Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gutting Interior in Southern California: What's legal? What's illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gutting Interior in Southern California: What's legal? What's illegal?

I'm about to start tearing out the interior of my '92 VX.

Plans are to remove everything out of the interior except driver's seat and dash. But, before I start, I would like to know what is and is not illegal to remove.

I have not attempted it or seen it done so I would appreciate it if anyone would give me tips/heads-up on how to overcome obstacles I may encounter while doing this.

TIA

[Modified by ESCALVANTE, 4:11 AM 1/16/2002]
Old 01-15-2002, 07:03 PM
B18C-EJ1

Default Re: Gutting Interior in Southern California: What's legal? What's illegal? (ESCALVANTE)

anything but safety equipment is legal to remove.

I.e. Airbags & Seatbelts are illegal to remove.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gutting Interior in Southern California: What's legal? What's illegal? (ESCALVANTE)

screw being legal, without your door panels it is hella dangerous. imagine if you get T-boned. just remove your carpeting. for the track remove the rear seats. i mean you drive a VX. there isn't much sound deadning under the carpets or anything.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is what i have removed from my 95 CX:
carpet, rear panels, back seats, cargo cover, spare tire and cover, tail lining, hatch struts and some other minor stuff.
what i have left is the dash, front seats, door panels, roof lining.
i wouldn't recomend removing door panels and passenger seat (what for?). how are you gonna take you date out???
mine looks pretty good and it's legal. i'll try to post some pics later on... don't have any right now.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:57 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Gutting Interior in Southern California: What's legal? What's illegal? (EG6JDMspec)

I don't know how you can stand the road noise of having no interior. I really hope it's worth it to you. *shudder*
Old 01-15-2002, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gutting Interior in Southern California: What's legal? What's illegal? (EG6JDMspec)

this is what i have removed from my 95 CX:
carpet, rear panels, back seats, cargo cover, spare tire and cover, tail lining, hatch struts and some other minor stuff.
what i have left is the dash, front seats, door panels, roof lining.
i wouldn't recomend removing door panels and passenger seat (what for?). how are you gonna take you date out???
mine looks pretty good and it's legal. i'll try to post some pics later on... don't have any right now.
would you like to sell your cargo cover?
Old 01-15-2002, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gutting Interior in Southern California: What's legal? What's illegal? (SkyeC)

initial_B: I subscribe to the notion that every bit counts and if I were to get T-boned in this car, depending on the velocity of the other car, I am a gonner with or without door panels. Door panels are plastic and do not serve as safety devices but they do add a tiny bit of weight.

EG6JDMspec: I've got another nicer car for the dates and I think I will end up removing the seat but leaving the brackets just in case I want to carry a passenger/girl.

SkyeC: I jump in that nicer car when I think I get tired of the road/car noise. But then, I drop the top and I am back at square one. Loud raspy inline 6, hissing 17x9" wheel and tire combo, buffeting wind in the cockpit, but a much smoother ride.
When driving fast/modified cars, the road/car noise thing comes with the territory and I think I'm used to it.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i mean sh_t i'm gutted too but removing the doorpanels look sh_tty and if i did get tee boned, i would rather have the plastic doorpanel than just metal with sharp edges.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gutting Interior in Southern California: What's legal? What's illegal? (initial_B)

I belive any exposed wiring or wires is considered an "unsafe" vehicle. My friend got busted for that after the stupid cops themselves took out all the panels to search the car for no apparent reason.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gutting Interior in Southern California: What's legal? What's illegal? (boostedeg6)

don't have the cargo cover any more....
Old 01-16-2002, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I gutted my interior, I left any panel in place that covers sharp metal near me. Like door panels, pillars and the front half of the headliner.
Old 01-16-2002, 05:52 AM

Default Re: Gutting Interior in Southern California: What's legal? What's illegal? (Gasoline Fumes)

off topic a bit......but love your website gasoline fumes!!!
Old 01-16-2002, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gutting Interior in Southern California: What's legal? What's illegal? (initial_B)

initial_B: I think I want to leave the driver's side door panel in because I like the arm rest. I might cut off the lower half though.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gutting Interior in Southern California: What's legal? What's illegal? (MiGs)

you should be fine
Old 01-16-2002, 02:42 PM
Trial User

A friend of mine got caught street racing in his hatchback that only had a drivers seat steering wheel and monster tach. All he got was a speeding ticket. ( not even a speed contest ticket or anything)
Old 01-16-2002, 03:24 PM
Banned

Default Re: Gutting Interior in Southern California: What's legal? What's illegal? (50percentRice)

why do you remove your spare tire, i mean if u get a flat your screwed. I HIGHLY doubt someone will just give u their spare tire. I'd rather have it and be a little bit slower than get a flat and be stranded.

[Modified by blykins, 12:25 AM 1/17/2002]
Old 01-16-2002, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gutting Interior in Southern California: What's legal? What's illegal? (Johnny Tran)

off topic a bit......but love your website gasoline fumes!!!
Thanks.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:37 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Gutting Interior in Southern California: What's legal? What's illegal? (boostedeg6)

ive got a cargo cover from my old 92 SI hatchback i totaled i could get rid of.. it has holes already cut in it for some 5x7 rear speakers cause not a lot of hatchbacks had rear speakers or atleast my SI didnt.. let me know if your interested ill get you a pic of it also..