Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

H.I.D question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H.I.D question...

I was wondering whats the maximum Kelvin's that u can put on a 2000 si with out using filters n optional fuse wiring ...
Old 08-18-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: H.I.D question... (dohc_si)

Kalvin Temp of HID's have nothing to do with the wiring.

Check out http://www.hidplanet.com/
Old 08-19-2005, 09:50 PM

yeah i know my question was what would be the bestest way to have the best kelvin's available with out having all that crap wiring for example u get a regular HID kit n it comes with ballast,fuses,extra wires....if u look at the infinity G-35 it comes with a little ballast n an hid bulb thats itttttttt.......real expert help
Old 08-19-2005, 10:45 PM

You should look into the McCulloch HID kits. They use your factory plug from your headlights and come with a rebased bulb. That way it fits like a regular bulb. They are very nice. We have sold lots of them at my shop. 8000k 10000k and 12000k available.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with a HID kit. Go ahead and get a plug and play unit for your car cause it will completely fry your stock harness.

The reason you need a new harness for HID is basic common sense. Your stock 22 gauge wiring can only handle a 10amp max current draw.

Now HID's can pull as much as 30 amps in the warm up session and have a steady 13-15amp draw. this will destroy your stock harness sooner or later and its not fun replacing that harness trust me i learned the hardway.

BTW dont get a HID kit and here is a Post i made that shows you why HID kits are bad.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1104891
Old 08-20-2005, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just get projectors
Old 08-20-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW dont get a HID kit and here is a Post i made that shows you why HID kits are bad.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1104891</TD></TR></TABLE>
i agree.. most kits have horrible focus.. they shoot all over the place.. but i've found one company that uses only phillip bulbs and ballast.. they really take care to have proper focus even on an oem reflector.. so far this is the only kit i've found that does it.. although i haven't really seen the more recent ones.

here's the beam off my civic.. all the light is on the ground.. if you put it against a wall even from 20 ft. away, you'll see a cutoff.. i have a retrofit in my accord and the civic's kit is putting more light on the ground..
Old 08-20-2005, 10:02 AM

Thankx for the help...does anybody know where i can find the smallast oem hid kit for 2000 si with the sharpess & smoothes cut off glare kinda like BMW
Old 08-20-2005, 10:21 AM

Yup do a retrofit. BMW E46 Bixenon projectors seem to be very popular.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:11 AM

yep, bixenon's are probably the best choice so you retain the highbeam
Old 08-20-2005, 07:29 PM

thankz but no projectors on my ride...oem JDM style all the way thats why im asking this questions...
Old 08-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohc_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thankz but no projectors on my ride...oem JDM style all the way thats why im asking this questions... </TD></TR></TABLE>

You aren't going to be able to achieve a beam pattern or cut-off that even approaches the quality of an OEM HID system unless you retrofit projectors or reflectors that were specifically designed for use with HID capsules.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: H.I.D question... (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You aren't going to be able to achieve a beam pattern or cut-off that even approaches the quality of an OEM HID system unless you retrofit projectors or reflectors that were specifically designed for use with HID capsules. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i used to think it was true until i installed the sij kit in my civic.. it puts more light on the ground than my accord with retrofits and my friend's 3-series oem hids.. however, i do agree that MOST of the kits out there are still horrible.. but i wouldn't expect much precision from a 150 kit..

i'm in socal, if you don't believe me and would like to see it in person, you're more than welcome to.. i'll try to take a pic of the retrofit pic in the same location i took the civic pic.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: H.I.D question... (syclone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by syclone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i used to think it was true until i installed the sij kit in my civic.. it puts more light on the ground than my accord with retrofits and my friend's 3-series oem hids.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It isn't merely a question of dumping light on the ground. The dispersion and shape of the beam pattern, as well as the sharpness of the cutoff are both extremely important, and I would be very, very surprised to see an HID kit in Civic halogen housings that performs better than an OEM HID setup.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Re: H.I.D question... (Padawan)

yes i know what you mean.. it does have a nice cutoff to prevent glare.. you can see from the pic i posted that the light is controlled.. you can't even see the cars on the way left, or the houses, or the trees.. and yes i was shocked to see that performance from an oem halogen reflector.. but i saw it 3 times.. i was the installer for the 3 test kits.. a 9006 kit, an h4 kit (in my civic), and an h1 kit.. all the results were the same.. but the h4 kit in the civic has the highest output..

i know it's hard to believe.. which is why i invited skeptics to see for themselves if they live around my area.. l.a.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:45 PM

this is how your hid should look...kits in halogen housings are a nono....if you ant to be jdm all the way you shouldnt have hid...lol...btw these are european ECE e46 projectors i have on my car
Old 08-20-2005, 10:59 PM

Default Re: H.I.D question... (steel)

i give up.. i'm talking to brick wall..
Old 08-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to the original poster: i have a 2000 Si as well, i was thinking of getting these, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1 , what's wrong with projectors anyway...? the chrome ring is a tad ugly...i cant find any pics of projectors on 99-00 Si's, bummer..
Old 08-20-2005, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never get a pnp hid kit. the light output is great, but beam pattern is terrible, not to also mention that youll be blinding oncoming traffic and people behind you.

Retrofits are the way to go. Also, there isnt such a thing for "maximum" kelvins on a car. I would do 6oook if i were to retro a set.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:04 PM

thankz for the help guyz really appreciated...but i wanna be JDM/OEM all the way is there any possiblity that someone/somewhere would have the best HID kit oem ofcourse like 6000K's that would have the sharpess glare lines...hummmm
Old 08-21-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: H.I.D question... (steel)

does your projector have a leveler adjuster like BMW's they have an oem level adjuster that operates by itself...
Old 08-21-2005, 07:32 PM

In my retrofit i use the old school denji projectors. and i make all my retrofits fit in there with no added holes. you couldnt even tell where i mounted them if u tried
Old 08-21-2005, 07:41 PM

here is a set of E55 Bixenons that i did. i used the old school housings just cause there old school and i like the look of them. plus i have dual high beams. the HID from the bixenon and 110w Piaa h1's

If you notice there is not 1 since added hole in the housings. with OEM housing it sucks because you gotta hack it all to hell.

Old 08-22-2005, 07:38 PM

hey do u have any oem hids on u that u can hook it up...
Old 08-23-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: (dohc_si)

the acura cL does not have projectors but they still have a cutoff line and when i looked in side it had a shield and his bulbs were partly coated with some kind ok black stuff..i want a cutoff line to but cant find a diff way then retrofiting

Quick Reply: H.I.D question...