Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Guys, i am new, and i will need all the input i can get!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys, i am new, and i will need all the input i can get!

Well, to start off, i must say that this forum is the best one i have seen, but i have to give respect to board.hondasociety.com, which is most occupied with accord owners. By the way, i just bought a 93 civic cx hatch 5 speed. my questions are as follows:
1.- What is the best solution to fix the rust on the rear wheel well areas, which is pretty common for 93s cars from honda?

2.- What type of engine output is this car putting on crank, and wheels? What is the next step most of you would take to make this car be A SLEEPER, which is what i am leaning forward to?

3.- I need to know, HOW MUCH, WHAT TYPE, WHAT SPECS are, to spend on a motor swap? And, what type of suspension is good, after the swap would be done. Remember, i am in Chicago, and racing is mostly forbidden due to cops all over the place, so i would only recommend giving me tips which i know i am able to afford, as well as, have.

Thanks for your input.

L8r.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Guys, i am new, and i will need all the input i can get! (naujcdl)

1. i don't know, i don't live in an area where rust is a problem
2. like 70 at the crank and 60 at the wheels. it doesn't matter, toss the motor in the trash, you will never get anything out of it unless you do a head swap/turbo
3. everything depends on what you are willing to spend, how fast you want to go, and what type of setup you want. i need more information
Old 03-25-2003, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Guys, i am new, and i will need all the input i can get! (Spoon Hybrid)

for the rust, they are two spots on each side on the back wheel wells, but i will figure out a way to prevent that.

as for the motor, i am really interested on info that would lead me to a supplier of a gsr motor, which i will eventually buy and jrs along with it.

not too fast, just enough to leave some cars behind me, which i know i could beat, read the second sentence, and how is the jdm from the usdm engine? particularly the gsr, thanks.

[Modified by naujcdl, 6:21 AM 3/26/2003]
Old 03-25-2003, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember, i am in Chicago, and racing is mostly forbidden due to cops all over the place
hehe, yep, no one street races in Chicago.

1. Best solution would probably be to buy new body panels from Honda and have them repainted, a cheaper one is to have a body shop cut the rusted section out and weld in new sheet metal.

2. I don't remember how much hp that engine makes exactly, but it is far from impressive.

3. Start researching different Honda engines, just search these forums, there is plenty of good info. Take your time to learn a thing or two, you will be happier in the end.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.importautosalvage.com will help you out with the motor, give them a call.

a supercharged GSR motor in a cx hatchback would be pretty killer, you could probably knock off mid 12s... difference between the USDM and JDM GSR motor is a couple points of compression, USDM makes 170 and JDM makes 180. if you are going to boost it anyway, i would go with USDM because lower compression is better for boost.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Guys, i am new, and i will need all the input i can get! (Spoon Hybrid)

all of you guys have been a great help, besides, my accord is anxious for a turbo as well, but warranty is good for another three years, so f4%$ it.

Now, with the usdm, is it cheaper, or more expensive? Also, i will research a bunch on this, but i heard of some axels or something like that and wiring, which would be changed, no matter what??

Thanks for your input, and looking forward to more comments.

l8r.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:38 PM
TSPeed Factory

a GSR motor is by far the best all around motor you can get for your car, but don't expect it to be easy to find one for cheap. if you want a GSR nowadays you're going to have to pay one pretty penny for it. or you could swap a 99-00 civic si motor in and it'll push out 160 hp at the crank and will probably be a little cheaper and easier to find than a GSR motor.

[Modified by AzntaggeR, 10:40 PM 3/25/2003]
Old 03-25-2003, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Guys, i am new, and i will need all the input i can get! (AzntaggeR)

to swap a gsr motor in your car you'll need the complete tranny ecu ect... same axles as well if you can get a usdm with a uncutr harness it will make life better. ither way you'll have a to wire vtec and the secondaires ( i had my friend do mine i really am at a loss at how to) also you will need the shift linkage from the gsr motor as well.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:51 PM

Try this thread. It has alot of info.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=453004
Old 03-26-2003, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Guys, i am new, and i will need all the input i can get! (Zanpakuro)

now, i read that and it was pretty usefull, but i still have a question... Someone at work talked to me about this:
"you can build that d15 motor and put a jrs in it and you should be fine..." now, if that is what i would do, what are the things that would have to be changed, what are the specs to see, and how much would this cost to do? i mean, i want to know if it is/isn't worth building that engine so i make it do what it can be or....

Thanks guys. Please help me out, clear some answers.

l8r.