Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

guys, i need help with my honda civic lx 98

Old 06-25-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default guys, i need help with my honda civic lx 98

here is the problem.
sometimes when i try to start my car i can't start it,i gotta try to start like 10 times ,may be more or less.the ignition works fine,because engine starts then it turns off.
and when i'm driving the car sometimes(rarely) the engine turns off and that's big problem.then it takes me more then 1minute to start it again.
the car does all of this when is hot weather outside,i mean in high temperature.night time and in cool weather car works just fine without any problems i mentioned above.
mechanic told me its fuel pump,so i changed it but still same sh*t.right now i don't know what to do u know.also i changed fuel filter and air filter.
i just want to know if somebody here had the same problem and what cause that problem.
my friend told me that's might be one of the sensors.
thx in advance

Modified by kikacha at 3:59 PM 6/25/2007
Old 06-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: guys, i need help with my honda civic lx 98 (kikacha)

Go to a Honda dealer and buy a main relay, start there. Its the cheapest part to replace, and most often the one that causes those types of problems, especially when it gets very hot.

If that doesnt fix the problem, you will most likely need to replace the ignition switch. I believe in those cars you cant just buy the switch from the dealership, they make you buy the whole steering lock. (with a key and all) Its around 100 bucks. Buy the part, and just throw the new switch on your car.

Id say its one of those.

Heres a diagram of where the main relay is....number 11 on the list

Heres the steering switch....number 2 on the list.

Start with the main relay first.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: guys, i need help with my honda civic lx 98 (NAisBEST)

Theres also a safety recall issued by honda for faulty ignition switches. If the recall was not already performed on your car, any Honda dealer should replace yours for free, as its a safety hazard as the car can randomly stall as you say yours does.

If youd like, PM me your VIN and I can see if the recall was done on your car already.

edit....I see you are a trial user, if you are unable to PM me, shoot me an email and Ill check for you. Octopusfart7@aol.com
Old 06-28-2007, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: guys, i need help with my honda civic lx 98 (NAisBEST)

i'm really in big problem,man.yesterday i changed main relay and same problem.i don't know what to do next. i changed fuel pump,air filter,fuel filter and main relay but still nothing,sometimes can't start the car but that's ok.big problem is while i'm driving engine turns off sometimes.that's pain in as*.