) put into a Civic hatchback. He currently has a B18C5-powered hatchback that is a killer track car (see below).

Old 06-14-2002, 12:31 PM

dat is a nice car...
Old 06-15-2002, 12:43 PM

I hear you "vtec" and thanks for all the supports you have been giving.
Old 06-15-2002, 01:01 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: H22 on the CX will smoke the Corvette? (RedHatch)

What are saw blades and why are all these h22 owners coming out of the woodwork or am i just not noticing them until a topic like this comes up?
Saw blades=92+ Civic EX hubcaps

Quick Reply: H22 on the CX will smoke the Corvette?